PDA

View Full Version : Gallatin steam plant

Jdkxtreme
12-05-2012, 09:42 PM
I want to fish here some. I know nothing about it and since new to boats I am a bit intimidated. I would like to ask for a ride with someone when they are headed that way. I could either just follow in my boat or ride along with you. I just hate to put people out. I just do not want to screw up out there on my first trip. I am pretty open most of the time during the week.

gboyce
12-05-2012, 09:58 PM
I may try to head out Fri morning long as my honey do list is all done. The only concern you really have coming in there from the main river channel. When you make the turn make sure you are past the rock island a bit and slow down as the sand bar is only about 3 ft deep. Once past that you are pretty safe. Once you learn the sand bar area its easy to get in and out. I come in at times on full plane w a 21 ft Triton and 225 hp motor and don't hit bottom at all.

Andy M
12-05-2012, 10:33 PM
It's not that bad getting in, I come in on plane between the 2nd and 3rd green buoys coming from the flippers side. It's where the old channel came out. Stay Away from the 3rd buoy that's where the old island and rocks are. Also make sure you trolling motor battery is fully charged because fighting the current can drain it quick. Also a one more note, please idle through the channel if there is any other boats, I know this should be obvious but I fish there all winter and it never fells that someone comes by at half throttle and nearly runs everyone else on the bank. PM me sometime and maybe we can meet up and go.

txnative
12-05-2012, 10:43 PM
I'll be there in the morning (thurs 12/6) in my kayak. The rock pile you need to watch for should be exposed, and someone took the kindness to mark it with a pole that has surveyor flags on it. If you see me (blue kayak with about 6 rods sticking up in the air), feel free to come up (slowly, please) and say hi. Actually, that goes for everyone...I'll be there twice or more weekly, and have no problem sharing info or just shooting the breeze.

Chris

Andy M
12-05-2012, 10:48 PM
I'll be there in the morning (thurs 12/6) in my kayak. The rock pile you need to watch for should be exposed, and someone took the kindness to mark it with a pole that has surveyor flags on it. If you see me (blue kayak with about 6 rods sticking up in the air), feel free to come up (slowly, please) and say hi. Actually, that goes for everyone...I'll be there twice or more weekly, and have no problem sharing info or just shooting the breeze.

Chris

Your right about the rocks the lake was down about a foot on Monday. I have a 18' 96 model Procraft with a 150 merc, feel free to give me a shout if ya see me also.

gboyce
12-05-2012, 11:09 PM
I am not sure the lake is down so much as I have heard a there is a new guy in charge (TVA?) and that is going to be the new lake level now. I had heard this was due to the flood and to give them more play room if that happens again. But yes the rock island is very exposed ATM. And I agree with the idling thru the channel. I have no idea how many times I have been drifting and someone comes zipping past me. While I'm in a bigger boat and don't worry about the waves from it, it is just plain out obnoxious.

Jim
12-05-2012, 11:44 PM
I agree with all of the other posts. No need to be intimidated about the steam plant. It is a big community hole with no real secrets. Lots of ways to catch fish, but it can get packed with boats and as long as you take it slow, most people are very nice. DO NOT run on a plane in the canal or you will make enemies fast!

If you are passing other anchored boats, their lines are usually downstream so pass off to the side. Most people will not anchor in the middle of the canal as it makes it hard for other boats to pass. Also don't try to anchor up just downstream of another boat. You will be setting up on their lines. Just find an open area on either side of the canal if you want to anchor.

You can also trolling motor and cast to the shore, bass fishing style, if you want. It is a good way to learn the area.

Right now the fish are not packed in the canal so you can fish all around the area and find something biting. The bluffs opposite the canal can be good as can most shoreline wood all the way down to Flippers.

It is a pretty good time to learn the canal as it is not packed like in the coldest part of the winter.

Always have some type of skipjack rig on one rod. Double white crappie-sized jigs are hard to beat. Reel them fast and erratic and you will catch skippies. They are a lot of fun to catch.

Other than that, almost every type of fish can be found in there so use whatever bait you like for whatever you like to catch and it could work.

Good luck,
Jim

Alphahawk
12-06-2012, 07:53 AM
I have not fished there since early 1970's...and that was from the bank. Do Gills hang around up in there during the winter? What is the usual water temp in there during winter?

Regards

Andy M
12-06-2012, 08:05 AM
I have not fished there since early 1970's...and that was from the bank. Do Gills hang around up in there during the winter? What is the usual water temp in there during winter?

Regards

Yes, I caught several trying to catch crappie on minnow this week. Temp stays 60-68 during the winter depending where (boils or mouth) you are and the lake temp.

Jdkxtreme
12-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Here is the map I found

Jim
12-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Here is the map I found

Cool! That is a map I made for a project for my company. Nice to see people finding it.

