PDA

View Full Version : Help identify

Jdkxtreme
10-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Can anyone tell me the brand of this boat. I just bout it fairly cheap. Motor has not been started. Has good compression. Was told needed carb cleaned

tkwalker
10-02-2012, 12:07 AM
:)Can anyone tell me the brand of this boat. I just bout it fairly cheap. Motor has not been started. Has good compression. Was told needed carb cleaned

JD can't tell from the pic ... There are a number of Mfr's that make this basic hull ... The quality depends on the the Thickness of the the Alumn material and bonding ( I.E. welded, brads , rivits etc) Can't tell from the pic .. the mtr looks like a OMC ... Johnson/Evinrude ... No big deal on carb cleaning or repair ...

There should be a ID tag some where on the boat .. also look at the right rear tramsom ... there should be a stamped S/N in the alumn ... the last 2 digits is the year it was made ... <'TK>< :)

Jdkxtreme
10-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Not able to find any numbers on the boat. It looks like the seat plat forms are homemade. Someone did a good job at it. I wonder about the floor in it? Here are a couple more pics,

Jdkxtreme
10-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Another

Jdkxtreme
10-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Last one. Could not put them all together for some reason..

Travis C.
10-02-2012, 12:30 PM
I seen a boat over near Dupont just an hour or so ago that looks like this one even down to the twin handles in the front.

It was parked in a carport and I couldn't tell the brand on the back side pannel.

Travis C.
10-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Look up Alweld Flatbottom boats or older Crestliners.

There are bunch of bigger brands that made them and bunch of smaller as well. The twin bow handles on the front of the boat and how the top rail wraps all the way around will lead you to the maker.

Jdkxtreme
10-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Thank you all for the info. I have searched every where on the hull for any numbers and have had no luck...

ALANRAYG2
10-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Can anyone tell me the brand of this boat. I just bout it fairly cheap. Motor has not been started. Has good compression. Was told needed carb cleaned

The information should be on the registration paper that you have for the boat numbers. Unless it says homemade. If this boat was made before the manufactures data plate was required, it might not have one. I think they were required after the late 1960's sometime.???? I could be wrong and probably am.

Jdkxtreme
10-03-2012, 07:30 AM
I just bought the boat. All I got was a bill of sale. I have looked at hundreds of pics and looks like it may be a fisher. I can't find any numbers on the boat anywhere.

ALANRAYG2
10-03-2012, 10:07 PM
I just bought the boat. All I got was a bill of sale. I have looked at hundreds of pics and looks like it may be a fisher. I can't find any numbers on the boat anywhere.

There are Tennessee numbers on the bow. There is also a registration card for those numbers. That card is supposed to be in the boat while on the water. It is like a registration for you car. That card will have all the information you are wanting. You might want to see if the seller has it for you. I would also contact TWRA Boating division to see if a bill of sale is enough to get it registered in your name. My nephew moved here a couple years ago. He bought a boat in Florida before he moved. They title and register boats there. He didn't get the registration changed into his name while he lived there. He moved up here thinking he could present the title and get it registered here. No way said TWRA. They do not recognize titles, only registration. He has to get the registration information from Florida where he had the title changed proving he paid sales tax there along with the other info on the boat. Florida won't send or email him the information. Now he has a nice 16 foot skeeter in the garage and can't use it. Unless of course he goes to the DMV in Florida. It has been about 16 months now with not being able to use his boat. He can't even sell it.

Jdkxtreme
10-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Within the last 6 months I have registered a jet ski and my little jon boat. On the jet ski I had a bill of sale and the seller worded it wrong so I had to call him back to fix it. He moved and I could not find him. The clerks office had me fill out a paper with my story and sign it and I paid sales tax on average book value. Then sent off for the registration and all was good.

On the Jon boat I had a hand written bill of sale and pay sales tax on what the bill of sale said and all was good.

I do not have the registration card. I would not give my card if I sell a boat. I don't want someone to have that info with them. What if they take it to the lake and kill someone with the boat and then just leave and all they have is my registration card?

browntrout
10-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Within the last 6 months I have registered a jet ski and my little jon boat. On the jet ski I had a bill of sale and the seller worded it wrong so I had to call him back to fix it. He moved and I could not find him. The clerks office had me fill out a paper with my story and sign it and I paid sales tax on average book value. Then sent off for the registration and all was good.

On the Jon boat I had a hand written bill of sale and pay sales tax on what the bill of sale said and all was good.

I do not have the registration card. I would not give my card if I sell a boat. I don't want someone to have that info with them. What if they take it to the lake and kill someone with the boat and then just leave and all they have is my registration card?

That is why you ALWAYS do a signed bill of sale by both parties. Notarized is even better.

Roy

Jdkxtreme
10-04-2012, 03:03 PM
That is why you ALWAYS do a signed bill of sale by both parties. Notarized is even better.

Roy

The guy I got it from traded a utility trailer for it. So he only knew what he was told. I did get a signed bill if sale. But there is no hull number on it

browntrout
10-04-2012, 03:37 PM
I don't want someone to have that info with them. What if they take it to the lake and kill someone with the boat and then just leave and all they have is my registration card?[/QUOTE]

Sorry I should have clarified. I was talking about the last part of your statement. The signed bill of sale removes the liability from you.

Roy

ALANRAYG2
10-04-2012, 04:47 PM

I understand what you are saying. Here is a link to TWRA Boating . http://www.tn.gov/twra/boatregistrations.html

In this link it says your boat might not have numbers if it was made before 1973. As far as the numbers I was referring to is the TN boating numbers on the bow. You will get a card about the size of a business card. My card has my name and address , certificate #'s that are on the boat and all the boating information you were wanting to find out. If you are checked on the public waters and do not have the card with your name on it then the officer might check to see if the boat is stolen. I am not sure but I think you can receive a citation for not have the proper registration with you. If you have a bill of sale the seller is no longer responsible for the boat in case of an accident. After looking at my card.....I need ro renew. It expired on the 1st. thanks for having me look.

Jdkxtreme
10-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Latest update. I just taked with Matt Majors " Investigator " with the TWRA. He looked up the TN numbers on the boat and told me it was a 2001 Smoker Craft. He is going to send me the paper work to get the number replaced and have an officer apply the number back on the boat.

The problem is. I can not find a pic of a 2001 Smoker Craft that looks like mine.

bfish
10-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Smokercraft has many sub-brands. Some are specific to certain dealers such as Northwoods, but others like Starcraft, Starweld, Suncatcher, Slyvan, American Angler, etc are national in scope.

Jdkxtreme
10-17-2012, 02:41 PM
So I guess since there is nothing on the boat I have no true way of know exactly what it is? The main thing is I now have a Hull number and can get it registered