PDA

View Full Version : TARP Program

chaseasl
02-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Anybody else turn fish in to this. I have turned 2 fish in to it and really like it.

bd-
02-21-2012, 11:22 AM
I have a TARP smallmouth, rock bass, brown trout, and striper. I just need a fifth species to bump all the way up to the Master Angler Level II category. :)

I am holding out for a 34"-plus carp on the flyrod for my fifth TARP fish. :D

bd

Travis C.
02-21-2012, 11:24 AM
How does it work? I know general info but if you caught one what happens?

Maybe that is a goal for me this year to get one or a few... hmm.

Travis C.
02-21-2012, 11:24 AM
I have a TARP smallmouth, rock bass, brown trout, and striper. I just need a fifth species to bump all the way up to the Master Angler Level II category. :)

I am holding out for a 34"-plus carp on the flyrod for my fifth TARP fish. :D

bd

Are all yours on the fly bd?

nofish
02-21-2012, 12:05 PM
i was just reading about this today. it sounds like fun. it's kinda like always being in your own tournament.

i was reading the thread in here about oh lake records and i was reading the state records today. there's a few of them that wouldn't be to hard to beat and i think that's because most people don't know the records and when they've caught something special. i'm not to proud to take a 10lb plus drum for a record and i know alot of people including me have caught them over 9lbs.

chaseasl
02-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Travis, look on twra's site for anglers, there is a list of species that they recognize and if you cach one fill the the form out with either a pic of it being measured or a witnesses signature. It does cost five dollars but there are incentives for catching multiple species that qualify. I've caught a smallmouth and a drum so far.

Travis C.
02-21-2012, 12:27 PM
I did and saved the info to my computer, Thanks.

This may be how I decorate on the walls in my garage intead of looking for other things. I am not meaning it will be easy as going to the store for milk but should be a fun challenge and worth the $5.

Plus, they will look good along side my other photos of fish caught over the years in there.

Travis C.
02-21-2012, 12:50 PM
There are a few that seem pretty easily reached. The number one being a brook trout since I am sure that was intended for native brookies and they stock them around that size in tailwaters.

Oh well either way...it would be a start. :D

Man, I'd love to get ahold of that rainbow one. I had one a couple inches shy a few years ago on the Caney and it was a brawl to land on light line.

jad2t
02-21-2012, 01:24 PM
I caught a largemouth bass a few years ago that would have qualified but knew nothing about this program. Oh well, there's always this year!

chaseasl
02-21-2012, 01:33 PM
There are a few that seem pretty easily reached. The number one being a brook trout since I am sure that was intended for native brookies and they stock them around that size in tailwaters.

Oh well either way...it would be a start. :D

Man, I'd love to get ahold of that rainbow one. I had one a couple inches shy a few years ago on the Caney and it was a brawl to land on light line.

The trout and musky will be my hardest to get since I live on the other end of the state from where they swim.

Travis C.
02-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Came upon this photo in the archives for TARP fish photo's.

It is a 34.5" Rainbow caught by Andrew Peiffer.

Where in creation was this pig caught. I had heard one time Caney had 30"ers but never actually seen one. This fish I doubt came from there. It must be a lake run from east Tn.

http://www.tn.gov/twra/fish/tarp/imagearchive07/mb_peiffer_l.jpg

Reel Tune
02-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Sarah had a bluegill last year, and I had a crappie. I also have a Smallmouth from a couple weeks ago that I need to submit that I forgot about until you guys just brought up the topic. I would like to hit 5 species this year.

bd-
02-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Are all yours on the fly bd?

That would be really cool, but unfortunately no. In fact, now that I think about it, only the brown trout was on a fly. The smallmouth and the striper were both on live bait, and the rock bass was on a slider worm. I have had two other smallies since then that would qualify for TARP (one on a live crawfish and one on a fly), but like I said, I've been holding out for the five-different-species thing.

I never noticed that the brook trout qualifies at 10". Yeah, that's pretty cheesy. I had a 13 incher last Saturday. I guess I should have taken a picture. They should break that down into a "wild" and "stocked" category and raise the stocked brookie TARP qualifier to 15 inches.

creeksmallie
02-21-2012, 10:47 PM
bd I looked at some photos from years ago, the other day. The snapping turtle was a record. It consumed many tarp fish. I believe he is still haunting those waters. LOL

bd-
02-21-2012, 11:05 PM
I need to see if I can get a certificate from the Turtle Angler Recognition Program. :)

bd

FOXZILLA
02-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Fill me in... what is the TARP program? Sounds interesting. Not bragging, well maybe I am, but I caught a 34" bow in the Congo bottom area of the Caney in the late '80s while skipping school.

