PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Lake/Moors Resort

jebtcop
05-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Hey guys! It's been awhile since I've posted, but I could use a little help. My wife and I are headed to Moors Resort on Kentucky Lake on Wednesday. This is for our 5 year anniversary and she plans on letting me do a good bit of fishing, while we're there. (I definitely married the right girl! :D) I've never fished on Kentucky Lake, but know of it's great reputation. I mainly plan on fishing for bass, large mouth or small mouth, but have no problem catching other species, as well. Is anyone familiar with this resort, or area of the lake? The resort is located in Gilbertsville, Kentucky. (http://www.moorsresort.com/) I had planned on getting a guide on one of the days, but the money isn't gonna be there for that. They have boats for rent, so that's what I intend to do. What techniques would be most productive in this area and time of year? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Also, I believe a TN fishing license is valid on certain parts of the lake, but have no idea if this would cover the area I will be in. Can anyone confirm or deny that? Thanks again!

Fish Whisperer
05-14-2012, 06:47 PM
I was there last fall and was impressed how nice the place is.. You will need to buy a Kentucky license and I caught most of my fish on the rock barrier surrounding the marina.. I'm sure you and your wife will have a great time..

jebtcop
05-14-2012, 06:49 PM
I was there last fall and was impressed how nice the place is.. You will need to buy a Kentucky license and I caught most of my fish on the rock barrier surrounding the marina.. I'm sure you and your wife will have a great time..
I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for the tips!

backdoc
05-14-2012, 09:43 PM
I am actually from there and worked at Moors Resort for a summer in college (after working at KY Dam Marina for 4 years). Haven't fished the lake in a year or so since I moved to nashville but fished in a club there 2 years ago. Your best bet usually this time of year is to take a shakeyhead (or worm) and/or mid depth crankbait and pound the banks. Boat in about 10 foot of water fishing the bank. Unless the fish have already moved to the ledges, which they take years to learn how to find and I still havent gotten the hang of it.

A KY license is good all the way to Paris Landing Bridge which is about 16-20 miles from Moors by water so I doubt you get that far. Your best bet is to either go right around the corner and back into Big Bear creek or cross the lake and fish the LBL side and fish Sugar, Duncan, Higgins, and Pisgah are all good bays.

I'll be glad to give you some specifics if you really need more than that.

butts0907
05-15-2012, 08:24 AM
I fished south of there (Blood River) a little over a month or so ago and caught most of my fish on a shakey head in anywhere from 5 - 12 ft of water. However, the water was still at winter pool so most of the cover on the banks was dry and there were about 200 crappie fishermen that I had to fight for spots so we did most of our fishing out on the main channel and coves right off of it. However, in the past I've had pretty good success flipping lizards and jigs around docks. Some friends of mine who fish it more often that I do have caught them all year on shakey heads along rocky banks so I would probably start with that and see where it takes you. I'll get in touch with them and see if they have any update on recommendations on where and what to fish.

Good luck and be sure to post pics!!

-Paul

jebtcop
05-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys, for all the tips! We're almost there now, and I can't wait to get started. I'll definitely post pics of anything worthy...lol....If anyone else has any more advice, I'll be here till Saturday night, so please don't hesitate to share.