PDA

View Full Version : Oil Mix? 1995 Mercury 175 2.5XRI EFI

whyit21
06-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Just picked up a 1995 Astro with a 175 Mercury. I know that it's a 2 stroke motor, but don't know what to do with the oil mix. I've had a 1981 70 Merc that I pre-mixed at 50:1, and it was fine. But some friends of mine said that there should be a reservoir on this newer motor so that I don't have to pre mix. Problem is . . . can't find one! Can somebody help me out? Come on TK, I know that you know something.

Thanks!!
Wyatt

agelesssone
06-04-2012, 09:06 PM
The reservoir is usually located in the boat, not the motor. The mix on that motor would be 50-1 also.

Some people disconnect the oil pump and mix their own so as not to possibly have a catastrophic failure should the oil injector stop working.

tkwalker
06-04-2012, 09:26 PM
The onboard oil tank located on the power head is to preheat the oil for winter time use ... In the earlier days when oil injection first came out OMC smoked a lot of motors do to the cold oil and it would not flow properly to the injectors .... (This is what started the mix your on and don't trust the injector system) This has pretty much been fixed and improved ...

Now days I think just the smallier outboards (100 HP and below) use the power head reservoir, Which is the only oil injector reservoir on the motor.. most are supplied from an oil tank located in the bilge ... Also alarm systems and auto shut off has been introduced for back up safety devices on some motors ... The oil ratio has not changed since 1960 ... 50:1 ... Your injector systems are metered to supply the correct amount ... Note ... Some Yamaha's are 100:1 ...

Look in the bilge and you should find the oil tank ... If not the injector has stopped working and it is being fed via manual mixing to the tank ...

Hope this helps .... <'TK>< :)

whyit21
06-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys. Knew I could count on you!