PDA

View Full Version : Cooler weather pattern?

TNtransplant08
08-17-2012, 06:58 AM
With all of the cooler weather we've been having this week after such a hot summer, what kind of pattern will the bass and/or crappie be in? Does this make them more or less active, move shallow, deep, etc.? I'm thinking about heading out this afternoon and give it a shot for both species (on JPP). If you had to choose, which would you pick for a day like today: Jefferson Springs, Stewart Creek, Mona ramp, or Hurricane Creek? I was gonna go this morning, but I decided to wait and see how the weather plays out. I just have a rowboat with a trolling motor on the back, so I didn't want to get caught out on the water in an all metal boat if lightening rolled in!

Fish Whisperer
08-17-2012, 10:53 AM
I'd probably pull some tuffies/shiners at whatever depth you're marking fish....

Doc Marshall
08-18-2012, 01:20 PM
I was on Priest yesterday. After hours with zero bites, I caught a glimpse of bass feeding on the surface. I caught about a dozen bass on the same rooter tail. The were all moderately sized, but it was fun. They were nailing it so hard I kept having to straighten itout.

I've been having some trouble finding the fish ever since the water level came up.

jaycee
08-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Where did you seethe surface action? I have looked for this and have not found it yet. Will be out at daylight tomorrow.

butts0907
08-20-2012, 09:12 AM
I went out on OH Friday afternoon and had some pretty good luck on topwater as well. I fished deep and deeper, but had no luck. About 30-45 minutes before dark, they were going crazy in, and immediately next to, any grass we could find. Luckily, the light bulb finally came on and I put on a frog and caught about 6 in a little less than an hour (the biggest maybe pushing 2lbs). They were in the grass all afternoon, but didn't try the topwater until the end. I don't think everything we saw breaking the surface were LM, but whatever they were, they were killing the shad. I almost had a shad jump in the boat he came out of the water so high.

MattR
08-21-2012, 07:49 AM
General question about the cooler weather pattern for the experts, do the mornings or evenings tend to fare better as the weather cools? The water on priest is still very warm but certainly dropping as the nights get cooler. Thoughts?