PDA

View Full Version : Info on fishing with tungsten jigs.

Alphahawk
09-18-2012, 08:55 AM
I just pulled the trigger on 35 bucks worth of tungsten jig heads....and you don't get many for that price...LOL. I read an article from InFiserman magazine about catching big Gills with them in the winter so thought I would give it a try. No need to go into the detail about the article but the theory is it lets me fish the same size as a 1/64 head but it weighs 1/32. This will allow me to cast much further....sink much faster to the bottom....and supposedly have more feel of the jig head. The first two I agree with but having never fished with tungsten I don't know about the feel part. So my presentation will be the same size as a 1/64 head but will sink faster....it takes forever for a 1/64 to fall 30 feet. So about in December I am going to try them out and will report back. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has ever fished tungsten and if so what are the differences...if any.

Regards

Travis C.
09-18-2012, 09:14 AM
I fish tungsten on all my small beadhead flies. You can fish two #18 zebra midges and get by without adding split shot for most situations on the Caney. It will sink better than lead. On the flies without dealing with low water they seem to be carried further sinking. The tung heads will get down in a shorter distance. I know I am talking really small in shallower water than you are but I believe the principal would transfer over. That is why the sinking fly lines on the market are coated in tungsten powder to give its sinking quality...does take much.

Here is the size #18-#20 of those midges.

http://www.goldenstateflycasters.org/GSF-CMS/uploads/images/Fly%20Photos/ZebraMidge.jpg

MNfisher
09-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Wow, those are some tiny hooks!

Travis C.
09-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Wow, those are some tiny hooks!

No kidding, those aren't even the smallest you can buy. A size #32 is:

http://moldychum.typepad.com/moldy_chum/images/32rcwdime1.jpg

Still amazes me the size fish you can catch with them but put in your thumb past the barb and you figure out real quick how you can bring a fish in on them..You 'll go where ever that line is pullin. :D

Reel Tune
09-18-2012, 10:34 AM
I use Tungsten on all my Bullet weights. I don't have to worry about the head getting smashed to where I can't get the line thru, much smaller profile than lead the same weight. Make a nice loud clank against a glass bead, and non toxic. Lead can get damaged easily at the head of the weight area and damage mono, and fluro easily. I've not used Tungsten with jig heads.

SAMBOLIE
09-19-2012, 03:48 PM
I like the way you can feel every thing the weight comes in contact with.

Alphahawk
09-19-2012, 07:23 PM
I like the way you can feel every thing the weight comes in contact with.

I am hoping it can give me some better feel for the jig head at depth.

Regards