PDA

View Full Version : Rod suggestions for a 40 series Quantum spinner

tcam93
06-05-2012, 06:14 AM
I've got a 40 series Quantum spinning reel that I caught on sale some time ago, and I'm having trouble pairing it with a good rod. I have it on a lower end Shimano now but the reel seems too much for the rod... It's a MH 6'6"

Any suggestions?

bd-
06-05-2012, 07:27 AM
How much does the reel weigh?

bd

butts0907
06-05-2012, 08:16 AM
I'm also wondering about how to size a spinning reel for a rod. Are there general "rules-of-thumb" to go by? I've had a spinning rod for about a year now and have been wanting to get a reel to go with it, but don't know what size would be best.

Thanks!
-Paul

tcam93
06-05-2012, 05:54 PM
How much does the reel weigh?

bd

12 oz.

Mr.Duk
06-06-2012, 05:35 PM
I would use a seven foot med/heavy that is rated for 10 lb test. That said, carry the reel into store and try it with different rods until you find the balance your looking for.
Mike

bd-
06-06-2012, 10:05 PM
12 oz.

That's a relatively heavy spinning reel. I don't think you're ever going to balance it with a 6'6" rod. You will be better off with a 7'6" rod, preferably with some good backbone. I'm not 100% sure which series the Quantum 40 series is, so double check the line capacity, but I assume at that weight you'll be spooling with 10 lb. or 12 lb. line.

I think my first choice would be an All Pro APX Atlantis series in a 7'6, medium action. According to their website, I think you're looking for the ALT76MS model number. That rod ought to be an ideal match for that rod - good bass rod for jigging, soft plastics, and maybe even some light hybrid fishing or saltwater flats for redfish and speckled trout.

Another good match would probably be the G. Loomis Bronzeback series in the 7'7" medium heavy action model.

Spend the extra money for a good, high quality graphite rod that doesn't weigh a lot. If you match a 12 oz. reel with a cheap graphite/glass composite rod that's heavy, it will feel like casting a brick by the end of the day.

bd

Tennesseejugger
06-07-2012, 05:54 PM
I would not spend that kind of money on high end rods that have been suggested. Go get a 7' or 7.6 Berkley lightning shock. Those are the only rods in my boat a geat rod for a fraction of the cost. One of my students father is the owner of Allpro and I can get great deals from him, but I still choose the Berkley Lightning shock if that tell you anything! Those rods are very light and the tip action is awesome. I get mine at BassPro but I have seen them at Wal-mart.

bd-
06-08-2012, 09:35 AM
The Berkley rods are a good buy in the very low-end $30 to $50 price point, and I'd pick them over probably any other "Wal-Mart" rod.

They are going to be heavier than a quality true graphite rod though - the reason they are so cheap is because you're actually buying a "composite" rod blank that is fiberglass with a little graphite mixed in. Since weight is at a premium when you're starting with a 12 oz. reel, shaving an ounce or two off the rod weight makes a big difference.

I have owned a few Berkley rods - when I was younger and broke, that's pretty much all I fished. But I kept coming across two problems consistently. First, the blanks seem to have a lot of flaws, and I bought 3 or 4 that broke for no good reason after only a few fishing trips. This was clearly a manufacturing defect, and they replaced the rods without question, but it was inconvenient to break a rod in the middle of a fishing trip. Who knows, maybe they've fixed this problem in the intervening years.

The other problem I have is that the inexpensive aluminum oxide guides wear out pretty fast. They are prone to developing nicks and spurs that will cause line abrasions or breakoffs. If you use braided line, the guides will wear out even more quickly.

Now, the Berkley rods are definitely a good value for the money, and if the guides wear out after a year or two of heavy use, you can just replace the rod. At $40 or $50, that's not very painful. I think you get better performance out of a true graphite rod though, so it's worth it to me just to spend the money for a premium product. You get what you pay for.

bd