PDA

View Full Version : Place to camp and fish?

Jim
09-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Hi All,

I am thinking about taking my 3 year old son camping this Saturday and am looking for recommendations on a place to go. I am in Gallatin and would like to stay within an hour or so. I will be tent camping and hopefully taking the boat also so we can go fishing. The boat part is not required, but if not there would need to be something to do in the area.

I looked at Bledsoe Creek, but they are all full service RV sites and get filled pretty fast on Friday. Defeated Creek is similar.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good camping/fishing place?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

tylerreid1234
09-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Cages Bend Campground,

https://plus.google.com/116689163350784567263/about?gl=us&hl=en

Fish Whisperer
09-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Cages Bend is a good choice... Defeated Creek might be a little too far if your lil guy decides he doesn't like sleeping in a tent..

Jdkxtreme
09-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Hi All,

I am thinking about taking my 3 year old son camping this Saturday and am looking for recommendations on a place to go. I am in Gallatin and would like to stay within an hour or so. I will be tent camping and hopefully taking the boat also so we can go fishing. The boat part is not required, but if not there would need to be something to do in the area.

I looked at Bledsoe Creek, but they are all full service RV sites and get filled pretty fast on Friday. Defeated Creek is similar.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good camping/fishing place?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

I'm in the same boat as you. I to have a 3 year old son. I will be waiting to see how it turns out for you

TNtransplant08
09-20-2012, 05:31 AM
The campground in Pooles Knob in Smyrna seems nice. They have quite a few sites by the wa.ter.They have a private boat ramp for campers. So if you get a lakeside site you can beach your boat there. Other than that, I don't think they have a playground for kids to play on.

Travis C.
09-20-2012, 07:19 AM
We went to Dale Hollow Dam last fall for our first with the little ones last year. Avery was 1 and half while Emma was almost 4. The car ride over (2hrs from White House) was worse than the actual camping. They played non-stop throughout the campground supervised of course and never even got on the playground. Fished in Hatchery creek a few times with them and walked over to see the Hatchery as well.

This year in a couple weeks we're going to try Fall Creek Falls.

I had considered Cages Bend too but my wife wants to see the falls and hike some with the girls.

browntrout
09-20-2012, 07:49 AM
You also have Long Branch which is below Center Hill dam. You can fish the lake side by using Edgar Evins boat ramps. There are also some hiking trails and other fun things to do at the park. You could also just camp at Edgar Evins park if you wanted to. I personally like Long Branch a little better. I also believe there is a playground at Long Branch also.

Roy

Buccaneer
09-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Cedar Creek campground on Old Hickory - http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Cedar_Creek_Tn/r/campgroundDetails.do?page=details&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=71075&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

Defeated Creek at Cordell Hull is great.

Jim
09-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Does anyone know of primitive camping sites on any of the area lakes? I really am looking for a place we can beach the boat and set up a tent and have a small campfire. The campgrounds with RV sites are nice, but as I call around to them, it seems most sites are filled for Friday and Saturday and Saturday check in is not until 3:00pm.

I don't fish Percy Priest much, but have heard you can camp on the islands. Is this true and would it be safe enough?

We may limit this camping trip to all day Saturday and come home in the evening. I can see how he does sleeping in the tent for afternoon nap time. It will still be a big adventure for a little boy :)

Thanks again,
Jim

nomad60
09-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Wow, Fall Creek Falls looks like a really beautiful area.

jaycee
09-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I see people camping on the JPP Islands every time I fish. Spaces get taken sometimes on nice weather weekends and Holiday weekends. Call JPP Headquarters for info.

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/op/JPP/rec/prim_camp.htm

Tennesseejugger
09-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Does anyone know of primitive camping sites on any of the area lakes? I really am looking for a place we can beach the boat and set up a tent and have a small campfire. The campgrounds with RV sites are nice, but as I call around to them, it seems most sites are filled for Friday and Saturday and Saturday check in is not until 3:00pm.

I don't fish Percy Priest much, but have heard you can camp on the islands. Is this true and would it be safe enough?

