PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick 5-21-2012

Alphahawk
05-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Made the drive to Pickwick this morning hoping to get in on some action bringing home a lot of Gills and hoping....as Travis mentioned.....to get in on some other specie over than the Gills. Thought I could catch around 75 gills and get in some White Bass.....Large Mouth action. I arrived at 9:00AM and fished until 1:30PM. I only caught 2 fish worthy of having a pic made of. I was fishing in the lake side and they were running the generators farthest away from me. Now even though I was up in the lake I was fishing near generator intakes...and when they are running the ones on the side I was fishing on it always attracts bait fish..which brings everything else. You could see fish tearing it up down at the 4th and 5 th intake. But I would have needed a rocket to cast that far...LOL. I did go over by the state park and get into some Gills but they were only hand size but was on a nest of them as caught one almost every cast. The trip was worthwhile though. Found a new place I want to put the kayak in that I think will give me some great fishing. Also look at the Red Ears's tail. He is fanning a bed. I caught one other one at that location also. Will have to keep checking the location and if I know they are going to turn on number one or two that location will be on fire...or go back around when the new moon starts.

Regards

ALANRAYG2
05-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Made the drive to Pickwick this morning hoping to get in on some action bringing home a lot of Gills and hoping....as Travis mentioned.....to get in on some other specie over than the Gills. Thought I could catch around 75 gills and get in some White Bass.....Large Mouth action. I arrived at 9:00AM and fished until 1:30PM. I only caught 2 fish worthy of having a pic made of. I was fishing in the lake side and they were running the generators farthest away from me. Now even though I was up in the lake I was fishing near generator intakes...and when they are running the ones on the side I was fishing on it always attracts bait fish..which brings everything else. You could see fish tearing it up down at the 4th and 5 th intake. But I would have needed a rocket to cast that far...LOL. I did go over by the state park and get into some Gills but they were only hand size but was on a nest of them as caught one almost every cast. The trip was worthwhile though. Found a new place I want to put the kayak in that I think will give me some great fishing. Also look at the Red Ears's tail. He is fanning a bed. I caught one other one at that location also. Will have to keep checking the location and if I know they are going to turn on number one or two that location will be on fire...or go back around when the new moon starts.

Regards

Nice fish. I need to get out but I can't take the heat that's in the forecast. I hear they are tearing up the big gills on Laurel Hill Lake. I enjoy all your post and pics. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Travis C.
05-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Alpha, do you or have you caught many gills at night.

I have never fished for them at night but have been told a time or two that they are sight feeders and can't be caught at night.

You'd think anything that eats could be caught at any given time but I never tried them at night before.

jmull65
05-22-2012, 12:38 PM

I have never fished for them at night but have been told a time or two that they are sight feeders and can't be caught at night.

You'd think anything that eats could be caught at any given time but I never tried them at night before.

believe it or not i have caught some gills a couple weeks back at night time just messing around with chicken liver on a bobber to see what i can catch and i caught some gills :) havent tried it since then so i dont know about right now

Alphahawk
05-22-2012, 12:54 PM

You will catch a few at night...but very few. I have studied and read a lot about this. While some on occasion will get into them at night like in the day...it is not common. It is a matter of survival for them. At night they are big time prey....and they know it. You will run across articles about fishing for Bluegill at night and I have tried it at several times. I have never had any success in doing it and I was fishing in lakes with prolific populations of Bluegill. All of my info comes from reading different articles. You will run into an article every so often about fishing for them at night but the overwhelming majority of info on them is that fishing for them at dark is difficult.

Regards

Alphahawk
05-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Nice fish. I need to get out but I can't take the heat that's in the forecast. I hear they are tearing up the big gills on Laurel Hill Lake. I enjoy all your post and pics. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Yeah the Gills are really big this year at Laurel Hill. Plenty of them there but have to move from spot to spot. I will be really hunting them starting at end of month as the New moon and Full moon approach. Lots of Copper Nose are showing up this year down there. I have seen those in other lakes where two pounders are common. I have already caught quite a few down there that are at the one pound mark. Last year was the first year I had caught any down there. If there is a big population of them in there this is exciting news. Laurel Hill is ripe for producing big Gills...but if the Copper Nose are prolific in there this will change the whole ballgame there. Imagine going fishing for 2 pound Gills on a regular basis!

Regards

Travis C.
05-22-2012, 01:08 PM
You will catch a few at night...but very few. I have studied and read a lot about this. While some on occasion will get into them at night like in the day...it is not common. It is a matter of survival for them. At night they are big time prey....and they know it. You will run across articles about fishing for Bluegill at night and I have tried it at several times. I have never had any success in doing it and I was fishing in lakes with prolific populations of Bluegill. All of my info comes from reading different articles. You will run into an article every so often about fishing for them at night but the overwhelming majority of info on them is that fishing for them at dark is difficult.

Regards

Interesting...

So does that stand to reason for a bass fisherman he should really consider a bluegill colored swimbait, swim jig, crankbait or spinnerbait in those places at night with bass/bluegill poplulations?

Alphahawk
05-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Interesting...

So does that stand to reason for a bass fisherman he should really consider a bluegill colored swimbait, swim jig, crankbait or spinnerbait in those places at night with bass/bluegill poplulations?

I would. Had that same conversation with a TWRA Officer last week at Laurel Hill. He fishes for both specie and was remarking how that is a great bass bait...a lure that imitates a Gill.

Regards