PDA

View Full Version : Nickajack 2-29-2012...I'm back!!

Alphahawk
02-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Was a few fish shy of a limit today...only 10...but had a nice Spot for a kicker. The pic is of the largest and smallest Crappie...all of the fish were at the 2 pound mark. It will just get better the next few weeks. All fish were caught on Bison colored Trout Magnet. Feels good to be productive again. All Crappie were between 13.5 inches and 14.5 inches...but these fish are very thick.

Regards

Travis C.
02-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Nice job...

Travis C.
02-28-2012, 07:51 PM
So were the fish a little tight lipped having to throw the TM?

We found the gills to be that way today. Usually I catch more on the black/chart CM but today had to downsize in same color.

Alphahawk
02-28-2012, 08:43 PM
So were the fish a little tight lipped having to throw the TM?

We found the gills to be that way today. Usually I catch more on the black/chart CM but today had to downsize in same color.
E

Everything was tight lipped today. No Gills at all. Talked to some boaters and they were not catching much either. Saw a boat throwing the TN Rig....also saw a boat throwing the Alabama Rig....not good.

Regards

chaseasl
02-29-2012, 10:01 AM
tasty mess of fish

Alphahawk
02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
tasty mess of fish

Yes...some of them will be cooked tonight..LOL

Jim
02-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Alphahawk,

Congrats on the beautiful fish and getting past the injury.

What kind of rod and reel do you use to cast the light line and trout/crappie magnets?

I have a short (5ft) ultralight that doesn't seem to cast anything very well and was thinking about replacing it with something more effective. Clearly what ever setup you use works great!

Jim

Alphahawk
02-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Alphahawk,

Congrats on the beautiful fish and getting past the injury.

What kind of rod and reel do you use to cast the light line and trout/crappie magnets?

I have a short (5ft) ultralight that doesn't seem to cast anything very well and was thinking about replacing it with something more effective. Clearly what ever setup you use works great!

Jim

Thanks for the comments Jim. I use a Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner for Crappie and Trout. I have a light version of that rod and an UL version of that rod...both of them are excellent. I also use a custom made 9 foot rod for Crappie and Trout. But I have to tell you I have found out that even though a rod is rated for a 1/64 ounce bait that really means nothing. The Feniwcks are rated for 1/32 but I can really cast the TM with them. The custom 9 footer is rated for a 1/64 ounce bait..and of course is longer...which should translate into further casting distance...but it does not. I have found that a rod that is not so whippy cast further....I am sure I might get some debate on this. But the Fenwicks have good backbone and I can cast a mile with them. I also have 2 rods made by ESP that are great for casting small baits.....but I have found out these rods have very cheap guides and will not buy another one of them...but even though it cost a lot to have them re-wrapped I love the action on them so much might do it anyway. It depends on how much money you want to spend. Trout Magnet sells a rod...in my opinion..that is the best made rod for the money at 29 bucks. It is 6.5 feet...2 piece and has great backbone. I have several of them and do use them depending on where I am fishing. If you have 84 bucks to spend on a rod I would get the Fenwick for light baits. It sells cheapest on amazon. If you are not wanting to spend that much money I would sure give the Trout Magnet Rods a look. My next rod...as soon as I can find a dealer I trust online that carries them is a Phenix Elixir...it is expensive but one sweet rod. As for a reel I use Shimano Stradic 1000 series and Pfluger Supreme XT's 25 series. They are expensive but you do get what you pay for. But IMHO if you go with Shimano or Pfluger in the cheaper reels you will still be OK. Academy Sports sells Trilene in a 2# and 3# if you are not confident in using 2# test line just yet.

Regards

Jim
02-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the response Alphahawk.

I will check out the Fenwick rods.

I put some 6lb nanofil line on my ultralight and it cast very well, but the fish definitely see it. Do you use a leader with the nanofil? I noticed that 2lb mono is the same size a 6lb nanofil. If you are using leaders, are you matching by diameter or line test?

Thanks for the info,
Jim

MNfisher
02-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Was a few fish shy of a limit today...only 10...but had a nice Spot for a kicker. The pic is of the largest and smallest Crappie...all of the fish were at the 2 pound mark. It will just get better the next few weeks. All fish were caught on Bison colored Trout Magnet. Feels good to be productive again. All Crappie were between 13.5 inches and 14.5 inches...but these fish are very thick.

Regards

Great catches Alphahawk! Now I have to get all jealous your slab papermouths for the next few months! Thanks alot! HA, nice work, your catches never seize to amaze me!

Travis C.
02-29-2012, 03:22 PM
I use 2lb (.16mm dia) line with a 7x (.14mm dia) 100% fluorocarbon leader for trout, bluegills and bite shy crappie.

For any other situations, I just use the 2lb line no leader. IF there is a good chance bigger fish around I'd bump it up to 4lb.

Alphahawk
02-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Travis has a good tip there. I don't know how many fish NanoFil but I have reels now spooled with 2#..3#...4#....6#....8#..and 10# test...LOL. I use a leader with all my NanoFil...and no it is not always with the same diameter line. I use the Surgeons knot but some people do not like that as they don't care for that knot going through the guides. I have never had on instance where that knot failed me. I use Phantom Fluorocarbon Leader...mostly 2# test for my Trout....Crappie and Bluegill. But that 2# test fluorocarbon leader I use is probably close to 3# breaking strength. But I will not fish for Crappie or Trout without that 2# test fluorocarbon leader. The other size NanoFil line I will use a 4#...6#....12# test P Line CX Premium. Just a word of note about NanoFil. I have used a spool of 2#..3# and 4# test for almost a full year. It floats... and also you had better check the first 20 to 30 feet after each fishing trip for abrasion and cut it away. But it is now my line of choice.

Regards