PDA

View Full Version : Trolling

fatherof4
08-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Has anyone had any luck trolling crankbaits with a spoon or a roostertail type spinner attached?

Travis C.
08-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Dave (fishfindergeneral) trolls spoons alone on Dale I believe.

Haven't heard anyone trolling them behind lures.

tnridgerunner
08-02-2012, 05:20 PM
A spinner is probably just going to twist your line. One method is to take a large Bomber or similar bait, cut off the trailing treble, and tie on a jig with about 18 inches of line. It will catch almost anything.

agelesssone
08-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Fatherof4,

I do it all the time.

Tie on a three way swivel. On the bottom eye, tie on a three ft. piece of line and a snapswivel. Hook on a 200 or 300 Bandit crankbait (either mad cow or natural shad color).

On the other eye of the three way, tie on an 18 inch piece of line with a snap swivel and hook on a 1/8 oz roostertail, either yellow or orange.

Drop the crankbait in the water as you troll, letting it go back about 80-100 feet and then sit back and troll. I catch a lot of spotted bass on the roostertail. Crappies generally hit the crankbait deeper than the spots.

When it's hot like now and the water temps are in the mid to upper 80's, I stick with the 300's that will get down 14-16 ft and find that most of the fish I catch are keepers.

Just watch as you let out line that the roostertail doesn't drop down and get entangled in the crankbait line and mess up the action for both lures.

Happy hooking!

agelesssone
08-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Also, in the Great Lakes, it's common to have a lure on a down rigger (we'll act like the crankbait is the downrigger as it pulls itself down to 15 ft), then hook a line with a snap swivel connected on one end and a spoon on a snap swivel on the other end.

Drop the spoon in the water and it will travel down the line to the middle of the bow in the line, about halfway between the rod tip and the downrigger weight (crankbait). When a fish hits the spoon (or whatever you have used), it travels down the line to the crankbait and the fight is on.

VOILA! You are now fishing two baits on one rod. Doubles your chances by covering two layers of water.

fatherof4
08-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Agelesssone,

What size spoon? Also, how far down the line (what depth) will the spoon be?