PDA

View Full Version : Finally figured out Center Hill's generation...

Travis C.
02-14-2012, 04:19 PM
They have been running water for what...4 months keeping waders off the river. It will all come to an end March 1st. You will see generation cease and license revenue shoot through the roof. TWRA sits back with a big cigar and slips the Corps a bill under the table.

Just a conspiracy theory. Sure I will factor the rain in a small amount in my theory...:D

jad2t
02-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Makes perfect sense. Also, that means the first weekend of less generation will yield a huge crowd of fishermen for the TWRA to have a field day with writing citations. Have they really been pumping for about 4 months? That means the first weekend they stop, probably the first weekend in March, could mean some good fishing! That's also the weekend of my next trip to Cookeville, works out well.

agelesssone
02-15-2012, 11:10 AM
If people are fishing illegally, i.e. no license, over the limits, etc. then I hope the TWRA DOES have a field day. I only wish we had more officers to patrol the tailwaters of all the dams.

We see immigrants of all nationalities throwing cast nets and keeping everything caught, regardless of species, size, or numbers.

The revenue paying public that buys a license are being used to keep these fisheries viable and the ones who won't buy licenses are, in essence, stealing our resources.

jad2t
02-15-2012, 12:20 PM
If people are fishing illegally, i.e. no license, over the limits, etc. then I hope the TWRA DOES have a field day. I only wish we had more officers to patrol the tailwaters of all the dams.

We see immigrants of all nationalities throwing cast nets and keeping everything caught, regardless of species, size, or numbers.

The revenue paying public that buys a license are being used to keep these fisheries viable and the ones who won't buy licenses are, in essence, stealing our resources.

Oh I agree, I wasn't saying the citations would be a bad thing. I hate seeing people with casting nets keeping everything they catch. I one time talked to a Mexican guy who was very friendly and spoke good English...until I noticed a rainbow trout on his stringer that was definitely within the 14-20 inch protected slot. I notified him of the rule and he all of a sudden forgot English and said he didn't understand what I was saying...

Travis C.
02-15-2012, 02:08 PM

In this cell phone age, if you see this actively happening it never hurts to snap a few photos as well as keep a local officer's # handy.

Don't put yourself in danger by no means but if you can get a shot of a license plate and/or them in the act it helps the agents who are stretched thin to begin with.

agelesssone
02-15-2012, 02:33 PM
How does one go about getting a phone number for a local officer?

txnative
02-15-2012, 02:50 PM
TWRA dispatch number is 615-781-6581. They can take your information and location and pass it to the field agent over that area.

Chris

bd-
02-15-2012, 06:41 PM
The Corps is getting killed with all the rain we've had this winter. Their target pool for summer is 630, and they're just barely getting below that for the first time all winter right now. The lakeinfo site says they're at 627.6 as I type this. That's probably 6 or 7 feet higher than they ideally want it this time of year. I expect you'll see them back off to one gen if they get down to the low 620s, and I'd think we'd get some open windows for wading when they get below that. The bottom of their target band is 618 so they'd cut off if we ever got down to that.

Unfortunately, we've got more rain in the forecast tonight...

bd

agelesssone
02-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks Chris, got it in my phone now.

Thanks for catching the skippie we used to catch the 25 pounder last night.

txnative
02-15-2012, 07:45 PM
No problem. The only thing I like better than catching them myself is helping others catch them.

Chris

jad2t
02-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Got the number saved in my phone too and I'll be on the lookout for people who break the rules. Have the 2012 regulations come out yet? I usually pick up the info at Walmart but haven't thought to do it this year yet. I google searched and found nothing.

Travis C.
02-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Got the number saved in my phone too and I'll be on the lookout for people who break the rules. Have the 2012 regulations come out yet? I usually pick up the info at Walmart but haven't thought to do it this year yet. I google searched and found nothing.

Somtimes they will be out the last week of Feb but definitely after the 28th.

txnative
02-16-2012, 07:22 AM
They're out. Picked up mine at Pointdexter's bait shop last Sunday.

Chris

agelesssone
02-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Went to the boat show on Sunday, stopped at the TWRA booth to get the new regs, they didn't have any.

And the young man (TWRA uniform, gun, etc.) had no clue about the regs as far as when the new licenses could be purchased, when the 2011 ones expired. He told me the licenses were good for a year from the date you bought them and seemed perturbed when I told him they went from the last day of Feb, year to year. And he didn't know the new ones went on sale on the 19th of this month.

