PDA

View Full Version : A few hours 2/04 at Center Hill Dam

MNfisher
02-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Well, I finally just put up with the rain and went to throw a few lures for a few hours down below Center Hill on the Caney. First cast, I tossed a spoon as far as I could and let it sink, Wham, it got nailed. My drag screamed for a bit and then had some good headshakes! I thought forsure nice walleye or trout or small striper. But while very fun to catch, was a bit disappointed to see this about 5-6 pound drum:rolleyes:! Oh well, like I said, fun to catch and a drum is better than a skunk!!

I tossed the spoon for about a half hour longer with out a hit. I switched to a Husky jerk and about 5th cast in, had a huge, 23-25" brown swing and miss right at shore! My biggest brown is a 16 incher. This got my heart pounding! Over the next 5 casts, I had 3 NICE trout follow to the shore, whether it was the same one, or different fish. Then it slowed down a bit, I moved down shore a bit and again, had another mid 20's trout swing and miss about 5 feet from shore! Next cast, a smaller one almost tore the rod out of my hand! I got her in and I would estimate about 18-19", just a guess. Boy she was fat though, probably 6" from belly to top of back! After that I had no more action.

I am new to this trout scene, especially the browns. Is it common to get short hits and follows? These trout were very NICE! The ones that missed were much larger than the one I caught.

Anyways, took a few pics when I got the fish to shore. Glad I got the energy to get out!

Travis C.
02-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Is it common to get short hits and follows?

Glad you got out, I was wondering how it was fishing up there. Nice job.

As far as short strikes is it common, not really much on big fish but smaller ones will. A big fish may follow but rarely short strike. It would be like you eating a cheeseburger. How many times have you ever missed your mouth? Same with them as they eat fish for living. They do like to "stun" prey with their tail then circle around and catch it the safe easy way.

Next time you feel a good thump but no hookup try real hard not to jerk it all the way back to you instead stop it and let it free float 10-15ft. Maybe add a twitch or two see if he is around.

txnative
02-04-2012, 11:14 PM
I chase trout a lot, and follows are very common, even for big fish. They know they have the advantage over what they think is wounded prey (your jerkbait), and can eyeball it before committing. Throw an intermittent hard twitch in every five or six cranks, followed by a pause. The twitch usually causes a reactionary strike, and the pause allows for fish that missed to catch the bait.

As for missed or short strikes, trout are suction, or more specifically, vortex feeders. They create a directional vortex to grab prey, and they are astonishingly accurate. This "suction" can be negated by your line's tension. A good example of this is when flyfishermen see a trout "eat" their fly, yet either the line reveals no take or they "miss" on the strike (hook set). The drag, or microdrag, on the flyline, leader, etc was sufficient to interfere with a trout's feeding mechanism, yet not enough to be perceptible to the angler. Obviously, a 24" brown trying to eat a 5" shad will not rely on the vortex-action alone to capture its' prey, but if the trout detects odd resistance to a normally successful feeding behavior, it may not fully committ to taking the bait/lure/fly.

There isn't a whole lot you can do to prevent this in a flowing tailrace setting with jerkbaits being the lure used, so sharpen your hooks, use sensitive line/rod combo, and try to cause an aggressive reactionary strike from following neutral fish. The aggressive fish take care of themselves, as you saw for yourself.

Chris

MNfisher
02-05-2012, 10:34 AM
They do like to "stun" prey with their tail then circle around and catch it the safe easy way.

This makes sense. I guess they were not short strikes, but the trout would come flying up and look like it was going to eat, then flip around real fast, then I would pause and it came back. But unfortunately it didn't eat when it returned. But it definitely looked like it was trying to stun it.

Thanks for the info guys!

Travis C.
02-05-2012, 11:01 AM
That could have been what you seen but also if you can see them they can see you as well. The fish may have came up with intentions to eat but spotting something above he didn't like then bailed back down.

You'll really like trout.

