PDA

View Full Version : Fishing In japan

lupanfreitag
08-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Going to try to fish while on business in Japan. If I catch something I'll post the photos.... let us pray.

tkwalker
08-05-2012, 12:31 AM
;)Going to try to fish while on business in Japan. If I catch something I'll post the photos.... let us pray.

My last trip to Japan was 1998 ... The wife and I spent 5 weeks there on business... .... It will be doubtful the Japanese built fishing products you see here in the states ... It will be totally different from what the Japanese fish on a day by day basis ... they mostly do pier fishing ... The real effluent does the deep sea fishing ...

As you travel around Japan on the train system you will see the fisherman all decked out in their white Dawia Boots and their bait bucket heading for the coast ... A real unique place... I went fishing with a Japanese Eng. that I was working with and this is what we did ... By the way the Japanese are small in stature ... But don't think you can drink more Saka than they can .

I have been 5 times on Business ... Not counting the 2 times flying to and from Southeast Asia in the 60's ... If you have never spent any time in Asia ... Be prepared from the time you leave your door step from the time you enter your Hotel room ... 24 hours has passed ... Plus jet lag ...

Unless things have changed there is only one passenger International airport in Japan ... Nareata ... It closes the runway at 10:30 PM ... So all flights have to be scheduled to arrive before that time ... If not you will run out of fuel and ditch in the Sea of Japan !!! .... Just kidding ... They have another local airport for Island hopping but it is a real Customs Hassle ...

Let us know about your trip ... And if you get to go fishing ... Japan is not known for a Tourist Country ... But when you get in the train station and can't read the language, So you don't know what train you need to be on ... Congee (spelling??)It only has 26,000 symbols , and sometimes English ... ( I know you are a Translator so Japanese is probably your language) But if not Just do what I do ... Which is easy ... Just look Stupid ... You will have a dozen Japanese walking up to you to see if they can assist you ... They are very polite people ... And most speak English ... Manatory in their schools (it is the International language you know , Not Spanish)

All in kidding ... It will be different if you have never visited the Orient. I have been from one end of the Spectrum to the other in Asia . From the lowest in economic structure to the highest... Viet Nam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Indonisia,China, Japan, and the Philippines .. Japan, Indonesia and China being the Highest ..

But it is wall to wall humanity ... Good luck and keep us updated on your Fishing ;)

How long are you going to be there?, Have you set up a fishing trip? What is the date your going ... ... Keep us informed ... <'TK>< :)

bd-
08-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Caution: they do it a little differently over there.

http://www.unmissablejapan.com/etcetera/urban-fishing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gKapvPkC1c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

lupanfreitag
08-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Fortunatley I lived in Japan for three years. I fished mostly for black bass but also bluegill, herabuna (a carp like fish), raigyo (bowfin), rainbow trout, and ayu (sweet fish). Ayu is the most interesting because you actually do tomozuri (friend fishing) which in reality is weirder than you think. You actually buy ayu, ring them through the nose then tap stinger hooks in the bak and tail. Ayu are extremely territorial. When an unfamiliar ayu enters its space it attacks and hooks itself on the bait ayu. You crank in and put the bait Ayu in your creel then put the freshly caught ayu in the harness. And repeat. I only did this once and only caught one. The rods are telescoping and can cost thousands of dollars. I had a loaner.

I am going to fish near Yokohama for Suzuki (sea bass). I have a friend scouting locations.

By the way, when I go to Japan I visit two bait shops every time I go to Japan I purchase something...much to my wife's chagrin. They have some cool stuff you can't get in the US.

I'll let you know. I will need luck and some good weather.

bd-
08-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Sounds cool but the indoor fishing thing sounded like a different change of pace to try. :)

bd

tylerreid1234
08-07-2012, 03:47 PM
I actually just read up on a restaurant in japan called Zauo and the tables are basically set up like youre in a boat and you fish right beside youre table in these big pools and they will cook/prepare the fish that you catch any way you want! Pretty cool if you ask me! Ive never been to Japan but im sure it will be fun! Heres a link... http://www.unmissablejapan.com/etcetera/urban-fishing

lupanfreitag
08-07-2012, 05:44 PM
I've tried it before. Didn't catch much but experience is still fun. Where ever I go this time it will be urban.

I once hooked a 30 lbs carp in the tail with a Mepps Spinner on an ultra lite. I fought it for over 45 minutes. I had quite a crowd watching. An elderly man helped me land it. Many clapped. Probably my proudest moment..... a carp.

This site isn't public, is it?

Kiss my Bass
08-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Just got back from China myself...good luck!!!
Thought the attached sign was funny....;)

lupanfreitag
09-01-2012, 12:00 AM
It was a long trip but after five trips to the local tackle shop and 5 hours on Tokyo Bay (ended up hiring a guide with my wife's sister and a friend from work)- fish were caught.

I have attached two pictures. Both Inada. I will try to post the Suzuki (Sea Bass) later.

Inada we used 4 oz spoons in 50 feet of water. Drop to the bottom and crank faster than you ever have before. I am not kidding. If you can't crank 10,000 miles per hour, don't try. The hit and run is was a ton of bricks and one of the fastest running fish I have ever caught, but I am a river rat at heart. The three of us caught around 30. I caught 12. The biggest is in the picture about 6 lbs. My wife's sister took it home and ate it raw. Yummy.

We then moved over to the natural gas unload pier and caught three Sea Bass on slash baits in 6 foot seas. It was hairy.

One saba (mackarel) was also got speed cranking. You can never crank fast enough.

All the fish were caught from 4-6. We fished until 8pm but nothing after dark. Tons of jelly fish and Yokohama in the background along with Mt. Fuji.
In picture but rather small.

Good times. If I go back again this year, I am going again. The sea bass swarm the bay in October. You can catch 150 in one day.

Oh, baby! Next time I'll try it raw too.

tkwalker
09-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Lup, Thanks For the feedback and pic's ... Glad you had some good trips ... <'TK>< :)