Alphahawk
02-21-2012, 11:40 PM
My son wants to put in for those this year. I have caught 14 on the list that would qualify and expect to do the same this year also. bd...I can put you on the Carp in July or August...I assume you would be using a fly rod...if you use a Streamer you can get one a whole lot bigger than the 34 inches...now what you are going to do with it after you hook that beast is up to you...but better have a lot of patience.....LOL

Regards

Reel Tune
02-22-2012, 11:11 AM
I need to see if I can get a certificate from the Turtle Angler Recognition Program. :)

bd

I think you will have to contact the turtle man for one of those certificates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn8EQ0azXpQ

Reel Tune
02-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Fill me in... what is the TARP program? Sounds interesting. Not bragging, well maybe I am, but I caught a 34" bow in the Congo bottom area of the Caney in the late '80s while skipping school.

Follow this link http://www.tn.gov/twra/fish/tarp/tarp.html. There is a list of species, and minium length requirements for each species. You catch the fish on rod and reel, then take a picture of it on a measuring device and fill out a form and put that form and $5 in an envelope and they mail you back a certificate with your name and species on the certificate. Then they put your name on the list with the info. This way you can be recognized for a great catch and not have to kill the fish to show your buddies, or hang in the garage, or your trophy room.

Jeremy

bd-
02-22-2012, 11:54 AM
I assume you would be using a fly rod...if you use a Streamer you can get one a whole lot bigger than the 34 inches...now what you are going to do with it after you hook that beast is up to you...but better have a lot of patience.....LOL

The tough part about carp is that seeing them and catching them are two entirely different things. It is more difficult than you would ever believe to get one to eat a fly. People laugh about carp fishing but it can be very demanding.

If you know a summer spot where fish that size hang out (common carp, not buffalo), I'd definitely be interested in having a look. That said, my experience has been that unless they are up on a shallow flat feeding where you can see them and put a fly right on their nose, it is very hard to get a hookup.

bd

Travis C.
02-22-2012, 12:22 PM
If you know a summer spot where fish that size hang out (common carp, not buffalo), I'd definitely be interested in having a look.

bd

Hey no freebie's for July.

Alpha charge him. :D

bd-
02-22-2012, 12:55 PM
He can show you too. You still have to catch them. :)

bd

Travis C.
02-22-2012, 05:09 PM
He can show you too. You still have to catch them. :)

bd

I will figure it out... ;)

Hopefully by July.

baxterboy
02-27-2012, 08:51 AM
I have earned 3 TARP's.

1. Rock Bass on a guided trip with Mike Dial in a stream.
2. Smallmouth in the Cumberland River.
3. White Crappie on JPP.

Like BD, I'm hoping to hit the Master Angler, but I need 2 more species. I had a TARP channel cat several years ago but I didn't have a witness or measuring tape so I didn't send it in.

I think it's a great program and the photos are nice garage decor. Mrs. baxterboy wouldn't allow me to hang them in the bonus room.

Fish Whisperer
02-27-2012, 06:12 PM
@ BD and Travis, the most carp I've ever seen have been around the Harpeth and Cumberland confluence and that area near Cheatham Dam... I saw some guys filming a bowhunt close to Cheatham Dam while camping down there..

bd-
02-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Nearly all the fish I've seen at the Harpeth/Cumberland confluence are buffalo and not common carp.

As far as the Fly South carp tournament goes, the buffalo count too so that's not an issue, but for the TARP it has to be a common carp.

Either way, the fish I've seen at the confluence of the Harpeth and Cumberland and close to most of the tailwater areas tend to be milling around near the surface sunning themselves. They aren't actively feeding fish - they can still be shot with a bow, I guess, but they're not really catchable with a fly or lure.

To catch a carp or buffalo on hook and line, you pretty much have to find fish that are actively feeding and put a fly or bait in front of them.

bd

SAMBOLIE
02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Is there a category for gar ?

bd-
02-27-2012, 10:53 PM
No, but there are TARP categories for carp (34 inches) and freshwater drum (28 inches).

bd

Alphahawk
02-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Nearly all the fish I've seen at the Harpeth/Cumberland confluence are buffalo and not common carp.

As far as the Fly South carp tournament goes, the buffalo count too so that's not an issue, but for the TARP it has to be a common carp.

Either way, the fish I've seen at the confluence of the Harpeth and Cumberland and close to most of the tailwater areas tend to be milling around near the surface sunning themselves. They aren't actively feeding fish - they can still be shot with a bow, I guess, but they're not really catchable with a fly or lure.

To catch a carp or buffalo on hook and line, you pretty much have to find fish that are actively feeding and put a fly or bait in front of them.

bd

Very few realize how hard it can be to get a Carp to hit.

Regards

bd-
02-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Very few realize how hard it can be to get a Carp to hit.

