PDA

View Full Version : minn kota problems again

tsuggs
08-19-2012, 09:34 AM
About a year ago my tm(trollin motor) would stop steering in one direction,so I got online and learned how to test control board,foot pedal, auto pilot board ,etc.Ordered new main control board and foot pedal from Northland marine in Wis.Everything ran great until last week noticed it shorting out on the steering right again and now it only runs at full speed. I try to work on most things myself but if this keeps up I'll be better off buying a new or used one . Does anyone have ideas on why this problem keeps occuring?

bd-
08-19-2012, 10:39 AM
I had a recurring problem with a Minn Kota foot control as well - they apparently are prone to problems if they get wet. In my opinion, this is the stupidest thing in the world - why would they design something that goes on a boat but can't get wet???

I got rid of the foot control and went to the "Copilot" remote control for mine, and I haven't had any more problems.

bd

Travis C.
08-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Two words can fix it:

Motor Guide.

I have no faith in MinnKota products at all.

tkwalker
08-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Two words can fix it:

Motor Guide.

I have no faith in MinnKota products at all.

Hear !! Hear !! . There are 10 to 1 old trolling motors that come into my shop that are MinnKota's ...... I used Motor Guides when I was guiding ... Very few problems ... <'TK>< :)

tsuggs
08-20-2012, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the info gents.This will be my last fix on this mk.Any inlines on a good place to buy used motor guides or best to just save up and buy new?

bd-
08-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Minn Kota used to be the top of the line, but they have some real quality problems now.

The only reason I own a Minn Kota instead of a MotorGuide is because the base of the Minn Kota Power Drive model fits the nose cap of my Gheenoe better. It would be hard to mount a Motor Guide on it.

bd

Buccaneer
08-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Contact John Jones at Jones Trolling Motor - http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com/
John is a great guy and may take your MK in trade. He has a used Motorguide 71lb unit listed on his web site. He can probably diagnose your MK problem and fix it once and for all.

agelesssone
10-16-2012, 05:53 PM
I have the MinnKota Terrova 101 lb thrust 36V I-Pilot with remote. I'll never have any thing else.

I've used it very extensively for the last 16 months, towing around a heavy fiberglass bass boat. Never had a problem.

Fisherman242
10-16-2012, 10:48 PM
I got a Terrova 80 w/ Ipilot two years ago and it has performed perfectly. If I had to go back to a foot pedal and no remote I think I'd sell my bass boat and go to a kayak and river fish only. The Terrova has been the single greatest fishing equipment improvement since I got my first gasoline motor.

Travis C.
10-17-2012, 08:17 AM
If I had to go back to a foot pedal and no remote I think I'd sell my bass boat and go to a kayak and river fish only.

I tend to agree with that.

My boat came with a foot controlled on it and that went into the garage floor quick. The remotes look pretty neat just haven't tried one. My Motorguide has been problem free for 14 years or so. It has the control center, Pro Control 360 handle with Big Foot Buttons in the deck which have been great in my opinion.