PDA

View Full Version : Zebco Cardinal 4

2atmsu
11-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Does anyone know what gear ratio these old reels are and are they suited for 2, 4, or 6 pound line are is larger line better? Thanks in advance.

Mike Anderson
11-21-2012, 11:17 PM
If you have one of the green and white ones don't put any line on it. I'd put it in a display because it's a classic and worthy of collection. The chassis is pot metal and many did not survive over the years. It's very easy to break if you drop it. Also the plastic spools are brittle from age and prone to breaking. Original parts are getting harder and harder to find. Nonetheless it's a legendary spinning reel. Just my opinion.

Headhunter
02-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Fish with it. I use mine all the time. Great reel and can take as much if not more abuse than any of the new reels. Only thing to do is to empty the spools when not in use for a while. Mine have thousands and thousands of hours of use on everything from bass to crappie to bluegill to hybrids to stripers to northern pike to trout and more. Best spinning reel ever made.

Headhunter
02-11-2013, 02:30 PM
4, 6, 8, and 10 lb test will all be fine. I have also used 20 lb power pro with no problem.

browntrout
02-11-2013, 02:37 PM
I used to know some guys here in Murfreesboro that fished with those reels only. They would fish live crawfish with them. They would scour the country looking to buy them. I think they enjoyed trying to find them as much as they did fishing with them. They were deadly on smallmouth on Centerhill lake with those reels and the crawfish. As Mike said they are getting harder and harder to find. Take care of it and enjoy it.

Roy