I decided to not ask him any more regulation related questions after that.

bd-
02-16-2012, 11:08 AM
That's unusual. Usually the TWRA folks at the booth are very helpful and know their stuff. I've frequently seen Doug Markham there in the past. He certainly knows the regs like the back of his hand and wouldn't be clueless like that.

If this went down the way you say, the only explanation I can think of is that the officer you talked to was probably new - everybody makes mistakes. I guess it sounds like he probably should have put a little more study time in before they left him by himself answering questions at the booth though.

bd

Reel Tune
02-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Maybe he came from Florida, or Alabama they are both 1 year from the date of purchase, and I'm sure there are other states, but those are the only other 2 that I purchase that have a 1yr from the date of purchase.

jad2t
02-16-2012, 01:12 PM
That's funny that you mention the TWRA guy thinking the license lasted a year. In Florida that's how it's done and how it should be done in my opinion. I think the rule here with it ending in February is stupid. Anyway, when I first moved here from Florida I was compeletly unaware of the difference so I bought my license in August and in the middle of March got approached by TWRA about it. I showed him my license thinking it was valid and then he dropped the bomb on me. I begged and pleaded to get out of the citation since it was an honest mistake. At that time, I had actually only lived in TN for about 6 months, still even had my FL drivers license and showed him that to prove it. He wouldn't budge. I think that was unnecessary to give me a 200 dollar citation for a license only 2 weeks expired when I lived 18 years in a state with different rules which I always adhered to. I like to think that not all TWRA officers are not like this guy was

bd-
02-16-2012, 02:11 PM
I think just about every TWRA officer I have ever met in the field has been very courteous and respectful.

Maybe they would give more leeway about the expiration date if it wasn't printed right there on the license an inch and a half above where you sign your name. :)

bd

Travis C.
02-16-2012, 04:06 PM
The only thing tricky now for them is the 5 year color run. They won't be changing license colors every year anymore. Instead every 5, I believe that was told to me last year.

As far as that guy at the boat show, you never know. He could have told you right away out in his pickup truck next to the boat ramp. But, have him couped up in a show for who knows how many hours being asked a reg question by about anyone who walked up could take a toll on a young man.

I remember the days of doing business shows. All your concerned with is how much longer until it ends and you can sit down.

agelesssone
02-16-2012, 04:08 PM
I agree that every TWRA officer I have met/talked to/been checked by was very courteous and I to them. Having not had any infractions of the law, they have no reason to be discourteous. But I agree again, if it was an honest mistake, there could be some leeway given.

And yes, the officer in question was young and should have a lot more study time before he is allowed to take on such a public position such as a yearly, well attended function.

Hopefully before he works his next show, he will bone up on the regs.

And I believe without a doubt Doug knows the regs forward and backward.

bd-
02-16-2012, 04:24 PM
I asked around, and I'm told the booth at the Nashville Boat Show was manned by Doug Markham and another older, long-time officer who most assuredly knows the regulations very well.

I couldn't figure out who the young officer might have been. My best guess is that it must have been a new officer who just stopped by the booth and got caught off guard by your questions. Maybe someone ran to the restroom or something and he got asked to "stand in" at an unlucky moment. Not sure.

bd

jad2t
02-17-2012, 04:58 PM
I got the new regulations. Nothing changed for trout in the Caney :(

Travis C.
02-17-2012, 05:14 PM

I don't think the current regs will change any time soon.

But, we should start seeing the benefits from it this year and next year should be really good for avg size quality. That is as long as the construction by product doesn't screw it all up.

agelesssone
02-17-2012, 11:54 PM
I was there early on Sunday. Doug wasn't there when I was, and if he came, it was later in the day. I passed by the booth again as I was leaving and the same young man was there.

I never did see any older gentlemen there.

bd-
02-19-2012, 10:32 AM

What changes were you looking for? Now that we've got the slot limit on rainbows and brookies and the increased size limits on browns, I'm pretty happy. I might have done the regs slightly differently (start the slot a little higher and set the brown trout limit at 26"), but I'm pretty happy.

I think TWRA will let these regulations have a few years for evaluation before they would consider doing anything else.

