PDA

View Full Version : anyone been to gsp lately?

nofish
02-08-2012, 10:36 PM
I was just wondering how the fishing has been. I plan on going Saturday if I can get rid of the flu by then.

Travis C.
02-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Well don't give it to me....:D

I rarely take my bass boat out in the winter. How do you guys keep from having lower unit problems due to freezing?

That has always kept me from draggin it out in really cold weather.

nofish
02-08-2012, 11:53 PM

I rarely take my bass boat out in the winter. How do you guys keep from having lower unit problems due to freezing?

hopefully this is my 1 good sick for the year!!!

when i pull my boat out of the water i let the motor back down so it'll drain. when i get it back to where i store it i let the motor down until i use it again. it's worked good for me so far. my buddy doesn't use his pontoon during the winter and leaves a heat lamp on his. he had me worried when i started fishing in the winter because he said his dad was fishing priest years ago and had the motor off most of the day and cracked the engine block from freezing. personally i think that happened from something else. i think what i'm doing is working because it's been cold enough and long enough several times this year to freeze and cause problems in the lower unit, but because i keep the motor down and tilted back it all drains out.

nofish
02-08-2012, 11:55 PM
hopefully this is my 1 good sick for the year!!!

when i pull my boat out of the water i let the motor back down so it'll drain. when i get it back to where i store it i let the motor down until i use it again. it's worked good for me so far. my buddy doesn't use his pontoon during the winter and leaves a heat lamp on his. he had me worried when i started fishing in the winter because he said his dad was fishing priest years ago and had the motor off most of the day and cracked the engine block from freezing. personally i think that happened from something else. i think what i'm doing is working because it's been cold enough and long enough several times this year to freeze and cause problems in the lower unit, but because i keep the motor down and tilted back it all drains out.

while we're on this topic i'd be interested to know what others do.?

agelesssone
02-09-2012, 12:28 AM
I haven't been there for a few weeks but thinking about going in the morning. Not too early because I have to have the battery and on board charger checked out at Tracker Marine in Hendersonville first thing.

I'll catch some shad and drift down the shoreline, casting shad on free line for whatever wants to bite. Also going to spider rig some minnows and jigs for crappie up by the fence.

StriperFan
02-09-2012, 05:50 AM

I don't go as much in the winter because I'm a Florida boy, and its cold out there, usually. But I do venture out in the cold weather from time to time. Like Nofish said, lower and drain the lower unit and you won't have a problem. That is part of my routine, even in the summer, so I know I do it each and every time.

MNfisher
02-09-2012, 07:48 AM

I used to fish in March all the time on the Mississippi River in Minnesota. At the time I had a Ranger with a 225 yamaha on it. Some evenings after fishing it would get to single digits. When done, I would just lower it and let it drain while strapping and covering the boat. Then I would raise it all the way back up, and then lower again and a bunch more water would come out. Then just raise her up, throw the transom saver on and on my way. I never had any freeze problems.

Travis C.
02-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

Winter usually gives way to me wade fishing for trout or using my flatbottom with a trolling motor for trout floats but this winter has sucked for that. Maybe I will try to bring my bass boat out some. I knew it was possible as everyone seemed to do it but me. I just wanted to make sure I followed the right steps draining it.

Thanks again.

txnative
02-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Has anyone been on oh lake near the gsp, and, if so, how was water clarity? Thanks.

Chris

Catch & Release
02-10-2012, 09:24 PM

I have fished all winter my whole life and have never had a problem with the lower unit freezing, the only thing I will do is lower the motor after I take it out of the water to drain it, but cant say I always do that and I have never had it freeze and bust, but I may just be lucky.... I hear about people winterizing their boats, but I use mine year around so never have done that.

tkwalker
02-11-2012, 01:51 AM

Travis, Please explain lower unit freezing problems ... I have fished for over 50 years from every outboard ever built, but never had a "Freezing problem with the lower unit" Yes if you have bad seals and you get water in the lower unit and it is not checked or serviced annually ...(I repair about 4 a year on the old split cast OMC's where folks don't ever service their outboards) But these are the 50's through 70's vintage ... They have improved ... It could freeze and crack and ruin a lower unit ... But any outboard out there will withstand the winter time ... Besides our winters are mild compared to MN, Wis, Mich and others ... ... Contact me and lets talk about your problem ... It is rare !!! <'TK>< :confused:

tkwalker
02-11-2012, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

Winter usually gives way to me wade fishing for trout or using my flatbottom with a trolling motor for trout floats but this winter has sucked for that. Maybe I will try to bring my bass boat out some. I knew it was possible as everyone seemed to do it but me. I just wanted to make sure I followed the right steps draining it.

Thanks again.

:confused:Draining what, when and why ... The lower unit ???? <'TK><

tkwalker
02-11-2012, 02:13 AM
I used to fish in March all the time on the Mississippi River in Minnesota. At the time I had a Ranger with a 225 yamaha on it. Some evenings after fishing it would get to single digits. When done, I would just lower it and let it drain while strapping and covering the boat. Then I would raise it all the way back up, and then lower again and a bunch more water would come out. Then just raise her up, throw the transom saver on and on my way. I never had any freeze problems.

