PDA

View Full Version : Boat Window tint

Tennesseejugger
02-03-2012, 01:49 PM
I have a 90 Hydra Sports with dual consoles and I am wanting to get my windshields tinted, I was told by a very reputable tint firm that Plexiglas cannot be tinted with film due to the porous nature and that the gases from the plexi would cause the film to bubble and come off. Do any of you have any suggestions?

txnative
02-03-2012, 02:55 PM
You can try rc car window tint. It may be tough to apply evenly, though.

Chris

Tennesseejugger
02-03-2012, 03:07 PM
You can try rc car window tint. It may be tough to apply evenly, though.

Chris Yeah I saw that stuff made by Testors, what about this stuff that they spray tail light covers with?

Travis C.
02-03-2012, 03:31 PM
You'll probably have to paint it or use a spray of some sorts.

You'd never get a film to lay flat enough not have bubbles or if it did the surface isn't hard like glass so it may cause a swirling effect.

If it is clear now and you do paint just paint the inside. You can thin down almost any paint to where its transparent enough to see through.

txnative
02-03-2012, 03:37 PM
I believe tail light covers are polycarbonate, and I'm not sure how the material differs from plexiglass. You may want to spot test it and see how it works before trying rc tint.

Chris

Tennesseejugger
02-03-2012, 03:49 PM
You'll probably have to paint it or use a spray of some sorts.

You'd never get a film to lay flat enough not have bubbles or if it did the surface isn't hard like glass so it may cause a swirling effect.

If it is clear now and you do paint just paint the inside. You can thin down almost any paint to where its transparent enough to see through.
What would I thin it down with and if I am using a rattle can how do I thin that down?

ALANRAYG2
02-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I am no expert in tints and paints. Have you thought of a dye or some sort of stain? I know dip n dye will color a white boat and it is plastic. I don't know how long it would last or affect the integrity of the plastic wind shield.

Travis C.
02-03-2012, 09:05 PM
What would I thin it down with and if I am using a rattle can how do I thin that down?

Good question I was thinking of the gun type spray.

I think there is paint they use out of a can for stained glass windows it is translucent. I have no idea what colors are available.