PDA

View Full Version : Nickajack 3-01-2012...First limit of year!

Alphahawk
03-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Had a great day at Nickajack today. Got 15 Crappie with another nice kicker Spot. Had 7 on that pulled out...but the reason being is I could not turn them with the 2# test line. I have caught a lot of two pound Crappie with 2# test line..... all 15 are big fish but those that I lost were Hawgs! Larry if you are reading get ready for next week...I will be calling.

Regards

Fish Whisperer
03-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Thats a great day of fishing....

ALANRAYG2
03-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Looks like some nice ones !!!! It was really nice outside today.

Travis C.
03-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Does your cooler keep getting smaller or those fish getting bigger. :D

Have they not came back to Pickwick yet?

Alphahawk
03-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Does your cooler keep getting smaller or those fish getting bigger. :D

Have they not came back to Pickwick yet?

The guy I fish with at Pickwick from time to time tells me he has been having so much fun catching big White Bass he has put off his Crappie fishing. I will probably make a trip there next week but will have to be careful there as all of those rocks...can't afford another fall right now....can be hard to navigate depending on water level. As for the size of cooler..fish...LOL...I fully expect to get a couple of 3 pound Crappie out of Nickajack within the next 3 months. Don't know why but they grow them big there.

Regards

scaledown62
03-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Good to know that someone appreciates the benefits of two pound test !
I use it all the time - what brand do you use ? The Bass Pro shops line in the green package has proven to be of high quality - I hope they don't discontinue it !

Alphahawk
03-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Good to know that someone appreciates the benefits of two pound test !
I use it all the time - what brand do you use ? The Bass Pro shops line in the green package has proven to be of high quality - I hope they don't discontinue it !

We all have a preference for line. When I tell you I have tried all 2# test on the market..that is true...at least the 2# test I know about. I currently use NanoFil line with a leader for all my fishing needs. You can cast a UL bait a country mile with the stuff. As I have said before it has it's short comings...all line does. I am also a fan of P Line CX Premium and Lealand's Lures SOS 2# test line. I am going to make a move this weekend to keep me from having those big Crappie fight me too long. I am spooling up my Crappie reel with 4# test NanoFil and going to 3# test fluorocarbon leader. Now if my catch rate goes down I will go back to the 2# test NanoFil....but even though I catch a lot of Crappie I don't like losing even one. The longer a Crappie can play around the more chance that hook has of coming loose.

Regards

SAMBOLIE
03-02-2012, 06:05 PM
We all have a preference for line. When I tell you I have tried all 2# test on the market..that is true...at least the 2# test I know about. I currently use NanoFil line with a leader for all my fishing needs. You can cast a UL bait a country mile with the stuff. As I have said before it has it's short comings...all line does. I am also a fan of P Line CX Premium and Lealand's Lures SOS 2# test line. I am going to make a move this weekend to keep me from having those big Crappie fight me too long. I am spooling up my Crappie reel with 4# test NanoFil and going to 3# test fluorocarbon leader. Now if my catch rate goes down I will go back to the 2# test NanoFil....but even though I catch a lot of Crappie I don't like losing even one. The longer a Crappie can play around the more chance that hook has of coming loose.

Regards

How much do you budget for fishing line, equipment, etc. ? :D

scaledown62
03-09-2012, 12:41 PM
I am not familiar with the brands of line that you mentioned...the bass pro product is doing fine for me so I have no reason to try any other, or add a leader. However, if I could see a benefit to changing, I would. I make jigs with #6/#8 fine wire hooks, and can usually pull off a snag with the two pound test, while straightening or bending the hook, then bending it back into place afterwards. This time of year, the small impoundments provide good fishing; they warm up faster and do not muddy up as much after a rain as the big lakes. If anyone knows of any watershed lakes/large ponds in close in to Nashville available to the public let us know - there are not too many that I'm aware of but I have a few that have been coughing up bluegill and crappie all winter long, and will be improving as water temps and sun elevation get higher.

Alphahawk
03-09-2012, 06:50 PM
I am not familiar with the brands of line that you mentioned...the bass pro product is doing fine for me so I have no reason to try any other, or add a leader. However, if I could see a benefit to changing, I would. I make jigs with #6/#8 fine wire hooks, and can usually pull off a snag with the two pound test, while straightening or bending the hook, then bending it back into place afterwards. This time of year, the small impoundments provide good fishing; they warm up faster and do not muddy up as much after a rain as the big lakes. If anyone knows of any watershed lakes/large ponds in close in to Nashville available to the public let us know - there are not too many that I'm aware of but I have a few that have been coughing up bluegill and crappie all winter long, and will be improving as water temps and sun elevation get higher.

I would be interested in buying some of those jig heads if you have any for sale....preferably with a Shad Dart head at 1/64....but any head will do if you can pull off the hook using 2# test line. Here is why I have tried so many lines.....casting distance. Casting distance equates to more area fished on a cast thus more fish. Now some will disagree with that but fishing from the bank casting distance is everything. I have used the Bass Pro line you use. I can tell you that all things being equal that P Line CX Premium will outcast it and is much stronger....but P Line CX Premium in 2# test is fine as hair..and you better retie the lure after a couple of fish...and if it is a good size fish you better retie after just one fish...LOL. SOS fishing line is sold by Trout Magnet. It will also outcast the Bass Pro line..has great knot strength and if you buy it in bulk it is a huge bargain. NanoFil beats them all for casting distance...but is expensive...floats...which is not too good if you are waiting on a 1/64 ounce jig to sink....and after a few fishing trips you have to strip off quite a few feet of line as it does fray...but I have never lost a fish due to the fraying. You also must use a leader with NanoFil...even though one of their pro-staff says otherwise....but I am sure fish can see it. For now NanoFil is my line of choice...but like you I am open to anything that will make my fishing better. That is what is so good about the forum...good exchange of ideas and information.

Regards