PDA

View Full Version : Crappie Magnet

Jdkxtreme
10-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Could someone be so kind as to post a pic of the set up used for this? I keep reading and reading but and still simply lost. I am however very eager to learn

Adough
10-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Search for the trout magnet, the producers website has some great videos on set-up and use. I out fish my buddies 5-1 when I'm fishing the TM and CM on 2-4lb line. Love the product!

Travis C.
10-10-2012, 12:32 PM
There are several ways to fish it but most important being on "light" line. Less than 6lb test is what we'd consider light line for these products.

You can fish it: by itself on the jighead vertical, on jighead cast/retreive, under staitonary float, under slip float and there are some more refined techniques that you'll learn over time using it.

The website is a great way to start and see the setup/ways to fish it then go from there.

http://www.troutmagnet.com/video-new.php

Jdkxtreme
10-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Thank you all. I will look into the info

Jdkxtreme
10-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Can you buy the Crappie magnet local anywhere? I'm in portland

Travis C.
10-10-2012, 01:10 PM

They have them at Academy in Madison.

antilibrarian
10-10-2012, 02:18 PM

I usually get them at Bass Pro in Shoppry Mills.

tcintn
10-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Just go to the web page and order there. Best prices and over night service.You can also get any of the different jig heads.

tcintn
10-10-2012, 05:02 PM
http://http://www.troutmagnet.com

Transplanted Sportsman
10-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Just go to the web page and order there. Best prices and over night service.You can also get any of the different jig heads.

Thanks for the info, I just placed my order for some of the stuff that gets mentioned here, for both the Trout and Crappie magnets, I guess my daughter and i will take them for a swim this weekend!!!:)

bfish
10-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Could someone be so kind as to post a pic of the set up used for this? I keep reading and reading but and still simply lost. I am however very eager to learn

It is just a smaller sized shad dart, used for panfish. Medium sizes used for shad (hickory, American, and skipjack), while the larger sizes work well for bass. JMO but a ballhead jig fished similar manner works just as well most of the time.

http://do-itmolds.com/shop/image/data/shad_dart.gif

Alphahawk
10-10-2012, 06:06 PM
It is just a smaller sized shad dart, used for panfish. Medium sizes used for shad (hickory, American, and skipjack), while the larger sizes work well for bass. JMO but a ballhead jig fished similar manner works just as well most of the time.

http://do-itmolds.com/shop/image/data/shad_dart.gif

Shad Dart jig heads work as the name suggest. It darts around when you twitch it. It is subject to dart any direction much more so than a round head jig. They are notorious for getting hung up. The Crappie Magnet jig head that is sold by Trout Magnet......or I should say Leland's Lures....is no longer a Shad Dart head....although he still sells them. He went to the Double Cross jig head. It has two barbs on the collar to hold the Crappie Magnet on much better....and it has a size 3 Matzuo hook which is extremely sharp. You can use any jig head with the Crappie Magnet....but the Double Cross is an exceptional hook and has a good price point. I want the sharpest hook I can get....even for Crappie.

Regards

Jdkxtreme
10-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Would someone be so kind as to put a small list of things I need to order from trout magnet? There were way to many options.. Haha

Alphahawk
10-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Would someone be so kind as to put a small list of things I need to order from trout magnet? There were way to many options.. Haha

What do you need? They sell and excellent UL rod for 34.95$. The SOS 2# line is a must if you are going to cast a Trout Magnet.....or a good 2# test line. You will need some size B split shot.....and of course you will need some Trout Magnets.....Bison is my favorite color.....don't forget the Trout Magnet heads. Get those in black as the gold and silver are plated and seem a little dull. If you don't have a small spinning reel the Shimano Sedona 1000 is a good one to start with. I would also get some fluorocarbon leader....either 2# or 3# test.

