PDA

View Full Version : Gsp 5/12/12

txnative
02-13-2012, 11:00 AM
My bro in law and I dragged our fishing sleds out to the gsp at 7 am and stayed till after 4 pm. I used predominantly cast-netted threadies, he used shiners. We caught around a dozen bass (my biggest was around 3 lbs), a lot drum up to 24", a few cats, some big 15+" white bass, and he caught a 5-6 lb striper. Decent day, but the wind made it tough to fish near the mouth, and I was marking a lot of bait there with a lot of fish in the bait schools. I caught most of my fish about 2/3 of the way up the channel, and got a lot hits on down lined shad in the mouth. I didn't take my usual menagerie of rods, so I wasn't equipped to fish the way I wanted to. Free lining shad near the banks worked on the bass and drum, but the cats, whites, and stripers were on the channel edge near the 12-14 ft depths. I saw one guy flyfishing in a gheenoe, which made me yearn to break out the long rod after a long hiatus. If the winds work with me next weekend, I will have the long rod out with me (ANY wind makes fly fishing in a kayak a pain).

If anyone saw me out there, here's a "hello" to you, and hope you had the same or better luck than I did. I was in the blue kayak, my bro in law was in the big green one.

Chris

Travis C.
02-13-2012, 11:20 AM
I saw one guy flyfishing in a gheenoe, which made me yearn to break out the long rod after a long hiatus.

Chris

Wonder if bd got his boat fixed. He is the only Gheenoe owner I know around here.

Sounds like you guys had a fun trip. I can only imagine how hard it is to cast a fly rod from a seated position at water level.

bd-
02-13-2012, 11:29 AM
I saw one guy flyfishing in a gheenoe, which made me yearn to break out the long rod after a long hiatus.

Yea, that was me. I almost asked if you were one of the kayak guys who posts on Fishingtn. I guess I should have. Good to see you.

On the other hand, it had been a while since I've cast a sinking line, and my casting was in very poor shape - I probably should have stayed somewhere where I wouldn't see anybody I knew until I got back into form. :)

You should have stuck around about two more hours. The wind laid down right around sunset and the fishing was off the charts for about an hour.

bd

txnative
02-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Figures. I wasn't in a rush to go, but I was tired of dealing with the catch shad/try to keep 'em alive process. As for casting, you looked a lot better than I did last time I used sinking line. I hate how much more difficult it is to cast than floating, so I don't use it much...which accounts for my lack of skill with it. I may add on a sinking tip when I REALLY need to get my fly down, but most of the places I fish work fine for a floating line.

I plan on adding outrigger style stabilizers to my kayak so I can stand and flycast better. I can stand and throw a castnet now, but I don't risk it in cold weather/water...too much can go wrong, that's why I learned to throw one sitting down. It isn't easy and not always pretty, but it works. If you ever want company in the gheenoe, let me know. I'd like the chance to pick your brain and complain about muskies. ;)

Chris

Adough
02-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Didn't realize there was kayak access for gsp. Where's the put-in and how far of a paddle?

txnative
02-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Put-in at Coles ferry ramp. It's about 1/4 miles upstream of the GSP's mouth. Nice little ramp, usually not crowded. No dock means boaters don't use it as much as the one at flipper's. Be careful paddling thru the big eddie just in front of it, though. If the cumbie is running hard, you'll get spun around quick. Hit it with some speed and it's easy to get thru, but you'll definitely feel the push.

Chris

bd-
02-13-2012, 02:31 PM
If you ever want company in the gheenoe, let me know. I'd like the chance to pick your brain and complain about muskies. ;)

Sure thing - give me a shout some time and we'll go! We need to check out you-know-where up in Kentucky one of these days once I stock up on some more glide baits and big muskie plugs.

bd

txnative
02-13-2012, 03:36 PM
The place is pretty small. Most baits used are bass sized cranks. I was thinking 8 or 9 wt, floating line, n 6-7" streamers. Gear wise, I would use large, shallow running plugs (long a, #11 raps, 7" bagleys).

Depending on weather/work, I may be free one day next week to get out after 2 pm. I'll pm you once I can be more specific.

Chris

bd-
02-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Okay, just let me know. I rarely get free on a weekday due to busy schedule, so it'll probably have to be a weekend. I've decided I'm not really interested in fly fishing for muskie until I learn their behavior a little better on gear. The learning curve on these fish is already pretty steep - why make it tougher?

bd