Here is a marked up pic to show you the canal.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5WUIWzO2Bmg/TSZ3FtK4KeI/AAAAAAAAAiE/mNkIoMgHXQ0/s640/stream%2520plant1.jpg

The little rock island with the red flagging sticking out of it is on the Flippers side of the canal right at the mouth. Stay upstream of it about 75 ft and you will be fine.

Jim

Jdkxtreme
12-06-2012, 12:37 PM
thank you

thehick176
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Gboyce....where you out there this past Monday in the white/silver Triton? If so, I was in the white/black Triton. Txnative, it was good talkin with you last Sunday and thanks for updating me on the happenings of the site lol.

txnative
12-06-2012, 08:32 PM
I was there today (thurs 12/6) and spent all my time meat fishing. I caught 5 keeper crappie, biggest was 12", and 10 tilapia, biggest was 13". Gboyce, I appreciate the sauger. I also caught a few stripers, lm and spotted bass, several 'gills, and a drum. They all went back. Had a good time, and bring on the cold water temps.

Chris

Jdkxtreme
12-06-2012, 09:12 PM
How does the bite change at the GSP after a day or night of rain? I may try to had out ther tomorrow around noonish.

txnative
12-06-2012, 09:30 PM
As long as the water doesn't get muddy, things will be the same. If the water does get muddied, fishing gets tough. What are you planning on targeting ?

Chris

Jdkxtreme
12-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Anything really. I am still so new not really for sure. I always take everything and try everything. Any suggestion on what to target and a good set up and I will give it a try

txnative
12-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Crappie: 2" slider grubs on 1/8 oz jigheads, trout magnets, and minnows. Fish near laydowns or in eddies.

Bass: slider grubs like crappie and super fluke jr's (tx rigged). Also keep a rod with a small topwater (3"). Look for fish busting bait near the bank.

Sauger: minnows on bottom in deep water with current

Bluegill: small baits on shallow flats and near laydowns

Skippies: flashy 2"-3" baits or grubs fished erratically. The mouth is the best area, boils next best

Stripers: 3"-4" grubs or super fluke jr's on 1/4 oz jigheads fished in the boils

The vast majority of shad in there are small, around 2-3 inches, and that's what most of the fish are keying on. Stick with a "match the hatch" mentality and you have a good starting point. Don't be afraid to go as small as 1 1/2" either. You can go bigger, but I had success from the mouth to the very back with 2-3 inch slider grubs in tn shad color on a 1/8 or 1/4 oz jighead.

Chris

Jdkxtreme
12-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Awesome. Thank you

Jim
12-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Crappie: 2" slider grubs on 1/8 oz jigheads, trout magnets, and minnows. Fish near laydowns or in eddies.

Bass: slider grubs like crappie and super fluke jr's (tx rigged). Also keep a rod with a small topwater (3"). Look for fish busting bait near the bank.

Sauger: minnows on bottom in deep water with current

Bluegill: small baits on shallow flats and near laydowns

Skippies: flashy 2"-3" baits or grubs fished erratically. The mouth is the best area, boils next best

Stripers: 3"-4" grubs or super fluke jr's on 1/4 oz jigheads fished in the boils

The vast majority of shad in there are small, around 2-3 inches, and that's what most of the fish are keying on. Stick with a "match the hatch" mentality and you have a good starting point. Don't be afraid to go as small as 1 1/2" either. You can go bigger, but I had success from the mouth to the very back with 2-3 inch slider grubs in tn shad color on a 1/8 or 1/4 oz jighead.

Chris

You forgot the 14 inch skipjack on an 8/0 circle hook :D

Jim

gboyce
12-07-2012, 06:50 AM
Yeah that was me out there Monday. We ended up having a pretty good day

txnative
12-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Tried it, no luck. Also dragged a mooneye around to no avail.

Chris

Jdkxtreme
12-07-2012, 12:28 PM
In going to give it a shot here in a few. It's windy but still hope to catch something . I'll be in a bass tracker if you see. It has an expired registration sticker on it. Waiting on my new one.

Travis C.
12-07-2012, 12:36 PM
It has an expired registration sticker on it. Waiting on my new one.

Remind's me of a guy in an old ranger pickup we were stuck behind Thanksgiving weekend. I told my wife, "Look there he's got a tail light out and a cop just past both of us. If it was me he'd pulled me over." Then, I noticed his tags had expired back in 1994 as well.

Some people got the luck...and some are like me. :D

Jdkxtreme
12-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Remind's me of a guy in an old ranger pickup we were stuck behind Thanksgiving weekend. I told my wife, "Look there he's got a tail light out and a cop just past both of us. If it was me he'd pulled me over." Then, I noticed his tags had expired back in 1994 as well.

