PDA

View Full Version : 6.4.1 and 7.0.1 reels

wordty
05-30-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm new to baitcasting and have appreciated learning on this forum, so thanks for any help here...I bought a new 6.4.1. reel, the BPS Pro Qualifier, because I heard it was versatile if only having one baitcaster...I haven't yet settled on a rod for it, but am leaning to a 7 foot Medium Vendetta...

Today an old friend gave me a used KVD Quantum 7.0.1 burner reel...so, with these two reels, what rod set ups (lengths and strengths) and what baits should I throw with each? Should certain baits be used with certain reels / rods or are they similar enough that it doesn't matter....also, I have 10 lb mono on the BPS, so what line should I put on the KVD?

thanks!

Travis C.
05-30-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm partial to 7' rods and med for one then med/heavy the other.

That really depends on the rod though and what your doing with it. I personally don't like the broom stick heavy rods for flipping/pitchin instead going with a med/heavy for that and spinnerbaits. The medium will handle my topwaters, cranks and everything non-thick cover.

Line- you will want a heavier line on the heavier rod and heavier line if you are fishing around a lot of cover. Open water fishing you can get away with lighter line. The 10 lbs is a good cranking/topwater line but I wouldn't thrown spinnerbaits or jigs around cover with it. Usually I carry 3 rods, one with 10lb on a med rod, one with 14lb on med rod and a 14lb med/heavy for almost all applicaitons.

Just remember when putting line on the reels to fill them all the way up. It's better to pull line off than to not fill it up the first time. If a baitcaster is at 100% capacity it will cast at 100% distance capabilities just like if its at 80% it will only cast at 80%.

The gear ratio, I don't car much for the 7's but it has its place where the extra 3 inches or so return per crank comes in handy.

Just my opinion, I am sure others have their preferences too.

thehick176
05-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Well put Travis. As for rods, I have fell in love with the Abu Garcia Veritas series. I'm in the process of replacing most of my rods with the Veritas. I have a friend that custom makes rods too so i gotta leave room for those lol. You cant go wrong with 7ft med/heavy

wordty
05-31-2012, 10:48 PM
OK, thanks to you both for your responses...

So I have now bought a 7 foot Medium Vendetta and a 7 foot Veritas in Medium / Heavy

should the 6.4.1 go on the vendetta (medium) and the 7.0.1 go on the Veritas, and if so, what type baits would you suggest for each one?

Also, the 6.4.1 has 10 pound line...what pound line on the 7.0.1...14?

Thanks!