PDA

View Full Version : St. Croix Panfish series

TNtransplant08
10-29-2012, 09:30 PM
I was just curious if anyone has tried the new St. Croix Panfish Series rods? I've always been a big fan of St. Croix and have been looking at their 7' light rod with a xtra fast tip. Or do you think I need to look at an ultralight for using a lure such as the trout magnet?

Alphahawk
10-29-2012, 10:56 PM
I was just curious if anyone has tried the new St. Croix Panfish Series rods? I've always been a big fan of St. Croix and have been looking at their 7' light rod with a xtra fast tip. Or do you think I need to look at an ultralight for using a lure such as the trout magnet?

I have not tried it......read a lot of reviews on it and have thought about maybe getting one. I have 3 Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner rods. One is an UL and the other 2 are L action......all with fast tips. They are great rods. I have sent one back twice for warranty....broke it twice at the tip......my fault not poor workmanship. Cost me the shipping to them and $9.95. Me being stupid...as a matter of fact last Monday fishing with my son I broke another tip off loading it in his truck. I don't know what Fenwick will say about a 3rd claim...LOL. I use the UL and L for different types of fishing. As there is no industry standard for actions it is hard to say but I don't think you will go wrong with L or UL with a fast or Xfast tip. St Croix makes great rods....great warranty. I really like rods with the split grips....thus why I have the Fenwicks...but you can get a St. Croix Panfish in a one piece. I am really thinking of getting the 7 foot model. I would think those rods can fling a Trout Magnet a country mile. I can't find anyplace though that sells them under that $120 suggested retail price.

Regards

bfish
10-30-2012, 08:19 AM
...One is an UL and the other 2 are L action......all with fast tips. .....LOL. I use the UL and L for different types of fishing. As there is no industry standard for actions it is hard to say but I don't think you will go wrong with L or UL with a fast or Xfast tip....

Pet peeve of mine, but action and power are two different terms. UL, light, medium etc all describe the power of the rod (ie how much weight it takes to load the rod). Action describes where the rod bends when loaded and uses terms like slow, fast, moderate, etc. I knew what you meant but it confuses many.

http://www.castawayrods.com/home/images/action.gif

I agree there is no industry standard, heck same brand varies on different models. Custom rod builders use what is called the Common Cents Method (http://www.common-cents.info/) to standardized comparisons. Occasionally a production rod blank will also be available to custom builders (and they will have known values). Best way is just to go to a store and bend/load as many rods as possible.

Alphahawk
10-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Pet peeve of mine, but action and power are two different terms. UL, light, medium etc all describe the power of the rod (ie how much weight it takes to load the rod). Action describes where the rod bends when loaded and uses terms like slow, fast, moderate, etc. I knew what you meant but it confuses many.

http://www.castawayrods.com/home/images/action.gif

I agree there is no industry standard, heck same brand varies on different models. Custom rod builders use what is called the Common Cents Method (http://www.common-cents.info/) to standardized comparisons. Occasionally a production rod blank will also be available to custom builders (and they will have known values). Best way is just to go to a store and bend/load as many rods as possible.

You are right bfish...a lot do get confused by the two. I broke off an inch and a half of one of my rods last week. I did not want to send it back as I had already had two claims on it and received new rods. Glued the tip on and tried it out but it changed the action so much it is not really suited for much of anything. So I guess I will try for my 3rd claim...it has a lifetime warranty but I have to admit I am pushing it...LOL. Sorry about the name...my eyes are failing me.

Regards

TNtransplant08
11-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I know its a new pole, so I knew chances of forum members who have used it was minimal. However, I guess my question is kind of moot right now. I was informed a few days ago that I will likely lose my job due to budget cuts (I work for the TN Division of Forestry). From what I understand, pretty much every department in the state work force has to reduce their budget by 5 percent. They have done this every year for the last few years, so the department is streched pretty thin as it is. Guess my program is on the line now. Keep your fingers crossed that they'll be able to figure something out! So spending bucks on expensive fishing gear is out the window!

j19bill
11-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I know its a new pole, so I knew chances of forum members who have used it was minimal. However, I guess my question is kind of moot right now. I was informed a few days ago that I will likely lose my job due to budget cuts (I work for the TN Division of Forestry). From what I understand, pretty much every department in the state work force has to reduce their budget by 5 percent. They have done this every year for the last few years, so the department is streched pretty thin as it is. Guess my program is on the line now. Keep your fingers crossed that they'll be able to figure something out! So spending bucks on expensive fishing gear is out the window!

Man sorry to hear that. Hoping it all works out for you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

MNfisher
11-01-2012, 04:08 PM
I am really sorry to hear that. I will send a few prayers upstairs for you and your family!

Fish Whisperer
11-01-2012, 04:45 PM
That's some bad news.. I hope you land a new job before the layoff happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alphahawk
11-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Sorry to hear that. Hoping all will turn out well.

Regards