Yes indeed. As I mentioned above, one of the fly fishing shops in town holds a carp tournament every year in July. People laugh until they try to catch one on a flyrod - then they get a little more humble about it.

bd

TNtransplant08
02-28-2012, 06:42 AM
BD,

I may speaking a foregin (spelling?) language, so if I make no sense, I apologize :D but are there any flies that look like corn? If so, might be worth a try? I remember when I was a kid growing up, I'd buy a can of corn at the store, throw a bunch of kernals on the hook. It was like candy to them!

txnative
02-28-2012, 07:11 AM
TNtransplant

Try a sz 8 yellow glo bug. I used them in a creek with great success. I would also soak the flies in the water from a can o' corn as an added incentive.

Chris

TNtransplant08
02-28-2012, 07:54 AM
I actually don't fly fish, though sometimes I think about taking it up. It was just a thought since I caught big carp using corn

bd-
02-28-2012, 09:34 AM
BD,

I may speaking a foregin (spelling?) language, so if I make no sense, I apologize :D but are there any flies that look like corn? If so, might be worth a try? I remember when I was a kid growing up, I'd buy a can of corn at the store, throw a bunch of kernals on the hook. It was like candy to them!

There is actually a "corn cluster" fly that is commercially sold - it looks like this:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yagers_2195_39837063

Some people will toss out some corn, chum the fish in, and then cast a fly like this into the middle of the corn pile for the carp to take.

There's not much skill involved in chumming the fish in like that though - it's kind of an beginner's way to fly fish in my opinion. If someone has never caught a carp on the fly and wants to see what it's like, it's a quick way to get an intro to it, but really you might as well just put the corn on the hook and fish with bait. Pretty much the whole point of fly fishing for me is the challenge - it would be sort of like deciding to bowhunt with a traditional longbow and then doing it over a bait pile. If I'm going to get a TARP carp on the fly like I'm after, I'm satisfied to do it the "real" way without the corn. :)

bd

Travis C.
02-28-2012, 11:15 AM
I used to fish for them with minnows on golf course lake behind where I grew up. There were some as big as 25-30lbs in those lakes. I'd use tuffies and a hook then sit while they came up the bank beside me. You would have to pitch the minnow out ahead then once the carp was close if he didn't see it immediately twitch it a little.

Trying to catch them on a flyrod seems like a challenge which is why it interests me and that is just getting the fly to them let alone after its hooked.

txnative
02-28-2012, 11:50 AM
The challenge of actually hooking old' rubberlips is my favorite part, also. It's totally visual, and twice as nerve-wrecking as it is fun. I don't lose many carp once I've got a hook in them, but I usually let them wear themselves out on a lighter drag setting. I've never had a problem releasing a carp, they've always swam off fine, even after a long fight.

The light drag setting has cost me, though. I was in my kayak on priest looking for white bass and found some big carp feeding in a flat. First cast put me on a big, big carp. He smoked my 5 wt reel and before I could get in chase-mode, I was out of backing and pop went the tippet.

Chris

bd-
02-28-2012, 01:21 PM
I generally use 2x or 3x tippet on an 8wt rod and I keep the drag pretty tight. I want to be able to bring a whole lot of pressure to bear on them.

If you give a big one a light drag, he will run into heavy brush and you will lose him almost every time.

bd

chaseasl
02-28-2012, 01:56 PM
I use to catch grass carp in a pond I had access to by putting grasshoppers on a hook with no weight, wait till one was swimming along the bank and flip it out, had a blast doing that

txnative
02-28-2012, 03:14 PM
I target carp feeding on flats near deeper water and have been lucky with almost all my fish running to their deep sanctuary. All this talk of carp on the fly is making me carp-y. I believe I may have a species that'll distract from stripey fish now, lol.

Chris

Travis C.
02-28-2012, 03:18 PM
How early in the year do you target them on the fly?

I know summer is obvious but how soon do they get up on the mud flats?

bd-
02-28-2012, 03:30 PM
They spawn around March or April once the water gets warm enough, and they tend to stay on the flats after they're done spawning. I tend to see the biggest fish of the year on the flats between the spawn and June. Once it gets really hot, only the smaller fish (5 lb and under) seem to stay up all day. Occasionally I'll see a big fish on the flats near daylight, but the bigger double digit fish seem to move deeper as soon as the sun gets up in the summer. Unless it's cloudy, the best fishing in the hottest part of the summer is usually from daylight until about 11:00, and then it's over.

I know Gil Lackey does well on the Cumberland River fish (mostly big buffalo rather than common carp) throughout the day, but he and I seem to have very different fishing styles. We were talking last year during the carp tournament, and we almost seem to look for exact opposite conditions when we're fishing.

bd

txnative
02-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Most of my carp are a happy accident. Im usually after other fish and will make a quick detour if I spot carp and have my flyrod with me. I always bring my carp flies just in case, but I seldom make a carp-specific trip. It's a little tricky to stand and cast from my kayak, and spotting feeding carp from a sitting position is tough unless they're tailing or throwing up mud plumes. I will make a trip or two this year with only a flyrod and carp flies on the yak, though. If I dump, I only have to worry about the rod since the flies fit in my pfd's pockets.

Chris