PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Marrebone???

agelesssone
03-07-2012, 06:40 AM
Fishing Marrebone in the AM, anybody else? I figure it's a bowl lake set down in a hollow so I can find some kind fo place to get out of those 25-30 MPH winds tomorrow whilst I give the crappie and shellcracker.

ducksooner
03-08-2012, 05:56 AM
man i didn't get on here yesterday but i was there tue and just caught one bass and one trout and that was all. ill either hit this lake next week or hit old hickory at east station camp haven't made my mind up.. there both about the same amount of time way from me..

Doc Marshall
03-08-2012, 06:23 PM
DuckSooner,

Marrowbone could be an outstanding little fishing lake. The bass in my avatar is from there. It's beautiful and relatively low traffic.

However, I really doubt the lake has that many bass. It's not a good place for numbers and it can be very frustrating. You'll spend hours on the water with no luck. A few sunfish and maybe a catfish or two. Some trout (close to the dock). There are big bass in there (and monster carp), but they're few in far between in my experience.

Let me put it this way: this is one lake where you could toss dynamite on all the points and still get skunked.

SAMBOLIE
03-08-2012, 07:28 PM
There is no shortage of snakes. Maybe they are eating the fish.

Travis C.
03-08-2012, 07:35 PM
The lake should be a lot better than reports I hear from it.

From what have I read about it the lake was built somewhere in 1930-1940 range. It has a creek feeding it, natural springs in it and depth. On paper the lake should fish well.

Gettanet
03-09-2012, 06:31 AM
I have fished this lake for over 40 years. Very fond memories of my dad taking me when I lived in Nashville and us renting a boat and trolling motor and him letting me drive the boat. I still make a trek for at least one visit a year.

Depends on what you are seeking. For bluegill it is an excellent lake. Need to fish deeper to get the "big as your hand" size. Channel cats can be caught in the lower end. As for bass, I normally only fish for them early in the day and then swith over to panfish. Best day had 3 bass over 18 inches. Most time though I would expect to catch maybe one an hour and be between 14 to 18 inches in length each. Biggest I have out of there was just under 21 inches. For me I work top water very early and then change to soft plastic as I tend to work the downed structure (which there is a good bit). This lake has steeper grades than what you normally expect from a small lake.

I have the most fun pulling out the fly rod and popping bugs to catch panfish and some bass.

It will take time to learn the lake but it can produce.

ducksooner
03-09-2012, 09:51 AM
i fished the lake on the 1st day march this year and i catch 6 bass biggest being 2.5 pounds out of there. but like everyone is saying it is a very slow lake and you need to slow down and fish a small 4 to 5 maybe even 9 times before moving on.. theres a lot of tree running under the water that has fall down off the bank if you could find where the creek started a man would be sit cause of the trout that would move back there in the summer and also the bass to get the fresh water...

Reel Tune
03-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Maybe a big sinking swimbait would be the ticket during the early hours of the morning. Something like an 8" trout.