PDA

View Full Version : Another depth finder question.

Spencer L
05-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Buddy and I installed one on our fishing boat about a month ago. It reads bottom and depth fine when we are trolling but will not when we are running much faster. It seems like bubbles or the water is messing it up. We mounted it like it said just barely "showing" under the boat. What might help?

Thanks, Spencer

spottedbass
05-22-2012, 07:10 AM
It is an aluminum boat? They tend to create much more turbulence underneath and the trapt air will cause the transducer to not read properly.

Spencer L
05-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Yes it is an aluminum boat. I was hoping there would be an easy fix.lol .. Thanks for the info.

tkwalker
05-23-2012, 10:47 PM
There is a fine line here ... try dropping the transducer deeper into the water slightly... At the sametime like previously stated Run a straight edge (ruler from the bottom of the boat ... Match the surface of the pickup with it but keep it parallel( Even, leading and trailing edge flat) with the ruler but SLIGHTLY lower ... Note: sometimes you will always loose signal If you are in a turn and you lift the side of the boat that the transducer is mounted on ...

Remember ... outboards torque to the (port) left so they have a tendency to pick the Starboard (right) side of the boat up ... That is why boats now days having more HP have installed the steering wheel on that side ... The driver will be there and the added weight ... This helps keep the boat flat ... I always mount my transducers on the starboard side ...

If the pickup (transducer) is to low it will rooster tail ... But a slight rooster tail won't hurt if it keeps the signal at crusing speeds and the overspray does not interfear with anything ... regardless of boat material, this can usually be worked out .... all boats regardless of material create Turbulance on the bottom surface ... The worst ones are the boats that have been waxed on the bottom ... This slows the hull down by creating millions of bubbles that have been beaded from the surface and creates resistance .<'TK>< :) PS... Always adjust the pickup so it will flip up if it strikes a floating object (which it will !!!) It needs to kick up if struck... Now at the same time do not set the adjustment to where it is to loose ... it will not stay in place ... The way these p/u's are made you can set them more tight than loose and they will break away ... hope this helps ...