PDA

View Full Version : Custom made rod.

Alphahawk
12-05-2012, 03:49 PM
I am giving serious consideration to having a rod custom made. The only custom rod I have ever fished is a 9 foot float rod. That is not like casting with a 7 foot spinning rod all day so I cannot base my opinion on that. Has anyone used custom made rods? If so what is your opinion of them. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to spend more than 200 bucks for one and sure could use some different opinions on buying one.

Regards

bfish
12-05-2012, 04:16 PM
I use several custom rods. Don't be fooled by rods made by individual (but massed produced). Some are nice, but most are over priced.

By going custom, you should help choose the power/action of the blank (and possible brand) along with type of guides (and their layout), handle type and size, plus any other "bling" such as colors, wraps, decals, etc.

I generally start looking at getting a custom rod, when my desired factory rods are in the $150-200 price range. Below that, factory rods usually offer too much value for the price, IMO.

Alphahawk
12-06-2012, 07:49 AM
I use several custom rods. Don't be fooled by rods made by individual (but massed produced). Some are nice, but most are over priced.

By going custom, you should help choose the power/action of the blank (and possible brand) along with type of guides (and their layout), handle type and size, plus any other "bling" such as colors, wraps, decals, etc.

I generally start looking at getting a custom rod, when my desired factory rods are in the $150-200 price range. Below that, factory rods usually offer too much value for the price, IMO.

Thanks for the input. I was wondering where the price point was at to go custom. I fish mostly with a couple of Fenwick Elite Tech River Runners. They are 129 dollar rods but amazon had those things at 85 bucks for about a year.....but a great rod for 85 bucks. I am pretty sure I am going to take the plunge and get one made.

Regards

bd-
12-06-2012, 11:55 AM
My experience with custom rods has been that they usually sell for a price that's a little too high for what you're really getting. Most of the time, you can purchase a quality name-brand rod for the same price that will perform better (and come with extras like a warranty that replaces the rod at a low price if you break it).

Most good custom rods get made on the same blanks as the name-brand rods anyway.

If you want something really unique or unusual, a custom rod may be the way to go, but for most fishing applications a mid-to-high end name brand will do you just as well.

That's my opinion anyway.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

Alphahawk
12-06-2012, 02:49 PM
My experience with custom rods has been that they usually sell for a price that's a little too high for what you're really getting. Most of the time, you can purchase a quality name-brand rod for the same price that will perform better (and come with extras like a warranty that replaces the rod at a low price if you break it).

Most good custom rods get made on the same blanks as the name-brand rods anyway.

If you want something really unique or unusual, a custom rod may be the way to go, but for most fishing applications a mid-to-high end name brand will do you just as well.

Thanks for your input. Never owned what would be known as a high end rod. Something else for me to think about.

Regards

Catchingtrout
12-09-2012, 10:39 AM

I toatally agree.

ALANRAYG2
12-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Here is a series of videos on rod building. I have only watched the first one and they find the spine on the rod blank. I doubt that all rod makers go to the trouble of finding the spine before making the rod.
I have had 3 rods made about 15 years ago. I was tourney fishing and wanted the handle thicker and a little shorter than what I could buy. I had a sweet cranking rod and and while traveling in my truck camper a cast skillet slid out of the oven and broke 3 rods in the floor. Needless to say I was heart broken......I sobbed like a baby. I have never replaced them. I don't bass fish much anymore. In the last 4 years I have broke all my 1st string rods and now I am using my second and 3rd string rods. I mostly crappie fish and I would love to get into rod making......maybe someday I will. I have to many hobbies already.
If you know the features you want in a rod, you can have a good builder make it for you. I wouldn't look for saving money though.
here is he link to the video.
http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101/Beginner-Video-Tutorial

Alphahawk
12-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Here is a series of videos on rod building. I have only watched the first one and they find the spine on the rod blank. I doubt that all rod makers go to the trouble of finding the spine before making the rod.
I have had 3 rods made about 15 years ago. I was tourney fishing and wanted the handle thicker and a little shorter than what I could buy. I had a sweet cranking rod and and while traveling in my truck camper a cast skillet slid out of the oven and broke 3 rods in the floor. Needless to say I was heart broken......I sobbed like a baby. I have never replaced them. I don't bass fish much anymore. In the last 4 years I have broke all my 1st string rods and now I am using my second and 3rd string rods. I mostly crappie fish and I would love to get into rod making......maybe someday I will. I have to many hobbies already.
If you know the features you want in a rod, you can have a good builder make it for you. I wouldn't look for saving money though.
here is he link to the video.
http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101/Beginner-Video-Tutorial

Thanks for the input. I have already seen the videos but I never really wanted to get into rod making...even just for myself. I am having one made by Walt....he is on the forum. I wanted a Gill rod that would allow me to have a good fight if it was only a 6 inch Gill. I have several very nice UL rods...but all of them have a fast tip. The rod I am having made is on a 6' 6" fly rod blank.....2-wt.....slow tip. He has made some really nice rods. I will post a review and some pics of it here when I get it and get to use it. Since I am having knee replacement on 7 Jan won't be able to test it out until mid March.

Regards

ALANRAYG2
12-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the input. I have already seen the videos but I never really wanted to get into rod making...even just for myself. I am having one made by Walt....he is on the forum. I wanted a Gill rod that would allow me to have a good fight if it was only a 6 inch Gill. I have several very nice UL rods...but all of them have a fast tip. The rod I am having made is on a 6' 6" fly rod blank.....2-wt.....slow tip. He has made some really nice rods. I will post a review and some pics of it here when I get it and get to use it. Since I am having knee replacement on 7 Jan won't be able to test it out until mid March.

Regards
Looking forward to your report. Good luck with your knee surgery. I might need something on my left knee in the near future. It pops out when I am not expecting it to. Something I don't need while in a boat walking around.

Alphahawk
12-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks. One never knows when the knee will give out if you are already having trouble with it. Mine went while fishing for trout below Normandy. I was lucky I made it back to the car to get home. But.....God willing......I will be back fishing with a vengeance...LOL.

Regards