PDA

View Full Version : Caney 3/1?

Aciddrag0n
03-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Will the caney be fishable tomorrow from the shore with them running 2 or more generators all day tomorrow? What would the next closest place for trout be near the Cookeville area?

jad2t
03-01-2012, 08:44 AM
There won't be too much good bank fishing access with the water so high unless you want to fish around the dam. For trout, Cane Creek Park stocks trout in the lake there during the colder months. I'm not sure when was the last time they did it this year but you should look into it.

Also, the Calfkiller River has trout stocked in it during the winter and I think the last week of March is the last stock date. It's a little south of Cookeville but it's a worthwhile trip. I've done pretty well in there a few times.

bd-
03-01-2012, 12:37 PM
The lake level is headed toward 626 so they may back it down to 1 gen at some point tomorrow or Saturday, unless we get a bunch more rain Friday. However, even one generator will still be a lot of water for shore fishing, though you may find some small fishing spots here and there.

As far as alternative spots that are reasonably close to Cookeville, you could check the Obey River below Dale Hollow. They've been generating fairly steadily but there have been a few small wading windows here and there. If the river is too high you can always fish the small creek below the hatchery. It usually holds a few fish, though I certainly wouldn't drive all the way up there just to fish the hatchery creek.

Pine Creek and Sink Creek near Smithville got stocked last week. Both are very nice streams that occasionally hold over fish, though we got so extremely hot last summer that I would be surprised if any made it through. Flynn's Lick Creek in Jackson County gets stocked next week, but I've never fished it.

The upper Calfkiller does get stocked with trout but won't get stocked until the last week in March.

The lake in Cane Creek Park right there in Cookeville got stocked in January, but fishing crowded city park ponds doesn't do much for me. If you just want to catch a few quick stockers to take home for dinner, you could probably get a few there with a rooster tail or powerbait.

One last place you might want to check out is the lake at Pickett State Park. It's up near Jamestown but that's only about an hour from Cookeville. It's a small lake, but it's a very scenic place and nothing like the park pond in Cookeville. If the park office is open, you can rent a canoe or small jon boat inexpensively. The lake gets stocked from February through August and I have caught some pretty decent sized rainbows out of it. It's a really neat little lake and I wish I got to fish it more. If you do fish there, please let me know how you do since I've been thinking about taking a trip up there myself some weekend soon.

bd

jad2t
03-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Ok so I was backwards on my thoughts of when the Calfkiller gets stocked! I've never actually caught trout in it but I have killed the white bass in there and caught smallmouth and largemouth. You can find access to it in Sparta.

Cane Creek lake is crowded, I should have mentioned that. And there's dog crap everywhere so watch out. When I was still living there I'd go there late afternoon sometimes to flyfish and always caught dozens of small bass and bluegill. It's fun but the crowd can get annoying when I'm trying to cast.

bd - There are more storms coming Friday night unfortunately so I dont think the generation will slow down. I'm planning to fish below the dam for stripers really early either saturday or sunday morning but the overnight low Saturday night will be down to freezing. I'm thinking that cold snap may slow the fishing down on Sunday morning so I'm leaning toward fishing Saturday morning since it won't get quite as cold the night before.