PDA

View Full Version : Spammers

browntrout
11-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Looks like the spammers are out in full force. Dont know about yall but I dont wear UGG boots and I dont need any authentic football jerseys, I think they are really wasting their time. Who clicks on those links anyway?

Roy

ninjaparade
11-19-2012, 03:15 PM
I used to do web design and SEO before I moved into software development. A lot of times, they're spamming with the hope that it'll slip through just so that they have a backlink out there lingering. They're trying to game search engines - in a nutshell, the more backlinks you have regarding a search topic, such as fishing in our case, the more likely your page content is to score higher in relevance and search results for that topic. Other times they're just hoping for a blind click or two, hoping that they can spam you with some ads on a site and get paid for the views.

TK's doing a great job of hunting them down and eliminating the accounts. It's a tedious job for sure. Unfortunately, automation means they can create them much easier than they can be deleted, so the burden falls on the board admins. In the past I've used captcha on registration and some of the global IP banlists out there to help cut down on the numbers coming in, but they don't catch everything.

tkwalker
11-19-2012, 08:18 PM
I used to do web design and SEO before I moved into software development. A lot of times, they're spamming with the hope that it'll slip through just so that they have a backlink out there lingering. They're trying to game search engines - in a nutshell, the more backlinks you have regarding a search topic, such as fishing in our case, the more likely your page content is to score higher in relevance and search results for that topic. Other times they're just hoping for a blind click or two, hoping that they can spam you with some ads on a site and get paid for the views.

TK's doing a great job of hunting them down and eliminating the accounts. It's a tedious job for sure. Unfortunately, automation means they can create them much easier than they can be deleted, so the burden falls on the board admins. In the past I've used captcha on registration and some of the global IP banlists out there to help cut down on the numbers coming in, but they don't catch everything.

Ninjaparade ... Thanks for the info and compliment I am going to pass this alone to Danny Robinson our Web man ... Who built this site for me in 1998.

Yes I check this every chance I get ... 6 or more times a day ... I even scan all of the member list in case someone has slipped in earlier ... But what happens they will join and then another spammer will join right after him ... Masking him from me as a new member ... (Like I say the only way I can catch sleepers is going through the member list ... everyday ... and very time consuming .... But it is worth it ... We will look into software to help us ...

EVERYONE BARE WITH ME >>>

Also no need to PM me or send message to the administrator it is checked every day many times ... And when I am out of pocket bd is notified and he takes over for me ... And sometimes he catches some before I do on a daily basis ... Thanks ... <'TK><:eek:

ninjaparade
11-20-2012, 08:54 AM
No problem TK, if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know.