PDA

View Full Version : Motorguide Trolling Motor Installation

butts0907
07-31-2012, 08:29 AM
I recently upgraded trolling motors on my boat, from an older motorguide to a new one. When I removed the old one, each mounting hole had some sort of rubber insert. This insert both held the trolling motor off the deck (serving as a washer), as well as had the hole that the bolt screwed into. The existing hole spacing is exactly the same for the new trolling motor but the rubber inserts will no longer hold a bolt. Since the existing holes are quite a bit larger than what is required for the new bolts (to accommodate the rubber insert), I will either need to drill new holes or possibly replace the rubber inserts with ones that will hold a bolt. Has anyone else had this same issue? If so, can I buy new inserts that will hold the new bolts? Also, the new and existing bolts are the same size although the new bolts are about a 1/4" longer.

I would prefer to not add 4 new holes to the deck of my boat, if possibly.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
-Paul

tkwalker
07-31-2012, 09:11 AM
I recently upgraded trolling motors on my boat, from an older motorguide to a new one. When I removed the old one, each mounting hole had some sort of rubber insert. This insert both held the trolling motor off the deck (serving as a washer), as well as had the hole that the bolt screwed into. The existing hole spacing is exactly the same for the new trolling motor but the rubber inserts will no longer hold a bolt. Since the existing holes are quite a bit larger than what is required for the new bolts (to accommodate the rubber insert), I will either need to drill new holes or possibly replace the rubber inserts with ones that will hold a bolt. Has anyone else had this same issue? If so, can I buy new inserts that will hold the new bolts? Also, the new and existing bolts are the same size although the new bolts are about a 1/4" longer.

I would prefer to not add 4 new holes to the deck of my boat, if possibly.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
-Paul

Paul what you saw is the mounting kit hardware for the Trolling motor ... It is made to install trolling motors in hard to get places where you can't get to the bottom side of the deck very easily ... Go to Bass Pro and purchase another installation kit ... They have an expandable nut on the underside of the deck that locks everything down, that's why the hole in your deck is larger than the bolt... ... But they usually can only be used once ... similiar to an expandable wall anchor ... Hope this helps .... <'TK>< :)

butts0907
07-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks TK...that explains a lot!