PDA

View Full Version : My First Rockfish

TNtransplant08
02-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Went below Old Hickory Dam this morning and I caught my firsh Rockfish. It was 11 lbs and 12 oz and was caught on a medium light rod spooled with 6 pound test Yozuri Hybrid Soft line. I was fishing for walleyes and smallies when the fish struck. I gotta say WOW! It was a ton a fun to catch on light line. Now I know what Alphahawk is talking about. At first I thought I had a Drum or Buffalo on, but than it took off like a rocket. Lightened the drag and EAAASSED the fish in. I honestly thought I'd lose it, as heavy as the current was and the light line. After taking the photos, the fish was released to grow bigger and be caught another day.

lupanfreitag
02-03-2012, 01:31 PM
That photo makes me want to visit the dam so bad. Must go soon.

Dakota
02-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Be careful those rockfish can be addicting.LOL. Nice 1st catch

Tennesseejugger
02-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Congrats!

Travis C.
02-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Nice job. I had wondered with all the current if anyone was down there.

jad2t
02-03-2012, 03:37 PM
What lure did you use?

TNtransplant08
02-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Be careful those rockfish can be addicting.LOL. Nice 1st catch

Thats definitely an understatement! Thanks!

TNtransplant08
02-03-2012, 04:32 PM
What lure did you use?

I was fishing for Walleye and Smallies, so I was using a 3 inch slider.

banjopkr
02-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Nice fish and dont you love the Yozuri ultra soft,I recently started using it on my spinning tackle and have to say I like it better than anything I have tried.

TNtransplant08
02-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Nice fish and dont you love the Yozuri ultra soft,I recently started using it on my spinning tackle and have to say I like it better than anything I have tried.

I agree with you on the Yozuri Ultra Soft for spinning gear. Its the best one I've come across so far. Its tough, but soft enough that I rarely get any line twists. It casts much better than regular floro. Plus its cheaper!

I know this isn't floro line, but I tried the Berkley Nanofil once. It casts like a dream and the sensivity superb. However, I found that it frayed very easily when I'm jigging below the dam. I was constantly having to snip off a section and retie. If they could solve that, it'd be an awesome line. I bought the PowerPro braid today at BPS. I've been meaning to try braided line for below the dam and compare to the Yozuri, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

BTW...BPS is selling 300 yard spools of PowerPro for 20% off.

agelesssone
02-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Congratulations on your first rockfish. You are now officially one ahead of me!

I wanted to go to OH dam today but home duties kept me away, and tomorrow as well.

Maybe Sunday!:)

txnative
02-03-2012, 07:20 PM
TNtransplant,

Give berkley's fireline crystal a shot. It casts great, holds a knot well, and is TOUGH. I landed a 20 lb striper that had wrapped me around a rock BEFORE burning off 50+ yards of 10 lb test fireline crystal. I had to bring the fish back and around the rock against current, and hooked and landed a 15 lber on my next cast without retying my line (I should have, but the stripers were decimating shad in 3 ft of rough water and I lacked the willpower to not cast).

Chris

Dakota
02-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Ive used power pro braid for sometime now. I really like it. Will use a albright knot to tie flurocarbon off it for certain things. The best knot for that.

QUOTE=TNtransplant08;18775]I agree with you on the Yozuri Ultra Soft for spinning gear. Its the best one I've come across so far. Its tough, but soft enough that I rarely get any line twists. It casts much better than regular floro. Plus its cheaper!

I know this isn't floro line, but I tried the Berkley Nanofil once. It casts like a dream and the sensivity superb. However, I found that it frayed very easily when I'm jigging below the dam. I was constantly having to snip off a section and retie. If they could solve that, it'd be an awesome line. I bought the PowerPro braid today at BPS. I've been meaning to try braided line for below the dam and compare to the Yozuri, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

BTW...BPS is selling 300 yard spools of PowerPro for 20% off.[/QUOTE]

MNfisher
02-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Congrats! Still waiting for my first one! Did you have any luck with any other species??

hogdawg
02-04-2012, 03:29 AM
is anyone having any luck on the Old Hickory side of the dam?

Fish Whisperer
02-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Nice fish.... They are fun to fight with light tackle...

GO-OKFISHIN
02-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Congratulations, One of my favorite freshwater fish!

agelesssone
02-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Chris,

How did your trip to Dale Hollow go this weekend?

TNtransplant08
02-06-2012, 06:40 AM
TNtransplant,

Give berkley's fireline crystal a shot. It casts great, holds a knot well, and is TOUGH. I landed a 20 lb striper that had wrapped me around a rock BEFORE burning off 50+ yards of 10 lb test fireline crystal. I had to bring the fish back and around the rock against current, and hooked and landed a 15 lber on my next cast without retying my line (I should have, but the stripers were decimating shad in 3 ft of rough water and I lacked the willpower to not cast).

Chris

I think I will sometime. Thanks for bringing that to mind. I used to use the orginial Berkley fireline all the time before I switch to Yozuri. To be honest with you, I have no idea why I made the switch. LOL. I absolutely loved the fireline.

TNtransplant08
02-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Congrats! Still waiting for my first one! Did you have any luck with any other species??

Thanks! That was the only fish I caught that morning. I left at 9:00 am, so it may have gotten better later on, but I had some husbandly duties I needed to perform before my wife got home.