PDA

View Full Version : Tilt/trim guage problem

agelesssone
02-19-2012, 11:42 AM
My tilt/trim guage just malfunctioned a couple of days ago. It now pegs itself to the bottom of the guage when I turn on power to the dash. When I turn off the power, it shows the proper (or at least it shows the motor in a slightly raised) position.

It stays pegged to the bottom of the guage as long as the power is on, regardless of the motor position, whether that is full up or full down or any position in between.

Nothing was changed or disconnected lately on the electrics of the boat.

Any suggestions on fixing this problem?

tkwalker
02-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Most of the time it is the trim gauge itself that is at fault ... These are not that expensive usually around $30 ... The second possibility, is the sending unit that is attached to your T/T unit. ... <'TK>< :)

agelesssone
02-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks TK. It is the tilt/trim switch at the lower unit.

I called Steve Eakes, (Boatmasters Marine,4550 Woodbury Pike
Murfreesboro, TN 37127-7585). PHONE (615) 895-1928

He rebuilt my 150 HP Johnson last summer when it fried. He had me do a simple check to see if it was the guage or the switch. All I did was decouple the wiring connector under the cowl, jump across the two sockets. If the needle in the guage jumps, then it is the switch at the lower unit. And that is exactly what happened when I jumped the contacts, the needle on the dash guage jumped up so it looks like I need a new T/T switch, about $72.00.

Thanks though. You jogged my memory into calling Steve.

Anyone needing boat or motor repairs, Steve is waaaay cheaper than taking it to a dealer and faster too. He owns his own shop and has been doing this stuff for thirty years. There isn't much he can't do.

tkwalker
02-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks TK. It is the tilt/trim switch at the lower unit.

I called Steve Eakes, (Boatmasters Marine,4550 Woodbury Pike
Murfreesboro, TN 37127-7585). PHONE (615) 895-1928

He rebuilt my 150 HP Johnson last summer when it fried. He had me do a simple check to see if it was the guage or the switch. All I did was decouple the wiring connector under the cowl, jump across the two sockets. If the needle in the guage jumps, then it is the switch at the lower unit. And that is exactly what happened when I jumped the contacts, the needle on the dash guage jumped up so it looks like I need a new T/T switch, about $72.00.

Thanks though. You jogged my memory into calling Steve.

Anyone needing boat or motor repairs, Steve is waaaay cheaper than taking it to a dealer and faster too. He owns his own shop and has been doing this stuff for thirty years. There isn't much he can't do.

MERVE, Uh, lets see... you had a problem, I answered your question so you are hawking another non dealer repair person on my site ?? (like myself) ... I must have done something wrong with my Oldoutboardbarn banner ??? ... <'TK>< :confused:

agelesssone
02-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Darn, TK, I apologize for that gaffe! I didn't realize when I read your comment that you were the one with the Oldoutboardbarn banner.

If I had ever used your services, I would have "hawked" you. Would you like to replace my T/T switch? If so, shoot me a price for replacement parts and labor. 1990 Johnson 150 HP GT.

tkwalker
02-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Darn, TK, I apologize for that gaffe! I didn't realize when I read your comment that you were the one with the Oldoutboardbarn banner.

If I had ever used your services, I would have "hawked" you. Would you like to replace my T/T switch? If so, shoot me a price for replacement parts and labor. 1990 Johnson 150 HP GT.

No man ... No problem here ... At the presnt I have my hands full .... <'TK>< :)