PDA

View Full Version : getting my first boat...

TNtransplant08
02-14-2012, 09:19 PM
I will be acquiring my first boat this spring. My wife's god father is selling his old 12' Mirrocraft. As of right now it just has a trolling motor on it, but plan on eventually purchasing a used 8 HP motor for it. What are the laws in TN as far as registrating the boat and where? Any general boating advice? I was going to get a kayak but my wife said she wants to be able to come along. So I can't complain with that!

white95v6
02-14-2012, 10:55 PM
anything that has a motor/engine has to be registered. go to tag place in the county you live in.

also for boating laws wal-mart sometimes has the booklet if not check out twra's web-site.

tkwalker
02-15-2012, 03:11 AM
I will be acquiring my first boat this spring. My wife's god father is selling his old 12' Aircraft. As of right now it just has a tolling motor on it, but plan on eventually purchasing a used 8 HP motor for it. What are the laws in TN as far as registrating the boat and where? Any general boating advice? I was going to get a kayak but my wife said she wants to be able to come along. So I can't complain with that!

TNTRANSP .... Every County in the State are a little different on the way they collect taxes .... They are are the bad guys because none of them are consistent ... I have been been doing business with them for decades ... TWRA makes their money off of the Regs of the boat ...

Please call me about the does and don't on Bill of sales for boats and what will pass their Antiquated Software on vintage boats ... or any boats ... (boats in Tennessee are not required to have titles)

This is for anyone ... call me <'TK>< ...615-347-8277

white95v6
02-15-2012, 08:18 AM
yes TK is right. i remember the little bit of hassle we went through trying to get our boat done.

some counties require you to have the bill of sale notarized. and some do not.

soo like tk said call him. or your county clerk.

TNtransplant08
02-17-2012, 01:51 PM
TNTRANSP .... Every County in the State are a little different on the way they collect taxes .... They are are the bad guys because none of them are consistent ... I have been been doing business with them for decades ... TWRA makes their money off of the Regs of the boat ...

Please call me about the does and don't on Bill of sales for boats and what will pass their Antiquated Software on vintage boats ... or any boats ... (boats in Tennessee are not required to have titles)

This is for anyone ... call me <'TK>< ...615-347-8277

TK, thanks for your reply. I haven't called you because I'm deaf and it can sometimes be difficult for me to speak on the phone, especially with someone I've never spoken with before.

I live in Rutherford county, so I went to the county clerk's office in Smyrna to get some info on their requirements. They said that they do indeed require a notarized bill of sale. The problem for me is that the person I'm purchasing the boat from is in Wisconsin. He is bringing the boat down in the beginning of March while he is passing through on his way to visit his son in South Carolina. He will be coming through on a weekend, so obviously, the county clerk's office isn't open on those days. Is there anyone else that we can go to in order to get the bill of sale notarized?

Also, once I get all of this straightened out, can I take the application for the boat registration to a twra office and get the registration office? If not, how long does it typically take to arrive in the mail? The reason why I asked is because my parents are coming down for a visit in the middle of March, and I'd like to have the boat available if possible.

Thanks,
Jamie

bd-
02-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Is there anyone else that we can go to in order to get the bill of sale notarized?

Most of the time, a bank will have a notary. If you have a bank account somewhere and you ask nicely, I bet you can get them to notarize it for you. That's assuming your bank has Saturday hours.

bd

TNtransplant08
02-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Most of the time, a bank will have a notary. If you have a bank account somewhere and you ask nicely, I bet you can get them to notarize it for you. That's assuming your bank has Saturday hours.

bd

Uh, thanks BD, I didn't think of that! I'll check it out.

Travis C.
02-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Most UPS stores have the ability to notarize something and are open on the weekend.

If you have one close to you check with them.

Travis C.
02-20-2012, 06:49 PM
congrats on the boat by the way...

FOXZILLA
02-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Hey transplant,
My wife is a notary. Just PM if you need her help over the weekend. We live in Lebanon so it wouldn't be far out of the way to run up here to get it done.

