PDA

View Full Version : Caney Fork access - rest stop off I-40

jad2t
02-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Has anyone ever fished this place? My girlfriend wants to trout fish with me in the Caney one day to see if she likes it but she doesn't have waders. This area has plenty of fishable water that can be reached from very shallow water, or even from dry land in some spots so it would be a good place for her to try this out with me one day. Question is, has anybody ever had luck there? High water or low water?

bd-
02-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Decent fishing at low water, especially if you are willing to walk downriver through the woods a bit toward the next Interstate crossing. I'd recommend long pants because there are some stinging nettles along the path.

At high water it's probably going to be tough fishing. Good productive shoreline fishing spots on the Caney at high water are hard to come by.

bd

jad2t
02-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the pointer on the stinging nettles!! I had never heard of them until you posted that and I googled them. I certainly don't want to get stung and I wouldn't want my girlfriends first fishing adventure with me to be ruined if she got stung.

Travis C.
02-15-2012, 10:13 PM
If you walk in at the fisherman's parking you can cover a good bit on the river bank at low water. Be sure to bring shoes you won't mind getting a little muddy. Also the water is pretty shallow along that side so you may need something that can cast across easily.

check your pm's

jad2t
02-18-2012, 01:10 PM
What do you mean by "fishermans parking"? Is there a specific area I should be parking at if I'm gonna leave my vehicle there for a while?

Travis C.
02-18-2012, 01:56 PM
It's pretty new, I think they did it last year sometime.

If you get off at the rest area you will either loop around from Nashville direction or simply exit right from Cookeville direction. As you come around towards parking area there will be the big trucks parking on the left, the fisherman's parking will be off to the right down by the river and a maintence shed.

There are signs posted for it. You will go past both big trucks and small cars parking for the rest area like your heading out to the interestate then you'll see a turn on the right with a sign that will take you back down to the parking lot by the river.