PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Sonar Unit

Reel Tune
02-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Choosing a Sonar Unit

I’ve been using Humminbird for the past 2 years my previous unit was a 383C. It was a good unit, did what I needed it to do, and was a good tool to learn on. We’ll I sold this unit only because I had a buddy that needed one so made him a deal, and he jumped on it. I also wanted a reason to buy a little nicer unit.

We’ll I’ve been without a unit for over a month now, and feel naked on the water. I can no longer see any structure, or baitfish below the surface unless I’m in very shallow waters or crystal clear waters.

I think I’m going to go with Lowrance this time and know I want a larger screen than the 383, I know I want GPS, color screen, and card acceptable. I’ve herd the maps on the Lowrance, detail, and clarity were better than the competitors.

I fish all kinds of waters from large to small lakes to the Gulf, and intercostal waters, big rivers, small rivers, basically any kind of water or species I’ll target it.

I’m debating on the Lowrance HDS 5 or 7 Gen 2. The 7 would be because of the larger screen and possibly more detail, or easier to read. I wouldn’t be utilizing the StructureScan module, the antenna, or the Radar, but I would be using some maps like the Fishing Hot Spots Pro, Navionics, and I know they have INSIGHT HD, and INSIGHT PRO, but don’t know much about them. The Elite 5 DSI's don't look like a bad unit either for about 1/2 the price.

If anyone could give me their honest opinions about these units especially if you have hands on experience with them that would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has these units in the area I would be willing to pay for gas, food, and drinks for the day for some hands on experience.

I do plan to go to BPS and get more hands on, but it is much different using simulator mode, and actually using it on the water.

Thanks, Jeremy

Travis C.
02-16-2012, 04:00 PM
I’m debating on the Lowrance HDS 5 or 7 Gen 2. The 7 would be because of the larger screen and possibly more detail, or easier to read. I wouldn’t be utilizing the StructureScan module, the antenna, or the Radar, but I would be using some maps like the Fishing Hot Spots Pro, Navionics, and I know they have INSIGHT HD, and INSIGHT PRO, but don’t know much about them. The Elite 5 DSI's don't look like a bad unit either for about 1/2 the price.

Thanks, Jeremy

Unless things have changed since I sold them on the mapping, if you were able to go with a HDS 7 with Insight then it would cover nationwide & coastal. The HDS 5 with Insight is just nationwide mapping.

The Insight in coastal waters shows contours as well as fishing spots like wrecks and what not. I am sure it is better that Hotspots but that is where it originated from then evolved from that mapping system. If you are familliar with Hotspots then you'll have an idea of what it shows. Navionics is a straight topo and the distance between contours is closer than the others software at something like 1ft intervals.

I don't know your price range but with what all you want in the mapping factor that into the price of the units and see how much difference you are from that HDS 7.

As far as whether it is superior to the Hummingbird or the big touch screen Garmin that is up to who has it and who you're asking. Once you get up in that class they are all good and one won't let the other get too far ahead without catching up.

Travis C.
02-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Maybe this will help some

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/317662-lowrance-dsi-first-impressions.html

Also on having the HDS 7 for a bigger screen its not a whole lot bigger. My biggest complaint on the "7" was it wasn't a 7 inch screen. Its not even 6 1/2 inches.

All the sub-series of the HDS unit with DSI weren't around when I sold them. They had just come out with HDS and I left around the time Structure Scan arrived. The Elites look like good units. The HDS units should be stronger providing better pictures of the bottom but it's totally a preference and $$ deal.

I played with them every day and loked them but always said for my style of fishing the only way I fork over that much is if fishing pays my bills. Then it becomes a "have-to" for the boat. But until that day there are several that are extremely capable to do what I need.

Reel Tune
02-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the replies Travis.

I've read a lot on the Navionics, and Hot Maps, but have never used either of the two. The jump in price from the 5 to the 7 is pretty significant, and I'll never be more than an arms length away unless I'm standing on the rear deck of the Pro Angler.

