PDA

View Full Version : stones river

tsuggs
03-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Decided to wet my legs a little so went down to the thompson lane green way.Waded downstream probly half mile and caught numerous species. Smallies,spots,sunfish,bluegill,red eyes.They were all on the small side but great to catch while waist deep. Crappie magnets and tubes,1/16,yella/white,red/chart.

smalliefan
03-27-2012, 11:31 AM
me and a buddy floated the stones from medical center parkway down to thompson lane on sunday. had a blast. caught a bunch of fish.

jad2t
03-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Any sign of the white bass? I'm having a tough time locating them this spring so far

jaycee
03-28-2012, 07:34 AM
White bass in West Fork Stones River would be below Nices Mill Dam. Go to Nice's Mill and drive Florence Road to the West Fork Ramp. You will see the cars or where they have pulled off to fish. Lots of spots and you can tell when the fishing is good because there will be lots of cars. You may have to hike thru the woods for a really good spot. Follow some others, that is what I did.

On East fork, you go below Walter Hill Dam. Drive Jefferson Pike from Walter Hill to Mona ramp. There is a place to pull off at what is called Randolfs curve. A TWRA parking spot/drive across the road from a big old White House a little out of WHill. With the early spring, it is getting late for the White Bass run as I am finding everything is happening about 3 to 4 weeks early according to my journal over the past about 7 years.

What is everyone else experiencing.

Good luck exploring.

jad2t
03-28-2012, 08:43 AM
I tried a spot last week a couple miles downstream of Nice Mill, it looked like the absolute perfect habitat for spawing white bass but not a single one was there. I caught bass, a couple trout, and a stray crappie but that's it. Right below Nice Mill is usually not a good place to fish but I guess it's worth a shot.

I'll try that area around the Mona ramp Thursday night if the weather permits. Thanks for the tip, I'll report back if I find them.

jad2t
03-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Jaycee - That's a nice looking spot. It took a while to find it and I got off work a little later than I hoped so I didn't have much time before dark but I fished it last night. I wasted too much time exploring and found nothing but really shallow water, by the time I found the deeper areas it was really getting late. I had a little bit of time and got into a few white bass and saw a guy pull several really nice sized crappie out. Also saw all sorts of big feeding action, definitely bass. I'll surely go back soon and bring my waders.