Speaking of the Caney, I fished it all day yesterday. I had high hopes that it would be a really good day - and apparently I wasn't alone because there were a lot of boats out there. I think the striper posts have had an impact because there were a number of boats running back and forth catching bait at the dam to fish downriver.

Unfortunately it was slow, and I didn't really see anyone having much luck. I caught four or five trout plus a couple skipjack, but no trout of any size. I had one follow from a brown that might have gone 20", but he didn't connect.

I'm not sure why the fishing wasn't better, considering the ideal temps, cloud cover, favorable generation, and the big frontal system that was about to roll through. Maybe the fish had gorged on dying shad during the cold snap and were not in an eating mood. I don't know.

bd

jad2t
02-19-2012, 12:36 PM
What changes were you looking for? Now that we've got the slot limit on rainbows and brookies and the increased size limits on browns, I'm pretty happy. I might have done the regs slightly differently (start the slot a little higher and set the brown trout limit at 26"), but I'm pretty happy.

bd

I was hoping for regulations that allow me to keep more trout! I miss the days of keeping 7 of any size any species. Of course, that would not be a good idea but I'd like to be able to keep 7 within the size ranges currently allowed. I'm not saying it should be changed, I'm sure its for good reason that the regs are the same, but I'd like to keep 7. Plus, lets be honest, the 5 a day limit isnt stopping anyone from taking 5 home then coming back in an hour to catch 5 more. I live far from the Caney now, its almost a 2 hour drive, so when I go, Id like to be able to bring home a couple more meals. As much as I enjoy the trout fishing though, I don't want it to be a free for all and the trout population get depleted like it has been. That brings me to another question...

I inquired a lot about big stripers in there and I plan to work hard to catch one this year. Are there white bass in that river? I've caught tons of 10" or so fish in there that could either be stripers or white bass, I'm no expert at telling the difference but I will be this year, and I know there aren't any hybrids in there. I hear that white bass are excellent eating and nobody would throw a fit if I kept a bunch of them.

white95v6
02-19-2012, 01:10 PM
jimmy are there not any trout streams closer that you can keep the 7. i know the winter stocking place you can keep 7 of any size.

also i think white bass could be in the caney. but i would guess those 10'' fish are small stripers i have caught them.

also yes white bass are good to eat if prepared right. when they start to run in alittle over a month i will be catching my limit when ever my work schedule will allow.

jad2t
02-19-2012, 01:20 PM
jimmy are there not any trout streams closer that you can keep the 7. i know the winter stocking place you can keep 7 of any size.

also i think white bass could be in the caney. but i would guess those 10'' fish are small stripers i have caught them.

also yes white bass are good to eat if prepared right. when they start to run in alittle over a month i will be catching my limit when ever my work schedule will allow.

Well yea, a place called Nice Mill out here has stocked trout but I'd rather not eat stockers for health reasons. They're fed "food" pellets with crap that I don't want to ingest. When I fish the Caney, I don't keep the recently stocked trout. Just my preference. There aren't any limits on white bass I don't think... not for size, quantity maybe. I'll have to check.

white95v6
02-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Well yea, a place called Nice Mill out here has stocked trout but I'd rather not eat stockers for health reasons. They're fed "food" pellets with crap that I don't want to ingest. When I fish the Caney, I don't keep the recently stocked trout. Just my preference. There aren't any limits on white bass I don't think... not for size, quantity maybe. I'll have to check.

you have many places to fish that are closer then the caney then. the duck and the elk have hold over fish. if you don't want to eat stockers.

white bass has no length limit. but the creel is 15 per person. and if you want to catch a mess of them fish the stones about 2 miles below nice mill. i go there every yr. and i am looking forward to it.

bd-
02-19-2012, 06:23 PM
The regulations just went from 7 down to 5 last year because the Caney is being developed as a trophy fishery. The river has an amazing growth rate, and tighter harvest restrictions were the next logical step to moving the river from a good trophy trout fishery to a great one. To be blunt about it, the guys who were wanting to keep 7 holdover fish every time they went are exactly the problem the regs were changed to address. The people who want to keep some fish can still keep a few, and the people who would rather have a shot at a trophy fish have a better fishery. In my opinion it's a reasonable compromise.