SAMBOLIE
02-20-2012, 10:08 PM
TK, thanks for your reply. I haven't called you because I'm deaf and it can sometimes be difficult for me to speak on the phone, especially with someone I've never spoken with before.

I live in Rutherford county, so I went to the county clerk's office in Smyrna to get some info on their requirements. They said that they do indeed require a notarized bill of sale. The problem for me is that the person I'm purchasing the boat from is in Wisconsin. He is bringing the boat down in the beginning of March while he is passing through on his way to visit his son in South Carolina. He will be coming through on a weekend, so obviously, the county clerk's office isn't open on those days. Is there anyone else that we can go to in order to get the bill of sale notarized?

Also, once I get all of this straightened out, can I take the application for the boat registration to a twra office and get the registration office? If not, how long does it typically take to arrive in the mail? The reason why I asked is because my parents are coming down for a visit in the middle of March, and I'd like to have the boat available if possible.

Thanks,
Jamie
I registered my boat at the TWRA office in Ellington Center (south Nashville). If I remember correctly the paperwork that you get when you pay taxes is sufficient until TWRA sends your registration.

TNtransplant08
02-21-2012, 08:40 AM
congrats on the boat by the way...

Thanks Travis! I'm looking forward to getting off the bank and exploring new water and learn new fishing techniques. My first mission will be to learn how to find ledges, points, and other structure and learn how to fish them. I'll have to save up for a fish sonar. The one I have right now is a hand me down from my stepdad. Its an old portable one from the 80's. So its definitely behind in technology, but it will do for now for seeing the bottom contour.

I'll look into the UPS as well for notarizing the bill of sale.

Thanks!,
Jamie

TNtransplant08
02-21-2012, 08:43 AM
I registered my boat at the TWRA office in Ellington Center (south Nashville). If I remember correctly the paperwork that you get when you pay taxes is sufficient until TWRA sends your registration.

I was thinking the same thing. I work at the Ellington Center, so it would be easy for me to swing by the TWRA office and drop off my registration. Thats why I was wondering if it would possibly speed up the process. When I looked closer to my application, it noted that you tear off the yellow carbon copy and keep that in your boat until you get the registration. I'm assuming that means I can use the boat as long as I have that proof with me that I sent in for a registration.

TNtransplant08
02-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Hey transplant,
My wife is a notary. Just PM if you need her help over the weekend. We live in Lebanon so it wouldn't be far out of the way to run up here to get it done.

I'll keep that in mind if all else fails. Thanks for offering.

SAMBOLIE
02-21-2012, 09:42 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I work at the Ellington Center, so it would be easy for me to swing by the TWRA office and drop off my registration. Thats why I was wondering if it would possibly speed up the process. When I looked closer to my application, it noted that you tear off the yellow carbon copy and keep that in your boat until you get the registration. I'm assuming that means I can use the boat as long as I have that proof with me that I sent in for a registration.

They will process in less than 30 minutes.
BTW, I did not have to have the Bill of Sale notarized when I went to the Davidson Cty clerks office to record the sale. That may vary with buying from out of state.

tkwalker
02-21-2012, 11:57 AM

Thanks,
Jamie

Jamie, the seller can have the bill of sale notarized at anytime before he leaves home ... His name is what is being notarized not the document ... The document can even be blank ... I have 5 blank bill of sales notarized at a time at my bank .. Now remember this is kind of like signing a blank check so keep them under lock and key... The Doucument is not the notary's business he or she is just certifying (the seller's signature) is who he is ... <'TK>< :)

TNtransplant08
02-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Jamie, the seller can have the bill of sale notarized at anytime before he leaves home ... His name is what is being notarized not the document ... The document can even be blank ... I have 5 blank bill of sales notarized at a time at my bank .. Now remember this is kind of like signing a blank check so keep them under lock and key... The Doucument is not the notary's business he or she is just certifying (the seller's signature) is who he is ... <'TK>< :)

Thanks TK, that clears things up. I orginialy thought that both parties had to be present for the notary. Makes things a whole lot easier!