Some people got the luck...and some are like me. :D

I have the temporary . Just waiting on the sticker.

Jdkxtreme
12-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Well I made it to the GSP. Not as intimidating as I thought it would be. I had no idea what to do when I got there. Several other boats in there as well. Everyone seemed nice and courtious. I caught a Drum, A small ( Very Small ) Stripe and a few small Gills. I did not stay too long. I will try it agin once I have some sort of game plan for it.

jmsjordan
12-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Last time at GSP I got stuck next to island while driving wifey around showing her. Had to jump out of boat and push, was summer time luckly. thanks for map on where to go. I might head there Sunday morning if weather is ok. Champion center console. Would be awesome to ride with someone or I can drive in the future as I am new to the area as well. Thanks
....btw fished under OHD only small sauger being caught and some crappie and white bass. Few keepers, still a little early, and not enough generation. Had a kind soul give me his fish on Friday, if he is a member on this site plz say Hi!
I dont post much....dont catch much, lol.

Brian37075
12-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Made it to the steam plant today caught a bunch of yellow bass and three Tilapia. First time of ever catching a Tilipia.

Jdkxtreme
12-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Made it to the steam plant today caught a bunch of yellow bass and three Tilapia. First time of ever catching a Tilipia.

I just googled a Tilapia. I caught one. I had no idea what it was so I just chucked it back..lol..

Alphahawk
12-09-2012, 11:01 PM

Arkansas stocks Tilapia in a couple of lakes...or used to. They did it for forage but found out they die when the water hits mid 50's. They continued to stock them and when the Fall of the year came and they got close to dying off they would allow people to go out and keep as many as they caught....so they wouldn't go to waste. I am assuming it is because of the GSP that they are able to winter over there. Some reports say they can't take water lower than mid 60's. I was eating the things in Saudi back in 1980. They thrived in fish farms in that hot climate. Do they fight good?...I have read that on UL tackle they can be a lot of fun.

Regards

Jdkxtreme
12-09-2012, 11:16 PM
If that is truly what I caught then it had no fight in it. 4# on an UL spinning reel

txnative
12-10-2012, 09:00 AM
I've been wearing the tilapia out at the GSP. It took a short while to figure them out, but I did it. I caught around 30 or so in 2 hrs on Saturday morning. Biggest one was 14" long and weighed around 2 1/2 lbs (he tasted great, too). I'm hesitant to reveal any info on where/what to catch them since they are pretty easy. They are stacked in one area the size of a car hood, and I was catching them hand over fist till I ran out of bait. I started using lures, but quit keeping them after I had 17 on my stringer. Total weight was around 16 lbs before I filleted them. I ended up with just under 10 lbs of fillets, and gave about half to some relatives.

Chris

Alphahawk
12-10-2012, 09:12 AM
I've been wearing the tilapia out at the GSP. It took a short while to figure them out, but I did it. I caught around 30 or so in 2 hrs on Saturday morning. Biggest one was 14" long and weighed around 2 1/2 lbs (he tasted great, too). I'm hesitant to reveal any info on where/what to catch them since they are pretty easy. They are stacked in one area the size of a car hood, and I was catching them hand over fist till I ran out of bait. I started using lures, but quit keeping them after I had 17 on my stringer. Total weight was around 16 lbs before I filleted them. I ended up with just under 10 lbs of fillets, and gave about half to some relatives.

Chris

Chris I am just curious as to how they fight. But your post indicated they are prolific and can obviously survive the winter here....which is highly unusual. Texas and other states seem to be having problems with these fish....they are concerned they will take over the lakes they are in. The next question is how did they get in there? Makes one wonder if they will start showing up other places.

Regards

Travis C.
12-10-2012, 09:25 AM
I read where they were stocked in various places in TN for algae control in ponds. Probably high water or flood allowed them access to the lake.

Chris.... your cover is blown now man!!! You were supposed to remain the incognito tilapia slayer.:D

txnative
12-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Alpha,

They fight like a 'gill...though the big one did rip drag on 4# line, and I had two break me off. Some are fairly tame, others are much more energetic. The 7"-9" ones are abundant, and they fight ok at best, anything over 10" feels almost like a decent shellcracker. Bigger than that and they will give you a tussle. I was using a med power rod, so I imagine an UL would be great.