As far as saying there are people who keep five fish and then come back for more - well, those same people used to keep seven fish and come back for more. You can't give up on reasonable regs because some people are unethical.

bd

jad2t
02-19-2012, 08:02 PM
So what about white bass in the Caney? Is that possibly what I've caught a lot of or are they more likely to be small striped bass?

txnative
02-19-2012, 08:27 PM
If they had a stocky body, light stripes, and multiple tooth patches on their tongues...white bass. Young stripers typically are more streamlined and their stripes are dark, even if they are broken. Next time, look at the fish's tongue. A white bass has multiple tooth patches and a striper has two distinct patches on its' tongue. There are white bass in the caney, and it wouldn't surprise me if you catch numerous whites since they school heavily.

Chris

bd-
02-20-2012, 12:21 AM
So what about white bass in the Caney? Is that possibly what I've caught a lot of or are they more likely to be small striped bass?

Could be either. I have caught a bunch of both in the Caney. This time of year, it's probably most likely white bass, since their spawning run is about to begin. They aren't hard to tell apart once you get the hang of it. Striped bass are more torpedo shaped and have much bolder lines.

Small striped bass:

http://www.tnfish.org/PhotoGalleryFish_TWRA/FishPhotoGallery_TWRA/images/StripedBassYoungCherokeeNegus_jpg.jpg

White bass:

http://www.tnfish.org/PhotoGalleryFish_TWRA/FishPhotoGallery_TWRA/images/WhiteBassStripeNorrisNegus_jpg.jpg

It's a little more challenging to tell the difference between small hybrids and white bass since the body shape is more similar - the giveaway there is that the hybrids will have darker (but very broken) stripes.

Hybrid (a bigger one) for reference:

http://www.tnfish.org/PhotoGalleryFish_TWRA/FishPhotoGallery_TWRA/images/HybridStripedBassCherokeeBassCherokeeReservoirNegu s_jpg.jpg

However you won't find hybrids in the Caney.

bd

Travis C.
03-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Looks like they made it down to 626...now its back on the rise and Great Falls is dumping 15K cfs, 14K cfs, 8K cfs the next few days.

Guess I will still be waiting a while to buy that trout stamp. So much for fishing in March...there's always April. :mad:

jad2t
03-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Yea this is pretty annoying isn't it? I went ahead and bought mine because I know I'm going to use it...eventually and I didn't want that to be standing in my way when they finally do give us wading windows. I just want to pack my stuff and go straight there.

bd-
03-09-2012, 01:53 PM
For trout, March and April are the times to hit the spring creeks on the Plateau and west of town. On the east side, the upper Collins is good, along with Pine, Sink, Charles, and Mountain creeks. On the west side, Mill Creek, Tumbling Creek, and Cane Creek are worth fishing.

I don't "name names" on my smallmouth creeks, but I don't mind talking about the spring trout creeks because I think TWRA would do a lot more with these creeks if we could get them more attention.

As far as the Caney Fork goes, the water should slow down once it warms up some. Hopefully we'll get some wading windows by early May unless we have a lot of heavy spring rains.

bd

jad2t
03-12-2012, 07:42 AM
They're back up to 628.6 this morning above the dam. Looks like it might be quite a while before we get wading windows...maybe early summer haha. At least we have the whtie bass run into the streams to look forward to! That should be happening anytime now. I'm gonna start hitting the local streams here in Smyrna and I'll report back if I get into them.

jad2t
03-20-2012, 08:03 AM
I just noticed yesterday that some wading windows are starting to appear! Only a few hours at a time but the river depth is dropping low enough to wade in. I'll be out there in a couple weeks.

Travis C.
03-20-2012, 02:35 PM
I just noticed yesterday that some wading windows are starting to appear! Only a few hours at a time but the river depth is dropping low enough to wade in. I'll be out there in a couple weeks.

I still say its a hoax... Believe it when I see it...:D

Aciddrag0n
03-20-2012, 03:45 PM
at what water level does it become wadable?

Travis C.
03-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Very few places on the river you can safely wade when they are running water. That goes for generation and/or just sluice gate.

Be safer to go when water is off and be aware of the generation schedule as well as how long it takes to get to where you are.

jaycee
03-21-2012, 06:15 AM
I got trapped on an island in the Caney once. I was all set to stay until water receded.
A couple of men came by in a canoe and gave me a ride to the side with my car.

Never was in any danger, just thought I was going to have a long wait and had already called my wife and told her where I was and that I was going to be a little late.