I've herd that the Navionics is difficult to read unless you are using a 10" screen, but I don't know what the people's eyesight is that is claiming that, and I'm not that old yet.

I know a few guys that have the Elite 4 and Elite 5 w/DSI, and they really like them, but wondering if HDS is worth the jump since I have never used it and don't know anyone who uses it.

These units are not have-to's as much is it's an "I'm going to, or want". Fishing does not pay the bills, and I never plan on making money off of it, it's just a passion, and something I really enjoy.

I agree they are probably over kill, and more advanced than I am, but it's something I can learn and grow with. I felt like I out grew my Humminbird, and wasn't pleased with the graphics.

I think Garmin, Humminbird, and Lowrance are all in it together they all know what others are going and kinda plan ahead saying you do this and you do that so they all have their niche. (Just a conspiracy theory of mine).

I was just hoping someone with un unbiased opinion had some hands on experience with these particular units. Thanks for all your help Travis, and thanks for the link.

Jeremy

Travis C.
02-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the replies Travis.

I've read a lot on the Navionics, and Hot Maps, but have never used either of the two. The jump in price from the 5 to the 7 is pretty significant, and I'll never be more than an arms length away unless I'm standing on the rear deck of the Pro Angler.

I've herd that the Navionics is difficult to read unless you are using a 10" screen, but I don't know what the people's eyesight is that is claiming that, and I'm not that old yet.

Jeremy

Sorry, I am not much help for on water application for these. I have just sold them at Bass Pro. The one on my boat is actually a Hummingbird. I am thinking about giving a Lowrance a try next just simply because Hummingbird is all I have ever known.

My guess at the reason Navi chips are harder to read is because there are so many contour lines. Double edged sword. You get more to look at because of it. Kind of like reading a paragraph on notebook paper as opposed to the kindergarden tablet. I liked both really one was better for navigation but the Navi was better for drops/ledges. Navionics only marked channels with a red line while Hot Maps/Insight shaded it a darker color.

You may be onto something with the conspiracy. I remember when LEI came out with the Structure scan, all the colors and down shot. Heck it wasn't a month and Hummingbird rep shows up and says we have an upgrade for the 1197, 997's SI units to have a full color pallet like the HDS. Until then everyone oooh and ahhhed at how much better the HDS looked than the Hummingbird side scans.

Hopefully I was able to give you a couple useful things in all this mess. LOL.

Reel Tune
02-18-2012, 09:19 AM
You have been a big help Travis, thank you.

I think since I wont be using the Side Scan than I wouldn't be able to utilize the HDS Unit to it's maximum capacity. So I think the Elite 5 DSI will be my best bet, but if I were going to use Structure Scan, and the HDS 2 I would need another module which would be another $500 on top of the unit then I would be pushing close to the price of a kayak 2K+. If I went with the HDS GEN2 I would have to go with the 7 Series because I think the 5 Series Screen would be to small for all the options with the side scan.

So Elite 5 DSI it is I think...

Jeremy

Travis C.
02-18-2012, 09:59 AM
No problem.

Since its going on the yak, I just realized the transducer size. An HDS unit's is about the size of a hockey stick blade and thick. At least the Gen 1 units were. The Elites look really compact and slim by the pictures.

Don't know how your mounting or if it will be an issue.

Reel Tune
02-20-2012, 10:55 AM
I'll be mounting it directly in the water wether it be with the Liberator like I used to have one mounted, or utilizing the Gear Teack by Yak Attack with a RAM deployment arm, and Yak Attack Dog Bone, or I may go with plummers putty, and put it in the scupper hole.

I went by BPS last night and think I will go with the Elite 5 DSI, because without the Structure Scan module for the HDS GEN 2 Units the Elite 5 DSI is just as good, and has more features that I would use. I wish they made an Elite 7 DSI, now that would be sweet.