Travis, MNFisher does what a lot of folks do ... But really this is not neccessary but it doesn't hurt ... The water that is in the prop is in the exhaust passage way of the exhaust tower... The lower unit is an enclosed sealed unit .... If the exhaust ports are frozen through the prop and exhaust tower ... When the motor is put in the water it usually melts and when the motor is running you have the hot exhaust (that exhausts through the prop) that will instantly melt it ... this water that may be frozen in the prop will not hurt the seals ... But as MNFisher said just tilt it and let it drain before putting it on the motor toater when last used ... ... I use to commercial fish with an old red band 1970 .... 50 HP merc and would have to break the ice to float the boat off of the trailer ... The boat was usually froze to the carpeted bunks and we would have to wait until the river water would melt the ice and drop the trailer from the boat at the ramp ... I think you have been listening to ... to many wives tales ... I noticed you said you used your flatbottom in the winter ... No freezing lower unit problems with it ??? <'TK>< :)

robhal11
02-11-2012, 10:23 AM
I thought everyone should ask you, since you work on motors. I used to fish Priest and Dale Hollow off and on during the winter with a buddy of mine. The only thing I saw was, I guess it was a prop seal push out. We fished Dale Hollow in FEB and drove back to Lebanon in about 10 degree weather, I guess he did not let the water drain enough before he put it on the motor toter. Other than that I have never had any freezing problems. Heading out to the fishing show today. Come over to the Southern Woods and Waters booth.

tkwalker
02-11-2012, 12:06 PM
I thought everyone should ask you, since you work on motors. I used to fish Priest and Dale Hollow off and on during the winter with a buddy of mine. The only thing I saw was, I guess it was a prop seal push out. We fished Dale Hollow in FEB and drove back to Lebanon in about 10 degree weather, I guess he did not let the water drain enough before he put it on the motor toter. Other than that I have never had any freezing problems. Heading out to the fishing show today. Come over to the Southern Woods and Waters booth.

There again I don't know how you saw a seal without removing the prop? Did you see any lower unit oil running out! It is a 80/90 weight gold in color unless it is Merc High performance it it will be dark blue and some omc oils are blue. "THE ONLY WAY A LOWER UNIT CAN FREEZE IS THAT YOU HAVE BAD SEALS AND IT GETS WATER IN IT" The lower unit is a air tight housing and has no room for expansion of freezing water. Like I stated before the exhaust through props is an open port to the exhaust tower... it is open to expansion ...

Here are the seals for most motors with some exception do to vintage:
1. Drive shaft seal .. Seldom gives problems.
2. Shift linkage seal .. In older motors this is frequent.
3. prop shaft seal ... These can be damaged with fishing line ...
4. Vent and drain screw seals .. Very seldom if in place ...

How to check for water ... After use of motor, it takes about 3 days for the water and oil to seperate. This has to be done in an above freezing temp. The water will settle to the bottom of the housing where the drain plug is. Leave the vent plug in. This will let the lower unit fluid slowly leave the housing ... If you have water in the lower unit that will be the first thing you will see. Now it is not unusual to see maybe a tablespoon of water do to condensation but no more ... If the oil is milky looking (merc oil) it may have water in it. If you see the water and then it turns to oil you do not have to completely dump the gearcase, you can refill and still use the good oil in the case. (Note my last guide boat had a 225 HP 3 liter Blue water merc on it) I rebuilt the lower unit twice and the factory rebuilt it twice, we never could stop it from leaking, so I would just dump the water after about two trips and add oil. Merc has a High performance oil that actually mixes with water).

To service the lower unit ... Dump the old oil ... I use a lower unit adapter pump that screws in to the quart oil bottle and screws in to the DRAIN hole (Walmart). Pump the oil from the bottom up until it comes out the vent hole at the top... What this does is removes any trapped air. Install the vent plug first , (check to make sure your plug seal is good and sometimes they are stuck in the hole and are not on the plug itself ... Which is okay . Then install your drain plug last ...

Hope this helps ... This is mainly an overview and depending on make and model there is variations but this mainly holds true for most outboards ...

Have a good day ... <'TK>< :)

Travis C.
02-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Sorry I missed your posts until now TK.

I may be confused and have worded everything all word. What I was thinking about was the lower unit freezing. That is the thing that has kept me from venturing out in cold sub-freezing temps because when its stored outside after being used. I was worried it wouldn't get all the water out and crack.

My bass boat has a 1996 90hp Force outboard on it. The jon boat has a trolling motor on it and most winters I float the Caney or Obey.

Sorry if I was a bit confusing. I apologize.

Thanks for clearing it up TK.

tkwalker
02-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Sorry I missed your posts until now TK.

I may be confused and have worded everything all word. What I was thinking about was the lower unit freezing. That is the thing that has kept me from venturing out in cold sub-freezing temps because when its stored outside after being used. I was worried it wouldn't get all the water out and crack.

My bass boat has a 1996 90hp Force outboard on it. The jon boat has a trolling motor on it and most winters I float the Caney or Obey.

Sorry if I was a bit confusing. I apologize.

Thanks for clearing it up TK.

Travis, your Force is a Chrysler powerhead with a Merc lower unit ... Your good to go !! <'TK>< :)