PDA

View Full Version : Lake Guntersville AL.

eaglestrike09
05-12-2012, 02:38 PM
My brother Gary and myself are planning a trip to Lake Guntersville the third week of june. We will be there for three or four days and fishing out of a 14ft rouge river canoe. I was thinking of throwing the frog or fluke around the weed beds!!! Any recomendations would be appreciated!!!!
I am trying to get my brother on some 5+ pounders if possible!!!!
Thanks very much for your replys!!!!!!

Tennesseejugger
05-13-2012, 04:30 PM
My brother Gary and myself are planning a trip to Lake Guntersville the third week of june. We will be there for three or four days and fishing out of a 14ft rouge river canoe. I was thinking of throwing the frog or fluke around the weed beds!!! Any recomendations would be appreciated!!!!
I am trying to get my brother on some 5+ pounders if possible!!!!
Thanks very much for your replys!!!!!!
I have been wanting to go there myself, let me know how it went and where you stayed at.

bd-
05-13-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm not the bass expert here, and other people can probably tell you better than me, but I'd think June might be a tiny bit on the early side for frogs in weedbeds. I've only used that tactic around emergent vegetation later in the summer.

I'd be fishing the flukes or an unweighted lizard, or maybe a spinnerbait over the weed beds and letting it flutter down into gaps in the weeds. But again, I'm a trout guy, not a bass expert, so wait for better advice from the guys here who know more about bass than I do. :)

bd

Tennesseejugger
05-13-2012, 05:35 PM
I'm not the bass expert here, and other people can probably tell you better than me, but I'd think June might be a tiny bit on the early side for frogs in weedbeds. I've only used that tactic around emergent vegetation later in the summer.

I'd be fishing the flukes or an unweighted lizard, or maybe a spinnerbait over the weed beds and letting it flutter down into gaps in the weeds. But again, I'm a trout guy, not a bass expert, so wait for better advice from the guys here who know more about bass than I do. :)

bd
You are correct it is early for frogs here in Tn. But who knows about further south, I would throw one any way. What have you got to lose?

eaglestrike09
05-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Yep according to Alabama Bass Trail info, the weed beds are best in the fall! I have been doing a google earth recon of the lake, and have found
several areas that look good for putting in the canoe and paddling to close by boat docks or weed beds that would be protected from a stiff wind and the resulting whitecaps lol !! We will most likely stay some where cheap,
Days inn or Hotel 8, more important is finding some great places to eat!!!!
Thanks for your input guys, I will post the results of the trip here when we return.

blr3a
05-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Throw that frog!!! I agree a fluke or lizard would be a good choice as well, BUT THROW THAT FROG! I won't give long explanations but I busted 4 keepers during that 45 minute dusk til dark window. Two of them broke the 4lb mark. I only throw frogs until the sun rises or after it sets. This was on Old Hickory! I'll be on Guntersville in two weeks... packing frogs! (and my magic jig)

eaglestrike09
05-18-2012, 12:28 PM
I have hired a guide for 6 hours on the 20th of june, Capt. Jake Davis.
He will take us on a tour of the lake and show us where to fish from the canoe and then take us out to a deep ledge for a shot at some big Bass!!!! He recomends we stay at the Key West Hotel for $59 a night,
I think I will make reservations!!

Scott715
05-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Salamanders produced well for me last week at Hickory. I have fished Guntersville twice and loved the blow ups those frogs produced. If you're throwing anywhere near the matted grass or lily pads, be sure the hook is in the bait. lol

I don't have any doubt the guides will put you on some big fish down there. Post some pics.

Travis C.
05-19-2012, 01:06 PM
I would always take frogs. They a really versitile. You are limiting yourself if you only throw a "green frog to lilly pads." I would carry a white, black, pumpkin or brown colored ones. Fish it everywhere. Not all times does a bass eat a frog bait thinking I just ate a frog.

White more open water, black in thick grass pads etc, brown or pumpkin along wooded banks or docks especially where birds are nesting around.

I'd also take lipless baits in a few shad/bluegill colors and maybe a red. Cover water with it all the ditches grass lines and other edges.

The last I'd take is some jigs to swim in white (for shad imitation) and a bluegill color. Fish them same places as lipless and everywhere you'd throw a spinnerbait. A slow twitching retrieve is sometimes best. They'll eat it.

Sorry its late....been in FL without connection to anything. Good Luck.

Baxter83
05-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Frogs and topwaters will be good early morning and late evening (dusk til dark especially) in June, but if you're fishing the grass that time of year I'd go with weightless worms or creature baits... finesse worm on a 3/0 worm hook with no more than 16lb test braid or 12lb test mono ;)

I was there for 4 days last month and plan to go back down many more times this year...

eaglestrike09
05-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, just waiting for the time to come now.
When my brother comes down from Louisville on Sunday Jun the 17th, we are going out in the canoe on Monday to practice for what we are going to be trying at Guntersville. We will proberly put in at Lagardo on Old Hickery! Then head on down to Alabama on Tuesday for the real fun!!!

90titans89
06-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Get your license online before you go. You can put in at Goose Pond and fish for days and not get near the main channel. Looking forard to your pics.

eaglestrike09
06-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Today my brother Gary and me went to BPS and bought baits fishing shirts
and other odds and ends for the trip. I called Capt Jake, and he is going to meet us in the lobby of the Key west inn at 0500 wed. morning. We have our Alabama fishing lic from online! and tomorrow we are going to put the canoe in at Stewart creek and test everything out and prctice our techniqes. Tue. we will drive down and fish Lake Guntersville!!!!!
It is almost here!!!!!!

Baxter83
06-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Hopefully you'll wear em out! I haven't heard anything from anyone that's fished it lately, but there's a lot of fish to be caught down there year round. Good luck!

Post some pics for us!

Travis C.
06-19-2012, 09:55 AM
This is a recent report from ETF (6/10 thru 6/16)

Here's the recap from the week at Guntersville. Overall we probably caught a little more than 100 fish, mostly bass with a few blue cats, a couple of channel cats, some white bass, a few yellow bass, bluegill, shellcrackers, two gar, a few drum and one lonely crappie.

Monday- We were set to go with John Henry the Guntersville Basswhacker Guide but it was pouring buckets so when he text at 4AM and gave us the option of going PM instead of AM we jumped on it. When 1:00 rolled around we met him at the ramp and had our best day for size of fish, catching quite a few better fish in the 3 to 5lb range. John was by far the best guide we've ever fished with and if you're ever looking for a guide we would HIGHLY recommend him. He was excellent.

Tuesday- The rain kept us off the lake early but we went in the evening. We spent more time driving around looking for stuff than fishing but still managed a dozen fish or so, up to about 4lbs.

Wednesday through Saturday- This is when we started figuring out our area (Mud Creek) and not fishing the mid-lake zone. We found some good schools and concluded that a small crankbait ticked through the grass got us the most bites and started catching 12 to 30 fish a day, mostly LM with a few white and yellow bass thrown in. These were smaller schooled bass that only went up to about 4lbs but it was a blast with multiple doubles and each of us had a double of our own, Shell caught 2 at once on a crankbait and I caught 2 at once on a top water.

eaglestrike09
06-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Just got back from Guntersville, did not go too well , they have been spraying herbicide all over the lake and the locals say that it runs off the big fish!!! They have not sprayed Crow creek and we caught some fish there!!! We went out wed with the guide and my brother caught a four pounder, and the guide caught a 15 inch bass and that was all in six hours!!!! Most places we went to put in had a little pink notice slip posted that herbicide had been sprayed and not to swimm, but you could keep fish ( ha if you can catch em!!!). Well here are some pics!!!