PDA

View Full Version : Percy Priest advice desperately needed

Nashville Dude
05-06-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm a total noob to fishing and have been taking my boys for the last couple weeks to Percy Priest, to the Seven Points area. We're getting totally skunked and they are losing interest quickly in fishing as a result. Can someone recommend a better spot to catch something (doesn't matter what--as long as we're catching some kind of fish they'll be happy--they're getting awfully discouraged). We have a canoe we can fish out of or we can bank fish. Recommended lures or baits and any other tips would be much appreciated. A couple of my boys still haven't caught a single fish in their lives. Thanks much!

Tennesseejugger
05-06-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm a total noob to fishing and have been taking my boys for the last couple weeks to Percy Priest, to the Seven Points area. We're getting totally skunked and they are losing interest quickly in fishing as a result. Can someone recommend a better spot to catch something (doesn't matter what--as long as we're catching some kind of fish they'll be happy--they're getting awfully discouraged). We have a canoe we can fish out of or we can bank fish. Recommended lures or baits and any other tips would be much appreciated. A couple of my boys still haven't caught a single fish in their lives. Thanks much! Priest is a hard lake to fish from the bank, not much cover for fish to hide around close to the bank. There are some spots though, how far are you from Old Hickory lake? There are alot better bank fishing spot on Old Hickory.

Travis C.
05-06-2012, 07:13 PM
The little area at Cooks with the fishing pier may be better but I am not really familiar with a lot of that lake though.

Nashville Dude
05-06-2012, 07:20 PM
We're in the Brentwood area, so Old Hickory is probably an hour away or so. If there are good boating spots, I can take them in a canoe, as well. But is PP just a tough lake all around to fish? Other recommended lakes or rivers near us that would be a lot easier? If we were to go to Old Hickory, where would you recommend as a prime location? Thanks again.

SAMBOLIE
05-06-2012, 07:28 PM
If you have a canoe go to the sail boat marina at Hamilton Creek. There is a very nice floating pier that all the rowers use. Paddle directly across and fish the shore out toward the lake. There is also decent fishing back across to the launch side. Once you get back to the point and head back to the pier you can also fish the shore.
Good luck.

Forgot. there are always a lot of surfacing fish from the launch pier to the opposite shore. So fish as you initially go across.

jad2t
05-06-2012, 07:35 PM
For bank fishing, Jefferson Springs treats me pretty well this time of the year while the water is still low. Usually the water is up by now. I go there sometimes after work and fish until it gets dark. If you pull into the ramp area and head left (away from the bridge) you'll find some good fishable water. I've tried lots of lures out there but my best luck has come on zoom flukes. That's all I use when I go out there now.

Mnfishingbum
05-06-2012, 07:36 PM
You could try the wiliamsport lakes for sunnies. Rent a boat on their kids only lake.

Alphahawk
05-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Williamsport......VFW.....Laurel Hill.....great bank fishing and I'm talking nice Gills......huge Gills at Laurel Hill.....9 to 10inches.....VFW plenty of half pound 7 inch Gills......the Williamsport lakes you can catch plenty of 6 inch Gills....very chunky. If you can take the canoe and go to Bedford Lake you can get into some really big Gills....some can go to a pound.

Regards

StriperFan
05-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Even at Seven Points you can catch some fish, I am guessing that that area is convenient to you. Our fishing club had a "take a kid fishing day" there a few years ago. It was, just show up, provide the kids gear, and try to make sure they don't get hurt. Put a sinker and hook rig on, enough to make a fair cast. Bait with canned corn, put two or three kernals on. Also bait some rods with a night crawler. Once you cast them out, just leave the bail open and set them in the grass. Half-way watch them, or put a bell on them, while you play frisbee or something. You will have a carp, catfish, or bluegill before you know it. The carp and cats really give kids a memorable experience.

Travis C.
05-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Since you have a canoe, maybe you could take your boys out camping on one of Percy's islands. They are all primitive sites but most have firepit rings and it's free.

On a map the are designated with a tent shape and "P".

Or listed here: http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/op/jpp/rec/maps/JPP_Primitive_Camping_Guide.pdf

I have done it several times on bear..

Nashville Dude
05-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks everyone. Some terrific, helpful ideas here. I think we'll try the Williamsport Lakes next time and maybe have some luck with some bluegill. Thanks again!

bd-
05-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Can someone recommend a better spot to catch something (doesn't matter what--as long as we're catching some kind of fish they'll be happy--they're getting awfully discouraged).

Percy Priest is a tough spot for beginners. I'm not surprised you're getting discouraged.

If I were you, I'd take your kids on a creek wading trip to the Harpeth River. From Brentwood, you're only about 15 minutes away from a nice access point at the Highway 100 bridge. You can wade for a good long way from this access - there are some long flatwater stretches along this section but I'd concentrate on the heads and tails of pools in the flowing water. There's a tributary stream that runs alongside Edwin Warner Park and comes into the Harpeth in this stretch too - the junction pool is a good area.

This stretch of the Harpeth is only a fair bass fishing area, but there are excellent numbers of panfish and even some nice channel catfish to be found here. You will see some big buffalo and gar too but they probably won't bite.

For best results, I'd use light rods and line and small lures. In-line spinners are a great choice for small streams - try Rooster Tails or Panther Martin spinners in a 1/8 oz. or 1/16 oz. size. Another favorite lure of mine is the Rebel Wee Crawfish crankbait.

Really, you could use those two lures and leave everything else at home and catch plenty of fish. If you want other choices, take along some other small crankbaits and spinnerbaits and you should catch fish. I'm not saying you will catch giant trophy fish along this section, but if you're just looking to catch a few panfish and have fun, you should have better success here than on Percy Priest.

Plus, wading small waters is a fun way to spend the day. Wear sandals and swimming trunks and make a relaxing day of it.

If you want to use your canoe, there is an access point at Moran Road where you can put in and float down to the Hwy 100 bridge, but I'm not sure how many miles it is.

bd

Nashville Dude
05-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks bd! We will give it a try!

OAS_5150
05-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Williamsport is gorgeous and the kids will catch fish with little effort. That's where I would recommend taking your boys. I've completely giving up on bank fishing at priest. There are some spots along the Harpeth close to you as well but I haven't had much luck on it fishing from the bank.

Alphahawk
05-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Yes you can probably catch plenty of 5 to 6 inch gills at Williamsport. All I can say is if Williamsport is gorgeous then VFW and Laurel Hill are awe inspiring! Seriously...VFW and Laurel Hill are maintained like parks and are very scenic places. I fish Williamsport but have never thought it very scenic. Yes it is a good place to catch some Gills.....but in no way will it compare to VFW and Laurel Hill in scenery.

Regards

mofltnangler
05-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Many of the smaller creeks contain small, easy to catch fish. I just took my little girl out for about a half hour and we pulled these little guys out of a small creek behind our neighborhood. The water was less than a foot deep and the creek was not wider than 8-10 ft at the most. We used trout magnet about 8 inches under under a float.

No trophies and not the biggest she has caught, but we had a great time and that is what it is all about.

Be patient, use small, effective baits (trout magnet is a good choice), and hopefully you will get the kids into some fishing fun.

robhal11
05-08-2012, 11:32 PM
I sure agree with BD,Alpha, and moflnangler a buddy of mine took me out on a creek with a trout mag. and I bet we caught 50 to 75
plus fish before 11:00am. Every cast a red eye or a trout(this was up on the Caney). I bet the Harpeth, as the other guys have said would keep the kids catching fish.