PDA

View Full Version : Baitcast?

wordty
03-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Am wanting a new bass set up...have read a bunch on baitcast reels...I don't fish a ton so will not be spending over the $100 to $175 range...I am looking for suggestions on specific reels, rods, or combos...and best line weight / type for BASS FISHING...I am very open to a Wally World set up and have looked at the Bass Pro "Tourney Special" and may pull the trigger on it...any advice? How many feet, what pound / type line? Thanks!

Travis C.
03-05-2012, 08:34 AM
How do you like to bass fish?

For general purpose probably a 6'6" or 7', 10 or 12lb line, medium action or medium heavy if it's not too stiff to still throw lighter stuff. If you have a spinning rod that can handle some crankbaits, tubes, shaky heads and things like that then I'd lean towards a med-heavy rod so you can fish the medium to bigger crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs or worms in heavy cover without worries.

The reels are really just preference. Find one you like and is comfortable in your hand. There are quality reels from $49 and up to over $200 these days.

I use Shimano and they have held up well over the last 15 years or so.

Buccaneer
03-05-2012, 09:12 AM
In my humble opinion the best baitcast reel for the $ is the Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier. In fact the Pro Qualifier spinning reel is also a fantastic deal for a super smooth reel. I did notice the other day in Wal-Mart Hendersonville they had the Skeet Reese Wright & McGill Victory reels, baitcast and spinning, for $79 along with the Skeet Reese rods. These are terrific combo's and you can get the rods in technique specific actions. Academy Sports in Rivergate has their annual Rod Riot sale going on now and you can get a great deal and pick up an H2O brand baitcaster for a good price.

Travis C.
03-05-2012, 12:51 PM
I did notice the other day in Wal-Mart Hendersonville they had the Skeet Reese Wright & McGill Victory reels, baitcast and spinning, for $79 along with the Skeet Reese rods. These are terrific combo's and you can get the rods in technique specific actions.

I seen those too the other day. The Skeet reels seemed pretty good. I turned several of them playing around. The one that impressed me the most for its price ($49.99) was the Abu Garcia Black Max (red/black reel). Next time I need to purchase one I believe I will try it out.

The Bass Pro rods have always worked fine for me. All mine are on older series bionic blade rods and Almost all my spinning reels are the Pro Qualifiers. The have definitely help up over time...all were purchased in the mid-late 90's.

whrizob
03-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Lew reels are by far the best for the money, no matter which reel you buy! And B and R outlaw rods are a still. All are top notch!

gfrizzell
03-20-2012, 01:01 AM
I just joined this forum and love it. I bought a Johnny Morris carbon lite rod and reel combo that I picked out, independently, and got the combo for 200 bucks out the door. I've fished with it several times and I absolutely love it. I know that's a little more than you posted but it's a great setup. Hope this helps.

DBirdtn
04-19-2012, 09:18 AM
A very good rod and reel set up is the quantum smoke.I own both rod and reel baitcast and was really impressed with how both handle.Reel is amazing which i was truely surprised very hard to backlash if you set up right.Guys don't be afraid of baitcasters once you truely learn how to handle and set up reel you will never look back i proimise and the reels these days very hard to backlash.Well in my opinion spend alittle money on reel cause you definately get what yo pay for and that doesn't mean you have to spend $200or 3 hundred just get a name brand and i prefer a reel with brakeing adjuster on the side for starters just set brack up on 7 or 8 and throw out lure.But do research talk to guys at stores or at lakes.Well hope this helps

Tennesseejugger
04-23-2012, 11:06 AM
I seen those too the other day. The Skeet reels seemed pretty good. I turned several of them playing around. The one that impressed me the most for its price ($49.99) was the Abu Garcia Black Max (red/black reel). Next time I need to purchase one I believe I will try it out.

The Bass Pro rods have always worked fine for me. All mine are on older series bionic blade rods and Almost all my spinning reels are the Pro Qualifiers. The have definitely help up over time...all were purchased in the mid-late 90's. X2 that is the only reels that I use, I have several of the blck max and silver max, once you get them tuned in good they are just about backlash proof! I have mine monted on the Berkley Lightning shock double grip rods and love'em.