PDA

View Full Version : Cordell Hull Stripers

MNfisher
04-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Thinking of heading to Cordell Hull dam to chase rockfish from shore this weekend. Any advice anyone can give to a newbie??

Thanks!

StriperFan
04-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Thinking of heading to Cordell Hull dam to chase rockfish from shore this weekend. Any advice anyone can give to a newbie??

Thanks!
Take at least one light outfit to fish for skipjack. Have a heavy rod rigged with a big hook and slip bobber. Have another heavy rod rigged with a big hook and sinker. You can walk the bait on the slip bobber down with the current. It may take a fairly heavy bit of weight to bottom fish below the dam. Artificials also work good, like 4-6" swimbaits.

kfleming
04-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Carry two poles. One for the rockfish and a light rod to catch your skip jacks. Fish on the turkey creek side of the dam near the boils not the horseshoe bend side. I hook my skip jacks in the nose and another cheater hook behind the dorsal fin. Six aught circle hooks. Cast beyond the boils and let your bait drift downstream naturally. Only use love bait, when it dies catch another one. Please release the big ones. Good luck

titansfan2104
04-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Take at least one light outfit to fish for skipjack. Have a heavy rod rigged with a big hook and slip bobber. Have another heavy rod rigged with a big hook and sinker. You can walk the bait on the slip bobber down with the current. It may take a fairly heavy bit of weight to bottom fish below the dam. Artificials also work good, like 4-6" swimbaits.

Have you ever used balloons or pool noodles instead of the manufactured slip bombers?? I think balloons on a swivel would be convenient!!

StriperFan
04-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Have you ever used balloons or pool noodles instead of the manufactured slip bombers?? I think balloons on a swivel would be convenient!!I have used balloons before. I have not used noodles before but that is a good idea for big baits. You could rig it up like a slip bobber to make it easier for casting. That is why I like the big slip bobbers, you can cast them pretty easy.