PDA

View Full Version : problem with transducer causing my bilge/battery compartment to fill with water

nofish
05-21-2012, 04:06 PM
I bought a hummingbird 597ci hd and installed it friday. I've had boats with depthfinders, but I've never installed one. I noticed when driving the boat a rooster tail spraying all the way up to the top of my motor coming from where i mounted the transducer. Shortly after i was having trouble getting up on plane and my girlfriend noticed water in the boat. I looked in the bilge/battery compartment and it was full of water. I ended up folding the transducer all the way up after checking for leaks and it stopped the rooster tail and no more water in the boat. I guess it needs to be raised up right? I posted a link to a thread i found where someone else had this problem and mine is mounted exactly how his is in the picture.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/hawaiian-fishing/229334-transducer-mount-question.html

FINNEY
05-21-2012, 06:41 PM
http://www.basspro.com/Humminbird-Fishfinder-596c-HD-DI-Sonar-Fishfinder/product/10210563/47951 The 3rd Review has same problem. Read what worked for him.

nofish
05-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks finney. Do you think raising it up to where it's just an 1/8" below the boat will fix it? It's 2-3" below right now.

tkwalker
05-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Take a straight edge (ruler) mount the trans so the bottom of the boat and the face of the transducer are at the same plane (even) .... Good to go !! <'TK>< :)

tkwalker
05-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks finney. Do you think raising it up to where it's just an 1/8" below the boat will fix it? It's 2-3" below right now.

That is like running wide open down the lake and sticking your hand in the water ... What happens ... Rooster tail and a face full of water .. You have created a scoop ... Sounds like to me someone did not read the installation instructions ...:eek: LOL !!! which is also in French, Spanish, German, and sometimes .. Japanese ... Have you noticed that you never see the instructions in Chinese ... even though they made it ... They do not have a clue what it is used for .... <'TK>< :rolleyes:

nofish
05-22-2012, 07:06 AM
That is like running wide open down the lake and sticking your hand in the water ... What happens ... Rooster tail and a face full of water .. You have created a scoop ... Sounds like to me someone did not read the installation instructions ...:eek: LOL !!! which is also in French, Spanish, German, and sometimes .. Japanese ... Have you noticed that you never see the instructions in Chinese ... even though they made it ... They do not have a clue what it is used for .... <'TK>< :rolleyes:

Lol! It was like reading chinese and to add to the aggravation i was doing it in the dark, but i purposely put the transducer that low. I have no exuse for that one.

Thanks for the replies i'll move it up.

nofish
05-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Take a straight edge (ruler) mount the trans so the bottom of the boat and the face of the transducer are at the same plane (even) .... Good to go !! <'TK>< :)

I called hummingbird and they said the same thing you said, but he said even then I may still get some rooster tail. Apparently they make a piece that goes in between the transducer and the transom to fill in the gap and shipped it today to me for free.