I'm assuming they escaped ponds during the flood. They are stocked for weed control, food, and as prey for bass. The ones I'm catching are blue tilapia, and a pure strain blue can tolerate water temps down to 47 degrees. I called TWRA about it, and they know the tilapia are in old hick, but I didn't get much more info from them. I researched them a lot after I caught one lady Sunday, then I tried some of my theories out on Thursday, and by Saturday I had a good handle on things. Looks like they are going to survive in the lake, which means my short list of fish I'll take home just grew by one species :)

Chris

txnative
12-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Chris.... your cover is blown now man!!! You were supposed to remain the incognito tilapia slayer.:D

Only 3 people know my super-secret guaranteed tilapia tactics, and if I see anyone copying them, you and midtnkayakangler must not be able to keep a secret :)

Chris

Travis C.
12-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Only 3 people know my super-secret guaranteed tilapia tactics, and if I see anyone copying them, you and midtnkayakangler must not be able to keep a secret :)

Chris

I am opening a guide service... :p

txnative
12-10-2012, 09:43 AM
I am opening a guide service... :p

LOL

I'll be your silent partner. You do all the work and take care of the start-up costs, and I will provide all the info for a nominal fee, around 40% of the profits seems fair.

Chris

Alphahawk
12-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Alpha,

They fight like a 'gill...though the big one did rip drag on 4# line, and I had two break me off. Some are fairly tame, others are much more energetic. The 7"-9" ones are abundant, and they fight ok at best, anything over 10" feels almost like a decent shellcracker. Bigger than that and they will give you a tussle. I was using a med power rod, so I imagine an UL would be great.

I'm assuming they escaped ponds during the flood. They are stocked for weed control, food, and as prey for bass. The ones I'm catching are blue tilapia, and a pure strain blue can tolerate water temps down to 47 degrees. I called TWRA about it, and they know the tilapia are in old hick, but I didn't get much more info from them. I researched them a lot after I caught one lady Sunday, then I tried some of my theories out on Thursday, and by Saturday I had a good handle on things. Looks like they are going to survive in the lake, which means my short list of fish I'll take home just grew by one species :)

Chris

Thats good. I was thinking it had to be blue tilapia. I don't think any have been caught at Pickwick...Nickajack...Center Hill. But who knows where they will show up. In 1980's up through the mid to late 90's I could buy tilapia for about two dollars a pound. I will never forget the first time my ex-wife and I saw tilapia on a menu on a vacation home. We both just looked at one another and could not believe what they were selling for. Glad you have a good source for them.

Regards

Travis C.
12-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Here's Tilapia Slayers Pics...

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/IMG956523.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/IMG951576.jpg

Travis C.
12-10-2012, 10:30 AM
LOL

I'll be your silent partner. You do all the work and take care of the start-up costs, and I will provide all the info for a nominal fee, around 40% of the profits seems fair.

Chris

That's sound fair to me... there won't be much operational cost as I was going to use Jeremy' boats. :D

Alphahawk
12-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Who needs crappie...LOL. Great looking fish.

Regards

MNfisher
12-10-2012, 11:24 AM
So if I go there, and duplicate this secret technique....I can get Travis C. and midtnkayakangler in trouble?? Haha!

Travis C.
12-10-2012, 11:40 AM
So if I go there, and duplicate this secret technique....I can get Travis C. and midtnkayakangler in trouble?? Haha!

Trust me... you can't duplicate this. It involves chicken blood, voodoo dolls and a garlic necklace.

Ooops, did I just type that outloud. My bad Chris...:D

nomad60
12-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Chicken blood, check.

Garlic necklace (who doesn't own one of those?), check.

Anyone know where I can get some voodoo dolls?

:D

Tilapia is some tasty fish!

Brian37075
12-10-2012, 12:48 PM
I used a minnow and a float. Fished in about 3 feet of water. Distance from minnow to float about 18".

txnative
12-10-2012, 12:51 PM

I wasn't counting you. But since you shook the "no-deer curse" I guess you are a threat to my tilapia stash, too. So the head count of people in on my secret is 4, counting myself.

Chris

PS: a living sacrifice is needed, too, but I won't tell what to sacrifice :)

MNfisher
12-10-2012, 01:35 PM
I wasn't counting you. But since you shook the "no-deer curse" I guess you are a threat to my tilapia stash, too. So the head count of people in on my secret is 4, counting myself.

Chris

PS: a living sacrifice is needed, too, but I won't tell what to sacrifice :)

Haha! Do I need to purchase a tilapia stamp before I go?

txnative
12-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Haha! Do I need to purchase a tilapia stamp before I go?

Yeah, unfortunately. They are $50 for an annual stamp. I am the only one who sells them and I accept cash only.

Chris

MNfisher
12-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Yeah, unfortunately. They are $50 for an annual stamp. I am the only one who sells them and I accept cash only.

Chris

Can I pay you in photos?? I have no money, I spent it all on my camera...haha!

txnative
12-10-2012, 02:41 PM
That'll work. I still honor the barter system :)

We need to get out to the GSP before all the tilapia are gone. Hopefully this rain won't have the river too muddy to fish this weekend. Stripers, white bass, yellow bass, crappie and sauger are there, too. I caught them all this past week, but I got too fixated on tilapia to chase the other species much.

Chris