PDA

View Full Version : fishfinder/chartplotter question

white95v6
02-14-2012, 05:01 PM
ok i have never used a fishfinder at all.

i am looking at a lorance elite 4x dsi and a elite-4 dsi/chartplotter.

for someone that fishes the lakes and rivers of middle tn 98% of the times. and maybe 3-4 times a yr goes to floridia and fishes the coastal rivers and some near shore fishing.

what do you think is better and is a chartplotter worth the extra cost?

Travis C.
02-14-2012, 06:26 PM
I suggest if you are able to go and play with several models down at Bass Pro. They are getting ready in a couple weeks to have their Spring Fishing Classic which will have pretty good deals on a lot of things.

Without getting into specifics and confusing you I would say this: When buying electronics for your boat you should get the best your budget will allow. It is one of the most important pieces of equipment on it and something that you don't want to upgrade yearly or even every 2 years.

That will be different for everyone as everybody's budget is no the same but if I had to give you advice on it that would be it.

Also, won't hurt to make a list of important things that you want out of it prior to buying or checking them out. Since your new a good thing to look for in addtion to other needs is a model with a menu system thats not too confusing or hard to navigate.

white95v6
02-14-2012, 10:56 PM
thanks travis. i may have to drive to bps and put my hands on some different models.

Travis C.
02-15-2012, 08:50 AM
If you can make it down there to BPro anyone of the guys can help but if he's there ask for Ferd.

On the two models listed in your post:

The only difference in the two other than chartplotter option and roughly $100 is the chartplotter model looks to have a color screen while the "x" model has similiar to the HDS color screens.

It looks like your paying the extra hundred or so to have a base map, be able to drop waypoints/routes and the HDS looking color. But also keep in mind that if you are wanting to see sonar and map the screen will be split in half.

white95v6
02-15-2012, 06:17 PM
If you can make it down there to BPro anyone of the guys can help but if he's there ask for Ferd.

On the two models listed in your post:

The only difference in the two other than chartplotter option and roughly $100 is the chartplotter model looks to have a color screen while the "x" model has similiar to the HDS color screens.

It looks like your paying the extra hundred or so to have a base map, be able to drop waypoints/routes and the HDS looking color. But also keep in mind that if you are wanting to see sonar and map the screen will be split in half.

yea i was kinda worried about the half screen stuff. but i think the marking waypoints is a big bonus. but not sure if its worth 100 bucks. i mean i could do it with my smart phone lol.

i can put it on sonar only. or map only right? also with these units i can use sonar or the down scan imaging right.

sorry for the dumb questions.

Travis C.
02-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Without having my hands on it, you should be able to view hole screens in either menu options.

It is really nice to have waypoints but at what cost is up to you.

When my sonar died, I was in no shape to get one with gps like I wanted. Yes I would love to have one with that capability and will once this one becomes time to replace. In the mean time, I use my garmin nuvi car gps. It doesn't have a contour to the lake but neither would most base maps on lower tier gps depthfinders. You would have to have a map chip for that. I can set the Nuvi to "off road" which is a point A-B directional setting and still save waypoints on it. Don't know how much the accuracy difference it is from a sonar but the points are close on the car gps to where I know the spot is I am fishing.

You just have to decide what you can live with and without at the time of purchase then get the best from that standpoint.

agelesssone
03-07-2012, 12:56 AM
My opinion is to get a unit with GPS capabilities. Not only can you go to strange lakes and find spots on a map on your unit, but plot a course and go directly to the spot you want to hit. Even in the dark, which to me is a plus as I go out and fish til after dark. I can use my charts on the unit to safely get back to wherever I started from. The maps available from Navionics are very detailed, showing the river bouys (at least where they are SUPPOSED to be) for safe navigating, showing the river contours so you don't run aground while driving in the dark.

And you can mark your waypoints, brushpiles, downed trees underwater and return to them even if they are 500 yards from the nearest shore.

Go with the best you can afford. Get the Humminbird 597 HD di, it has all of these capabilities and really gives you a great picture of what is under your boat, no deciphering. If it looks like a tree, it IS a tree.

Reel Tune
03-07-2012, 11:31 AM
I went with the Elite 5 DSI gold because I wanted DSI, the 5 was about as big as I wanted to go, didn't want another module that's why I didn't go with the HDS.

With the Elite 5 DSI Gold I will have Down Scan Imaging, Chartplotter/GPS, and Gold Navionics card.

The Chartplotter/GPS will allow me to put in wreck coordinates and stay on top of the wreck while fishing coastal waters, the Navionics Gold will help me with inland as well as coastal waters as in seeing contours. This unit had what I thought was the best features for what I needed. I went with the 5" screen because I didn't think the 4 would give me the detail I needed, and the 5 might be on the small side also, but we'll find out.

Good luck, and have you decided? It sure is a difficult decision.

Jeremy

white95v6
03-07-2012, 08:19 PM
its kinds funny this thread was brought back up. realy wanted the Elite-4DSI chartplotter. but i had to settle for the Mark-4 with chartplotter.i got it today soo its mounted and plan to hit the river about 3 am. can't wait to play with it for the first time.

thanks for everyones suggestions.

Reel Tune
03-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Let us know what you think from your initial use.