PDA

View Full Version : caney this weekend with TM

MattC
07-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Going to try the trout magnets out for the first time this weekend. Right now i have my rods rigged up with 4lb mono with 5X flouro leaders. How much line should be under the e-z float on the caney, and do i need any split shots for added weight? I bought the 85 pc kit with many colors, and i know it depends on what they want that day but which colors should i start out with?

Farley
07-03-2012, 04:09 PM
You probably won't need any split shots because the water is so low and current is not very strong. The key to fishing the TM is to keep it as close as possible to the bottom. If you cast into moving water the ez float should be bouncing down every few feet because you bait is hitting the bottom. If the float isn't doing this then you need to add more depth. When it goes down pull your rod tip up a bit just to make sure it is not a bite. Usually a fish will hold your float under longer than the bottom will and you will get the hang of it when it's bottom and when it is a fish. A long rod really helps when fishing a TM for a lot of reason but one being it is easier to adjust your bait when it hits the bottom. Main thing to remember is if your bait isn't hitting the bottom pretty often you need to fish it deeper.

Alphahawk
07-03-2012, 09:47 PM
You probably won't need any split shots because the water is so low and current is not very strong. The key to fishing the TM is to keep it as close as possible to the bottom. If you cast into moving water the ez float should be bouncing down every few feet because you bait is hitting the bottom. If the float isn't doing this then you need to add more depth. When it goes down pull your rod tip up a bit just to make sure it is not a bite. Usually a fish will hold your float under longer than the bottom will and you will get the hang of it when it's bottom and when it is a fish. A long rod really helps when fishing a TM for a lot of reason but one being it is easier to adjust your bait when it hits the bottom. Main thing to remember is if your bait isn't hitting the bottom pretty often you need to fish it deeper.

He covered it pretty well. You may find that 2# test may be more to your liking. I have tried a lot of lines with the Magnet and while 4# test will work...one just loses too much casting distance. If you find that the case just add on size B split shot. If trout are rising don't use a float and just cast down stream and twitch it back to you....just keeping it under the surface. I am in process of trying a new line...new to me and most I would think....and if it works out I will be using 5# test that is smaller than 2# test in diameter...and I am talking a mono not a super line. My attention was brought to this line from a forum member in Pennsylvania. How we came to hear of one another is a story in itself. Looking forward to your report back from your trip. My son and I are going to float from the dam to Betty's Island on Monday.

Regards

Fish Whisperer
07-03-2012, 10:04 PM
If youre using a traditional ultra light rod don't bother using a bobber on the Caney, just cast it and pop it every now and then...

Alphahawk
07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Try black...Bison..which is black and gold. White can be good at times.....Purple Haze can also be good.

Regards