We may limit this camping trip to all day Saturday and come home in the evening. I can see how he does sleeping in the tent for afternoon nap time. It will still be a big adventure for a little boy :)
Thanks again,
Jim
Put in at Misty Cove in Lebanon, Tn. Head to the river and turn left, go past the first green bouy and turn right into the first cove you come to. As soon as you come into the cove look to your right. I camp there several times, very secluded, no house at all in the entire cove. Nice sandy/gravel bottom to beach your boat. You can get to Misty Cove off hwy 231North.

tkwalker
09-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Put in at Misty Cove in Lebanon, Tn. Head to the river and turn left, go past the first green bouy and turn right into the first cove you come to. As soon as you come into the cove look to your right. I camp there several times, very secluded, no house at all in the entire cove. Nice sandy/gravel bottom to beach your boat. You can get to Misty Cove off hwy 231North.

Don, I think that is Rocky Creek .... <'TK><:)

Travis C.
09-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Here are a few pics from one of our fishing/camp trips to Bear Island on Percy.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/Untitled_zpsaaff7568.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/IMG_0114.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/MrCarney1979/Untitled_zpsac9093e5.jpg

We put in a Cooks then went straight across to the island and the back of the tent is pointing towards Suggs Creek. The boat pic is pointing towards Hobson Pike.

nomad60
09-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Travis, (or anyone)

Do you know if Fall Creek Falls gets really crowded? I'd love to take my wife out there for a hike/picnic but I hate crowds. With a passion.

Travis C.
09-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Travis, (or anyone)

Do you know if Fall Creek Falls gets really crowded? I'd love to take my wife out there for a hike/picnic but I hate crowds. With a passion.

I have heard it can get pretty crowded but don't know first hand.

They have 200+ campsites if that tells you anything but 16 or so of them are primitive hike in sites which I'd think would be more peaceful.

Jim
09-20-2012, 04:31 PM

Thanks Tennesseejugger,

This looks exactly like what I was looking for. I see by the maps it is on public ground, but it is also obviously farm land. I take it the farmer does not mind? Or is there someone I should call in advance?

Also I have never fished out of the Misty Cove area so that should be fun. I always like new spots.

Jim

Jim
09-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Here are a few pics from one of our fishing/camp trips to Bear Island on Percy.

We put in a Cooks then went straight across to the island and the back of the tent is pointing towards Suggs Creek. The boat pic is pointing towards Hobson Pike.

Thanks Travis,

This also looks like a great option. Nice and secluded to get away from the crowds.

PS - We should get the little ones together again soon. I waded the creek with my boy last week and it is still warm enough for him and the fishing was good.

Travis C.
09-20-2012, 07:00 PM
PS - We should get the little ones together again soon. I waded the creek with my boy last week and it is still warm enough for him and the fishing was good.

My big little one has school on Tues/Thurs. I have been thinking about hitting the creek again too but concerned the water was already cool.

That sounds good with me. Other than those two days we're game.

Tennesseejugger
09-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks Tennesseejugger,

This looks exactly like what I was looking for. I see by the maps it is on public ground, but it is also obviously farm land. I take it the farmer does not mind? Or is there someone I should call in advance?

Also I have never fished out of the Misty Cove area so that should be fun. I always like new spots.

Jim The camp site is not on Farmers land it is on Army corps land.

Tennesseejugger
09-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Don, I think that is Rocky Creek .... <'TK><:) No TK Rocky Creek is closer to 231 bridge, this place is further down river from Rocky Creek.

tkwalker
09-20-2012, 08:23 PM
No TK Rocky Creek is closer to 231 bridge, this place is further down river from Rocky Creek.

Yep you are correct ... By the Corps of Eng Nav Map the cove you mentioned is Saunders Branch ... The first creek on the right downstream from Misty Cove ... Note Rocky has some neat places to camp though ... Head into the creek ...first right and neat camping spots on the left ...

<'TK>< :)

bluemarlin
09-21-2012, 10:14 AM
The cove you are referring to has always been known by area duck hunters just as "The big cove". Great place to camp, and great area to fish. Saw a 9 pound bass come off the line of stumps toward the back of the cove. Go to the next 2 coves down stream as well, great fishing. If you want to try for some rock-fish, go to the mouth of Barton's Creek, fish around the red buoy where the water is 25 to 30 feet deep. Fish live shad or blue gill about 17 feet down, your radar can see where the rocks are hanging.

