PDA

View Full Version : Reminder About Winter Boat Ramps

bd-
02-13-2012, 06:22 PM
We are finally getting our first below-freezing temps of the winter. I have a feeling it may not last long, but who knows. Anyway, since it's in the 30s and below early and late, I thought it was time for a reminder.

When you are putting in and taking out your boat, please remember to pull your trailer out slowly and gradually instead of just hitting the gas and plowing on out. You want to avoid pulling a wave of water up onto the ramp.

After a few boat trailers pull out on a freezing cold day, you can wind up with a sheet of ice on the ramp. Then the people who come after you have trouble getting in and out. This is easily preventable if you just take it slow and easy.

I had a bass boat or two take out ahead of me on the ramp last night, and I had to kick it into 4wd to get up the ramp when it was finally my turn - and the ice wasn't even really that bad. Sometimes I carry a box of rock salt in the winter in case the ramp is iced, but I didn't have any this winter since it's been so unseasonably warm all year.

This is just a reminder of an easy way to make things easier for your fellow anglers when it's cold outside.

bd

randy10357
02-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I have a 2WD Tahoe and don't want to get stuck!!

creeksmallie
02-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Great Reminder. After 3 days fishing last week of mild winter Temps and not fishing Sat. and Sunday we fished again today.
Today I put in at Mona and the Boat trailer floated with the boat. What do we do about that. LOL
The Boat being froze to the trailer was a first in 23 years of owning a boat. It took 5 minutes sitting in the water and a 6 ft 2X4 to pry it off the trailer. That was the 2nd ramp we tried the other ramp the Trailer and boat wanted to float off the narrow ramp when I tried to back off with big motor. I was afraid the trailer would release and get stuck on the ramp.
We did end up with 16 bass ,most were 13 inch twins except for a 3 and 4 pound Largemouth. Grubs and Magic Stix fished slow in channel worked. Tried crappie in deeper trees and had one short and a bunch of gills. We never got below 840.
A good day on the water.
Mike

Jeremy
02-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks bd. I am brand new to the boating world and I never would have thought about that. With me being brand new I haven't even thought about going out when it is this cold but it is something I will always think about this time of year.

nofish
02-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Also be careful on boat ramps on lakes that let the water down for the winter. Be careful not to let your trailer drop off the end of the ramp! I haven't had this problem in Tennessee, but I lived in southern Ohio for 8the years and I had that happen to me there. The trailer frame was sitting on the concrete and it was he'll getting it off. If anyone knows of any ramps like this locally can you post them?

Travis C.
02-14-2012, 08:15 AM
We've had a lot of water this winter. Should not have to worry about many of the ramps that I remember being almost out of water at winter pool.

fisherman550
02-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Also be careful on boat ramps on lakes that let the water down for the winter. Be careful not to let your trailer drop off the end of the ramp! I haven't had this problem in Tennessee, but I lived in southern Ohio for 8the years and I had that happen to me there. The trailer frame was sitting on the concrete and it was he'll getting it off. If anyone knows of any ramps like this locally can you post them?

The day use ramp at Floating Mill is so flat, and has a drop off at the end of it. At this time of year, just go through the open gate and use the ramp in the camping area-shouldn't have a problem there.