Regards

Travis C.
10-10-2012, 08:44 PM
What do you need? They sell and excellent UL rod for 34.95$. The SOS 2# line is a must if you are going to cast a Trout Magnet.....or a good 2# test line. You will need some size B split shot.....and of course you will need some Trout Magnets.....Bison is my favorite color.....don't forget the Trout Magnet heads. Get those in black as the gold and silver are plated and seem a little dull. If you don't have a small spinning reel the Shimano Sedona 1000 is a good one to start with. I would also get some fluorocarbon leader....either 2# or 3# test.

Regards

x2....

plus some extra floats if you will be float fishing. I lost way more than anticipated in the first go around.

Still think my kids ran off with some...

Jdkxtreme
10-10-2012, 09:08 PM
All ordered. I have a small spinning real and an UL rod already. Thank you all

How long should the leader be?

Alphahawk
10-10-2012, 09:38 PM
All ordered. I have a small spinning real and an UL rod already. Thank you all

How long should the leader be?

About 12 to 18 inches.

Regards

Jdkxtreme
10-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Ordered last night and shipped this morning

Alphahawk
10-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Ordered last night and shipped this morning

He is really good about getting orders out quickly.

Regards

Jdkxtreme
10-13-2012, 03:17 PM
All my stuff showed up today. Now to find a place to catch some crappie with my little boat

bd-
10-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Many years before the Trout Magnets came along, I really got into fishing for crappie and panfish with finesse tackle and microjigs. I would use a long, ultra light spinning rod, line no heavier than 4 lb test, and 1/32 or 1/64 oz jigs with curly tail grubs in the smallest sizes I could find. I'd fish with a float or casting bubble for depth control and extra casting weight for the super-light jigs.

The secret was to figure out the depth where the fish were holding, let the jig flutter down to that depth, and then twitch it back as slowly as possible. A lot of times the fish (bluegill especially) would hit the jig on the very first fall. It was effective on white bass, yellow bass, crappie, and occasional largemouth too.

I think most of the forage that panfish eat is smaller than a lot of fishermen realize. And they eat a lot of insect larvae and tiny baby baitfish, which are not fast swimmers. I think you miss some fish if your lure is too big or too fast.

Nowadays, I mostly fly fish, but when I fish for panfish, I frequently use the same techniques with flies that may be even lighter than the jigs I used to use. It is very effective.

The Trout Magnet method is very effective, but I don't think there is anything magic about the lure itself at all. In my opinion, the secret is fishing the right depth with light line; a very small, light jig; and a slow retrieve.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

navydocivan
10-13-2012, 06:49 PM
i rumaged through my garage and found some "realline" co-polymer that is 4lb test line.. its not 2lb but being a copolymer does that mean that its about the same diameter at the 2lb test. I also bought some "Suffix" fluorocarbon" that is 6lb test .. but the diameter is only 0.01 .... which i believe may also be same diameter as 2lbs test .. so i got 300yds of the copolymer and 200yds of the fluoro. how would you set up the crappie reel.. would you go copoly with a fluoro. leader or go all fluoro and hope i got some left for leader material on another reel or just set 2 up with 1 on each..i also got little kids (2) and they just got some little zebcos.. i dont think they hold more than 50yds which is stronger for little kids that get hung all the time? or maybe I need to find some cheap 2# for them.

OR is there some other option you would suggest. eventhough this si 4 and 6lb it seems the diameter is small enough and that would seem to me be the important part

Alphahawk
10-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Many years before the Trout Magnets came along, I really got into fishing for crappie and panfish with finesse tackle and microjigs. I would use a long, ultra light spinning rod, line no heavier than 4 lb test, and 1/32 or 1/64 oz jigs with curly tail grubs in the smallest sizes I could find. I'd fish with a float or casting bubble for depth control and extra casting weight for the super-light jigs.

The secret was to figure out the depth where the fish were holding, let the jig flutter down to that depth, and then twitch it back as slowly as possible. A lot of times the fish (bluegill especially) would hit the jig on the very first fall. It was effective on white bass, yellow bass, crappie, and occasional largemouth too.