Jim
09-21-2012, 11:14 AM
The cove you are referring to has always been known by area duck hunters just as "The big cove". Great place to camp, and great area to fish. Saw a 9 pound bass come off the line of stumps toward the back of the cove. Go to the next 2 coves down stream as well, great fishing. If you want to try for some rock-fish, go to the mouth of Barton's Creek, fish around the red buoy where the water is 25 to 30 feet deep. Fish live shad or blue gill about 17 feet down, your radar can see where the rocks are hanging.

Thanks so much for the fishing info!

I love to striper fish in this general area, but striper fishing and a 3 year old boy don't go together very well :)

Mostly we anchor up and fish shad for catfish in the coves. I cast out the lines and then we eat and play with his toys while waiting for a bite. Sometimes we fish for sunfish and if I am lucky I can cast for bass for half an hour at a time.

The plan for this trip is to catch enough fish in the morning for a shore lunch, then head in a camp, cook, and play. After that a nap, and hopefully some bass fishing in the afternoon or evening.

But as most of you know, the greatest plans can shift quickly when dealing with young kids. Overall, we are just heading out to have a "Big Adventure Day!" Plus, my wife get a day off from both of us :)

Thanks again everyone for all the info.

Jim

bluemarlin
09-21-2012, 11:27 AM
By the way, that entire area is invested with feral hogs. The place you plan to camp is right beside a pot hole that is usually planted with crops and then flooded before duck season. I understand that the hogs usually destroy those crops.

Fish Whisperer
09-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Is it legal to hunt those hogs?

bluemarlin
09-21-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't know if it is legal or not. I believe the TWRA has a trap setup near where this camping site is located. I know that when the farm was sold, it use to be owned by Frank Davis, a couple of guys offered to kill the hogs in exchange for the rights to deer hunt, gorilla deer on this farm, but in a couple of years only a hand full of hogs were killed. As I understand, like ducks, the hogs have gone nocturnal and sleep during the day.

Fish Whisperer
09-21-2012, 04:02 PM
I need to check that place out..

Transplanted Sportsman
09-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Fish Whisperer: it is ilegal to kill any feral hog in TN, unless you are listed as one of the few people a landowner with a feral hog problem will allow to help erradicate them, they must be registred with the TWRA beforehand, we had a major change in the regs lat year, check out the rules in the TWRA website this will help you stay out of trouble.
hey Jim: have fun with your kid camping, seems like all these folks have a wealth of info in a few things other than fishing!!

Jdkxtreme
09-21-2012, 09:06 PM

How far of a boat ride is this? Is it something that could be done with a trolling motor?

Tennesseejugger
09-22-2012, 03:16 PM
How far of a boat ride is this? Is it something that could be done with a trolling motor? Yeah sure not far at all. If there is current that will take you there and just use ure trollinf motor to get you back.

Jim
09-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Just a little update to our camping/fishing trip. My son and I ended up camping at the site recommended by tennesseejugger and thanks for the information as the site was really perfect.

We set up camp and fished a little in the morning, but spent most of the time playing around the campsite. Here is the site with my little one doing what he always does while we are fishing, that is eating :)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UfwQxnmroW8/UGXQxlpZuaI/AAAAAAAAApI/HY_mAKA8bdU/s640/photo%2520%25281%2529.JPG

Camping was fun, but eventful. After nap my son told me he bumped his head on the ground while playing around in the tent. He began to feel worse and worse, but didn't want to go home. I packed everything up and headed home in the afternoon after about 8 hours of camping. He was complaining a lot. On the way home, he started throwing up. So I went to the ER thinking he might have a concussion. My wife met us there. He got checked in and was feeling worse and worse. Turns out he was getting sick with Strep and the bumped head was nothing but a head ache. He is doing fine now, but it was quite scary at the time.

Not my plan for the camping trip. He was so sad to end camping and as we were leaving told me "but daddy, we didn't get to cook our dinner on the campfire or have marshmallows" So heartbreaking. But at least he is doing better.

As for fishing, we did very little and caught a few sunfish and white bass. There were tons of shad in the cove so I am sure there were bass and cats somewhere in there also.

Hopefully the next camping trip is a little less stressful,

Thanks again for all the camping recommendations,
Jim

Travis C.
09-28-2012, 02:11 PM
That stinks for you two but hope little man gets to feeling better soon.

Tennesseejugger
09-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Glad that you enjoyed the camp site, next time it will be better. Glad to here the little feller is doing ok.