PDA

View Full Version : Oil change question

Dakota
02-25-2012, 05:34 PM
I have a 2007 Yamaha 115 4 stroke and getting read to change oil. Used to have someone else do this, but it seems easy enough to do myself. Which is easier, pump out the oil (i dont have a pump) or remove nut from up above the prop and let drain.
Dakota

tkwalker
02-27-2012, 08:29 PM
I have a 2007 Yamaha 115 4 stroke and getting read to change oil. Used to have someone else do this, but it seems easy enough to do myself. Which is easier, pump out the oil (i dont have a pump) or remove nut from up above the prop and let drain.
Dakota

Dakota .. the plug above the he prop is your lower unit gearbox fluid ... It has nothing to do with the power head crank case oil ... The crankcase drain is located in the back of the motor where the lower cowl and exhaust housing meet about 16 inches give or take above your prop ... I think you had better let someone else do it ... also it needs a filter .... Give me a call 615-347-8277 (www.oldoutboardbarn.com) <'TK>< :)

Dakota
02-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Whoops I just changed that my bad on the description.
QUOTE=tkwalker;19363]Dakota .. the plug above the he prop is your lower unit gearbox fluid ... It has nothing to do with the power head crank case oil ... The crankcase drain is located in the back of the motor where the lower cowl and exhaust housing meet about 16 inches give or take above your prop ... I think you had better let someone else do it ... also it needs a filter .... Give me a call 615-347-8277 (www.oldoutboardbarn.com) <'TK>< :) [/QUOTE]

tkwalker
02-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Dakota, if you are servicing the lower unit it is easy to drain from the lower drain plug. Remove the vent plug above it ... Best to purchase a pump from walmart ... and fill the lower unit from the bottom forcing the air out of the upper vent hole ... Cap off the vent when full and the remove the lower pump .. The amount of fluid that you will lose in the process should be marginal ... Hope this helps .... <'TK>< :)

Dakota
02-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks tk appreciate it!