PDA

View Full Version : High water in the Caney

jad2t
02-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Well I know we all hoped for some wading windows starting in March but with the water level at 628 right now above the dam, that doesn't look probable. Most likey, we'll see constant generation continue for the next couple weeks at least.

I'm planning to make a few efforts below the dam for bigger trout or maybe one of those rock bass I plan to catch this year. Has anyone been fishing the high water around the dam lately and had any luck? I'm most likely going to give it a try next weekend, I'll be sure to report back how it went.

GO-OKFISHIN
02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
There seems to be a lot of fish up by the dam now but it is like riding a mechanical bull if you are in a boat.

bd-
02-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Be careful if you go up there while they have the sluice wide open. It gets very rough in the area below the dam. I've seen people get overturned. The sluice churns the water and creates far more turbulence than normal generation.

bd

txnative
02-24-2012, 04:16 PM
TVA's site is showing 3500 cfs during 1 generator periods and 7100 cfs when they are running two. In previous years, those flows equated to generators only, so I am wondering if they've shut off the sluice's high flows. If anyone has any recent info, I'd appreciate it.

Chris

bd-
02-24-2012, 04:27 PM
They are doing maintenance work on one of the units. The generators have been on and off as a result. When the generators are off, they've been keeping the sluice wide open - sometimes both gates, sometimes just one. When the generators are on, the sluice is off.

They've been running the generator closest to the bank when they've been running one gen. Honestly I think the tailrace fishes better when the other gen is the one running for some reason.

bd

Travis C.
02-24-2012, 04:32 PM
TVA's site is showing 3500 cfs during 1 generator periods and 7100 cfs when they are running two. In previous years, those flows equated to generators only, so I am wondering if they've shut off the sluice's high flows. If anyone has any recent info, I'd appreciate it.

Chris

You can see where its coming from here Chris

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/hh/resplots/cen_a.html

txnative
02-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks, Travis. If I'm reading it right, the total output is from the turbines...good news for me.

Chris

FOXZILLA
02-24-2012, 10:47 PM
I'll be fishing the Caney Sunday afternoon if I can get a 1 generator window. I've never fished the high water before this year but with each trip, I get more and more comfortable. In order to slow my drift, I drag a chain that breaks free easily, (I'll describe that set up if needed). She is a much more different and dangerous river with the water up but the fish seem to be easier to locate since they can't be spread out over the entire width of the river. If anyone else plans to go out Sunday, let me know so I can meet yall.
Donnie

GO-OKFISHIN
02-25-2012, 11:36 AM
They are doing maintenance work on one of the units. The generators have been on and off as a result. When the generators are off, they've been keeping the sluice wide open - sometimes both gates, sometimes just one. When the generators are on, the sluice is off.

They've been running the generator closest to the bank when they've been running one gen. Honestly I think the tailrace fishes better when the other gen is the one running for some reason.

bd

I agree. They were running 3500 when we were there, then dropped back to 1500 all from the sluice. It was still rough up by the dam. Fish were in there. Wish we would have stayed at the dam the entire time. Downriver was tough. The lightning made us run back up to the dam and we finally got them dialed in. The lightning came back so we quit. Couldn't even load the boat because of the lightning.