Brown's are fun hard fighting fish that like to dig towards every piece of cover around. Rainbow'ss are equally tough but give you an air show with their jumps. And Brook's are some of the prettiest dumb fish I have ever caught as they will eat about anything any way. They fight good as well. Put size on any of those fish and you have the makings for some fun.

MNfisher
02-05-2012, 04:35 PM
That sounds awesome Travis C.

I have caught numerous rainbows on the caney on roostertails, but nothing over 12 inches. I lost about an 11 inch brook at the canoe last summer. But that is about all I got for trout experience. I have about an hour drive to get to the Caney, but it has been a great experience every time I go. I have seen you do quite well at times on the browns. If you are ever up for it, I would love to meet up with you, whether in the Nashville area or over on the Caney.

Travis C.
02-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Maybe we can get together for a trip up there sometime.

There are some really good trout fishermen on this site and they all use different techniques. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

navydocivan
02-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Mn Fisher ... private message

bd-
02-06-2012, 04:23 PM
The fish may have came up with intentions to eat but spotting something above he didn't like then bailed back down.

That's kinda what I was thinking.

Short strikes and follows can be common on some days. However, I'm wondering if it wasn't a line visibility issue.

It looks like you're using fairly heavy braid, because I can see your line pretty well in the photos. That's good in a way, since it helps you get your fish in quickly in the current.

However, the Caney is pretty clear, and trout can definitely be line shy.

Try attaching a leader of fluorocarbon line between the braided line and your lure, and see if that doesn't reduce the number of follows and short strikes.

bd

MNfisher
02-06-2012, 06:55 PM
It looks like you're using fairly heavy braid, because I can see your line pretty well in the photos.

I was using 14 pound fireline. It does look very thick in the photos, probably from the post processing of messing with the contrast and stuff. Is that still a too visible of a line to be using in that water? I never have used a flouro leader when just twitching jerk baits. But maybe I should start.

I am thinking of giving it a try again on Saturday. I really want to catch a mid twenties brown! Or maybe a big rainbow too. Only time will help!

Travis C.
02-06-2012, 08:22 PM
I am thinking of giving it a try again on Saturday. I really want to catch a mid twenties brown!

You talkin pounds or inches..:D

This is one of my favorite jerkbaits. Smithwick suspending rogue Blk back, silver, orange belly.

http://www.landbigfish.com/images/store/showcaseimagethumbs/ADRB1200-31OB.jpg

I don't retrieve like most. I rarely jerk it just slow and steady.

Be sure to tie a loop knot instead of standard knots or clips. A rapala knot will give a lot better action.

Good luck.

tjustin
02-06-2012, 08:24 PM
I was using 14 pound fireline. It does look very thick in the photos, probably from the post processing of messing with the contrast and stuff. Is that still a too visible of a line to be using in that water? I never have used a flouro leader when just twitching jerk baits. But maybe I should start.

I am thinking of giving it a try again on Saturday. I really want to catch a mid twenties brown! Or maybe a big rainbow too. Only time will help!

Ill be downn there saturday and a day or to through out the week.

tjustin
02-06-2012, 08:26 PM
You talkin pounds or inches..:D

This is one of my favorite jerkbaits. Smithwick suspending rogue Blk back, silver, orange belly.

http://www.landbigfish.com/images/store/showcaseimagethumbs/ADRB1200-31OB.jpg

I don't retrieve like most. I rarely jerk it just slow and steady.

Be sure to tie a loop knot instead of standard knots or clips. A rapala knot will give a lot better action.

Good luck.
Hey Travis ! I use the same lure but blue top silver bottom. Have had luck on that one as well.

txnative
02-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Check your pm's, MNfisher

Chris

fishbait61832
02-08-2012, 07:13 AM
those are some mighty fine pics!! Are those from a cell phone?

bd-
02-08-2012, 10:38 AM

Yeah, even light braid has pretty high visibility in clear water. I would try using a leader, especially if you're getting rejections and follows.

bd

MNfisher
02-08-2012, 06:28 PM
those are some mighty fine pics!! Are those from a cell phone?

Thanks!! Nope, not cell phone. Nikon D90.