PDA

View Full Version : Late Season MN Duck Hunt Photo Essay - PIC HEAVY

MNfisher
12-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Over Thanksgiving I went back to the frigid climate of MN and was able to get out to the local big water in search of some late season Diver hunting. It was the last 2 days of the season and when we woke up Saturday morning, the temp was 16 degrees with a 25-35 mph NW wind. There were 4 of us that day and we saw only 4 flocks of ducks, in which 2 decoyed and we ended up with 2 goldeneyes and 2 gadwalls. The wind blew HARD all day and into the night and it calmed towards morning. Sunday greeted us with no wind and 7 degree weather. We broke ice about 300 yards to hit open water and made it to the point. There were ducks EVERYWHERE! But all in large flocks that landed in the bay where it was city limits. I swear they know that, even the new migrators. We ended up shooting 2 mallards, 2 goldeneyes and a hooded merganser for 5 guns. Not the greatest of hunts as far as harvesting, but It was a spectacular sight seeing those divers rocketing into that bay!

The 2 hunts were much needed hunts with some of my best friends ever and with my father! Lots of laughs were had and we all froze our butts off! I hope you enjoy the photos!

MNfisher
12-03-2012, 09:34 PM
more!

Travis C.
12-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Those are some great photo's of what looked to be a fun trip.

Thanks for sharing.

Pookie
12-04-2012, 11:48 PM
Nice pics.

What do you do with those Hooded Mergansers and Goldeneyes? The dogs won't even eat those things.

MNfisher
12-05-2012, 12:11 AM
Thanks guys! Ha, well, I don't like to waste things, but like to shoot them....so I marinate the crap out of them and then crockpot them in the marinade and then eat...could be worse!

MNfisher
12-05-2012, 12:13 AM
I am actually thinking of getting a website up where I can blog hunting and fishing trips. Basically they would have more pictures than words. I love it when pictures can pretty much tell a whole story! I am pretty excited about it!

Transplanted Sportsman
12-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Man those are really cool pics!!!, are those bluebills flying around ??
looks like it was a great hunt, I have never hunted for divers sure looks like fun, every now and then we get some bluebills and some buffleheads around southern middle TN and they are hard to hit them little speed demons!! but sure is fun when they buzz the spread and nobody is expecting it!!

GO-OKFISHIN
12-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Awesome pictures, Mike. What kind of camera are you using?

MNfisher
12-09-2012, 05:59 AM
The flock on the water are bluebills, the large flock are all goldeneyes!

I was using a Nikon D90 with the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRii lens.

Fish Whisperer
12-09-2012, 12:12 PM
You should check out Reelfoot lake... You+ducks+awesome scenery would make for some awesome pics.. This is a pic I took with my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNfisher
12-09-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't see a pic?

But I think I just booked a weekend at Reelfoot in January with a few buddies. Hope the ducks show by then!

Fish Whisperer
12-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Maybe this one shows up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nomad60
12-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Beautiful pics but OMG, I had to go put on a jacket after looking at those :D Question; with a lens like that, how do you stay in such sharp focus without any motion blur at all? I've found that any time I use a telephoto lens, I better be using a tripod or my pics don't come out sharp/focused at all.

MNfisher
12-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Beautiful pics but OMG, I had to go put on a jacket after looking at those :D Question; with a lens like that, how do you stay in such sharp focus without any motion blur at all? I've found that any time I use a telephoto lens, I better be using a tripod or my pics don't come out sharp/focused at all.

Thanks! Yes it was very cold! Good thing I was born and raised in the arctic tundra of Minnesota! HAHA!

As far as the pics, could be a few things. You might not have a fast enough shutter speed going. Which means you would have to make your ISO larger to get a faster shutter to still get the right exposed pics. And, the lens might have something to do with it. That thing is magic....and it very well should be for the cost of it!

We need to get out fishing/photographing together some day soon. I will give you some hands on tips and let you shoot my gear so you know what I mean. I cannot take credit for all my good shots, that lens is AMAZING!

nomad60
12-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Holy moly, I just looked at Canon's equivalent of that lens (http://tinyurl.com/bqoypv7) and yes sir, you are right, they are expensive!!! I'd like to get some better lenses than I currently have but right now, I'm trying to figure out how I can convince my wife to let me buy a fish finder unit for the console of my boat and yep, you guessed it, I'm looking at one of the new Lowrance touch screen units, probably the 9 inch and with the LSS-2 transducer, we're talking at least $2700. I was going to get the 7 inch but everyone is telling me I'll regret paying the money for such a small screen near the console. LOL, I'll probably end up getting one of the older models because that's a lot of cash to fork over.
A fishing/photography trip sounds great, we'll have to set something up!

Transplanted Sportsman
12-10-2012, 01:18 PM
I don't see a pic?

But I think I just booked a weekend at Reelfoot in January with a few buddies. Hope the ducks show by then!

You should be in the ducks thick in January in and around Reelfoot if there is the right amount of water and the weather is right as well of course:confused:!!