PDA

View Full Version : Little Red River Trout

wordty
05-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Heading there this weekend near Heber Springs / Pangburn...anyone got any hotspots or tips to recommend for that area? I'll have a boat with me as well.

Travis C.
05-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Fly fishing or conventional...

Conventional- Trout Magnets on 2lb test with 2lb fluoro leader section on the end.

Fly fishing- on John Wilson's forum flyfishingarkansas.com here is an answer from a similiar question:

"If you want to imitate a BWO a pheasant tail is the imitation of the nymph. A simple bead head PT will do the trick. I'd recommend something in an #18 or #20. Same on the BWOs. Smaller usually works as well or better.

There are some absolute staples for the rivers in North Arkansas. First of all they are tail waters. Regardless of where in the world you are tail waters equal small bugs are the rule. There are exceptions obviously but for some reason cold water tail waters are traditionally midge fisheries. Be sure to take lots of 6X and 7X along with zebra midges in black 80%, brown 10%, gray 5% and olive 5%. By far one of the most popular patterns on any of these rivers seems to be a size #18-20 zebra midge. The exception is one a sculpin imitation. Olive or black woolly buggers of various sizes are a staple. Fish a bugger the same color as the bottom of the river. Sculpins have the ability to change color quickly and will adapt to their surroundings. If it is a black bottom fish a black bugger. Mossy fish an olive. The other is a sow bug imitation. The Little Red is FULL of sow bugs. It is not a very romantic pattern but it works. Sow bugs likely make up the vast majority of the trout diet on the Little Red. Not so much on the White or Norfork. On the Little Red it would be a "Go To" pattern. "

wordty
05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Conventional...using trout magnets for sure...wondered any other go to baits and what areas / sections / access points to use.

thanks for the info

Travis C.
05-02-2012, 02:44 PM
You shouldn't need anything else with those magnets.

If I remember right there were several posts talking about fishing at the Park on the Little Red.

tcintn
05-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Going to Little Red and fish on 5/15 with the Trout Magnet owner.
last time there a few years back,he took my grandson and me out for two days and we caught 325 trout. It was absolutely unreal. We kept the count on a counter which all the guides take with them that guide for Jeff.
Call the TM store and I know Jeff will give you any help he can on where to go.

Catchingtrout
05-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Grab a map at any of the shops. It'll give you all you need for access points and float times. Since you are going conventional I would recommend a Rapala Broken Back Shad Rap in a variety of colors (Size 5 - 7). A Rattle Trap isn't a bad idea either (1/4 - 1/2 oz.)

A fly to consider in addition to the Sculpin, Sow bug and Midges is the Red Ass. Use Flourocarbin leaders.

Let us know how it goes. I'll be over there in June.

wordty
05-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Well we are back and had a great time...we caught them on Countdown Rapalas, Little Cleo, Crawdads, Uncle Mike's spinners, Panther Martins, and most of all Trout Magnets...we actually did use one of the guides from Trout Magnet and they are the nicest people you'll find.

Thanks for all the input here the last week!