I think most of the forage that panfish eat is smaller than a lot of fishermen realize. And they eat a lot of insect larvae and tiny baby baitfish, which are not fast swimmers. I think you miss some fish if your lure is too big or too fast.

Nowadays, I mostly fly fish, but when I fish for panfish, I frequently use the same techniques with flies that may be even lighter than the jigs I used to use. It is very effective.

The Trout Magnet method is very effective, but I don't think there is anything magic about the lure itself at all. In my opinion, the secret is fishing the right depth with light line; a very small, light jig; and a slow retrieve.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

You are right bd about the light gear. I just got in some Wooly Bugs made by a fly shop on a #10 hook with a 5mm tungsten bead in a deep purple...looks good. This "fly jig"...as they call it....was patterned after the Wooly Bugger......which I am sure you are familiar with but I am not. I am going to try it out in the morning. If this works out....and I think it will...will be getting more of them.

Regards

bfish
10-18-2012, 10:09 PM
i rumaged through my garage and found some "realline" co-polymer that is 4lb test line.. its not 2lb but being a copolymer does that mean that its about the same diameter at the 2lb test.... Not really any difference in line size between mono, copoly, or flouro. Flouro is a pain on small spinning rods, imo it good only for leader material if you decide to go that route.

MPD816
10-21-2012, 06:15 PM
OK, I am totally hooked now. (Not literally) But I took my sister out today on Priest to find some crappie. She was using minnows and I tried the crappie and trout magnets out on some light gear. Man, I had a blast! These things work great. Coming from a bassin' background I think I made quite a few fish cross eyed I set the hook way too hard. I couldn't believe how many strikes I would get on a cast. They were short striking it though, pulled half my tails off the magnets. If no one has tried these I would highly suggest them. Thanks again to all the people who turned me on to these great baits.

Fishbus
10-22-2012, 10:43 AM
That's awesome man. I ordered some of the Magnets myself based on all the good feedback on here. I think I might be able to get out there next weekend with you if you wind up going again.

Bill

agelesssone
10-22-2012, 11:13 AM
MPD816,

If you were getting the tails pulled a lot, most likely you were getting bit by bluegills.

Crappie or any other predator fish, will usually inhale a smaller bait like that.

Bluegills have smaller mouths so any hook larger than a #10, they probably won't get hooked.

A bluegill bite will feel more like a tap-tap-tap than a bump or single tug.

MPD816
10-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Agelessone,

Thanks for the info. That's why I hope you heal up real soon so I can pick your brain a little more. I thought I was setting the hook too hard. First time using ultralight gear. I did catch about 10 crappie on them but I swear all the crappie in priest are 9 7/8". Stopped at the bait shop to talk to the old timers ( NO offense intended to my elders, but with age comes wisdom) and I don't know crap about how to catch crappie, but they told me hardly anybody is catching any numbers or good size ones. If they are, they have lock jaw.

Bill,

I have to work the Mtsu football game Sat, but I'm going to try and get out Sun. I won't have to work another Sat, until last of November (football anyways) All these people who like to run everywhere has ruined all my fishing trips on Sat. for the last month and a half. Half marathon, 5k runs, charity walks,etc. Don't these people realize that I have to get my fishing fix! I should be available for some fishing trips between now and then. Just let me know.

agelesssone
10-23-2012, 08:02 AM
MPD,

I am getting out fishing every great once in a while now, but only when my neighbor can go as I'm not allowed to drive. So I can't get my boat to the lake unless someone drives my truck and boat there for me.

Going to pick up an 18 ft Fisher Hawk today with the wife so we may try fishing for a little while just to check out the boat. I'm thinkin a couple more weeks before the Dr. let's me start walking on the foot and then I'll be allowed to drive.....by the wife! She's like a drill sergeant making me stay off of the leg/foot til the Dr says GO.

MPD816
10-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Agelessone,

Like alot of guys on here, we would just like to see you healed up. I've been in Tenn. for about 15 years and don't plan on going anywhere so we will have plenty of time to meet and fish. Just get better soon.