PDA

View Full Version : Nickajack 11-012-2012

Alphahawk
11-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Had to fish today after not fishing all week because of wind. Met my nephew at Murfreesboro this morning at 4:40 AM. Arrived at Nickajack at 5:50 AM…..way too early…LOL. Neither one of us can see to fish in the dark. We waited until the Sun peaked over the horizon and started fishing. An hour and a half later we had two limits of Crappie. One fish was 14 inch….3 were 13 inch and the rest were between 11 and 12 inches. Nice healthy fat fish. We also caught about 40 Yellow Bass that gave us a lot of fun. It was my nephews first time too ever use 2# test line and the Trout Magnet. Took him a while to get the hang of it. The water temp is still high 60's. I am thinking once it gets to 60 or high 50's the big fish will be in there thick. Had a great day with my nephew. Will hit it again next week.

Regards

MNfisher
11-02-2012, 04:48 PM
NICE!!! I got to get some of those slabs!!!

Alphahawk
11-02-2012, 04:54 PM
NICE!!! I got to get some of those slabs!!!

Let me know when you want to go. Best to go on cold rainy day......we will be only ones there.....but there is not really a bad day to go.

Regards

txnative
11-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Alpha
I have vacation days I must use by year's end, and a trip to nickajack is as good a reason as any. If you don't mind, I'd like to meet you there sometime to learn your crappie Kung fu.

Grasshopper
aka: Chris

Alphahawk
11-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Alpha
I have vacation days I must use by year's end, and a trip to nickajack is as good a reason as any. If you don't mind, I'd like to meet you there sometime to learn your crappie Kung fu.

Grasshopper
aka: Chris

We can work something out. It really helps to know where Crappie are at....I was very fortunate to find these spots.....with the urging of cleanair...a forum member...to go fish the tail race at Nickajack. I just got to looking around down there and tried these spots out and found Crappie.

Regards

nomad60
11-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Oh man, you are killing me, Alpha! That's a nice mess of crappie there.

I think you should start a crappie guide service ;) I haven't caught a keeper crappie since I got here last year and that's mainly because I don't know how to find them. I think my next solo trip out on the river, I'll take my ultralight and some trout magnets just to see if the crappie hang out anywhere in the main river.

txnative
11-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Are you fishing in clarksville ?

Chris

nomad60
11-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Are you fishing in clarksville ?

Chris

If that was directed at me then yes, I am :)

txnative
11-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Nomad,

It was. Try the riverbank at the fairgrounds, especially the area starting at the marina's cove upstream till you are even with the big playground (the one in the park, not the one near Wendy's). Look for shad lining the bank and fish the outside edge of the school. Drift small white or white/chartreuse hair jigs (about 1 1/2-2 inches long) under a float and twitch it occasionally. For best results, fish wherever you see fish busting on top, but stay on the outer edge. I've caught loads of crappie while trying to catch white bass from October-late December for the past few years. Good average size, too, typically 11-14 inches.

Chris

Alphahawk
11-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Oh man, you are killing me, Alpha! That's a nice mess of crappie there.

I think you should start a crappie guide service ;) I haven't caught a keeper crappie since I got here last year and that's mainly because I don't know how to find them. I think my next solo trip out on the river, I'll take my ultralight and some trout magnets just to see if the crappie hang out anywhere in the main river.

nomad...I dont know if you are aware of the Bumpus Mills area but it is great for Crappie.

Regards

nomad60
11-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Alpha,

I have fished Bumpus Mills a few times but it was always with my friend in his boat and he is a 100% bass-only fisherman. Now that I've learned this boat of mine a bit, I'll be heading out on my own more and I'll hopefully start finding the other species around these parts. That is, weather and wife permitting :D