PDA

View Full Version : Caney float?

Ramsay
11-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Do you think there will be enough water this week-end to float/fish in a yak with some success? Which stretch would be best? Thanks

MNfisher
11-30-2012, 07:20 AM
There is always enough water for a caney kayak float with min flow. Just be sure to watch the generation schedule to make sure there isn't to much water!

Alphahawk
11-30-2012, 07:54 AM
there is always enough water for a caney kayak float with min flow. Just be sure to watch the generation schedule to make sure there isn't to much water!

x2

Travis C.
11-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Do you think there will be enough water this week-end to float/fish in a yak with some success? Which stretch would be best? Thanks

Be prepared for clear clear clear water. The water through the turbines is gin clear and the sluice has been off for about a month. Maybe you'll get a little wind to help put a ripple on the surface because low water and clear gives them a loooooong good look at you/your offering.

Usually people float the top (Dam-Happy) for high numbers especially stockers. I believe your best shot at quality fish is higher from Lancaster-Betty's and all other places being a mixed bag.

Travis C.
11-30-2012, 09:06 AM
How are you gonna be fishing Ramsay?

Spin- I'd say small inline spinners, 2.5"-3" jerkbaits and trout magnets would keep you in fish as long as you wanted.

Fly- I'd say if nothing is happening on top or signs of life swing/stripping a wooly bugger size 8-10 in black or olive. If there is life of fish popping surface Swing a soft hackle to them and you can always catch fish all winter on small midges, long 5x-7x leaders with absolute dead drift.

If spawning is over then the females usually lay back a little bit to recover but the males will go right into packing the lbs back on mode. The females will do the same after a while. Should be good fishing on through winter after the brown's are done if you can get windows to fish.